Graphics Card between 100-150$ ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

GotFight

GotFight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey people I currently have a GeForce GT 610 and ii'd like to upgrade to another with a budget of 100-150$ What do you suggest?

GotFight?

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

If you don't have a strong enough power supply, GTX 750 Ti ($139 USD) is an excellent choice as it does not require an extra 6-pin power connector. It is very power efficient and offers good price-performance ratio.

If you do have a strong enough power supply, jump for the R9 270 ($149 USD) or the R9 270x ($154 USD) because they'll offer better performance than the GTX 750 Ti for the price range, but only if you have a strong enough power supply of a reputable brand (probably at least 500W).

Edited by Silverfire, 30 March 2015 - 05:10 PM.

• HubbaBubba9849 likes this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

In that price range you could probably snag a pretty sweet used card like a 660 ti.

No crew

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

if you are willing to jump up in price, you can pick up gtx960s for $200

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I have bought myself a GeForce GTX 970 some months ago for, I think, ~ 250€. Now this beast costs like 470€ (?)

I would recommend you to wait because prices are going crazy oO

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

who would buy a gtx 970 for that much?

http://www.newegg.co...07709 600536049

the price on the gtx970 is fairly consistent. the prices of the amd cards are way inflated due to bitcoin mining 

Edited by OdinTheWise, 31 March 2015 - 09:44 PM.

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
Who'd buy a 970 in the first place?

No crew

Jelooboi

Jelooboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

honestly you should just save a little more money for a more decent graphics card. I did that and got me a sweet GTX680 for $320. totally worth it, can run all the fuzzy bunny games of this year on ultra and expect to squeeze 5 more years out of it.

Hell, the Gtx 8800 that debuted in 2007 ran tomb raider on normal settings just fine...fuzzy bunnyng incredible. 
The high end cards will always have a longer lifespan and will save you more money in the long run 

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Who'd buy a 970 in the first place?

why wouldnt you buy a gtx 970?

• DreamedArtist likes this

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hey people I currently have a GeForce GT 610 and ii'd like to upgrade to another with a budget of 100-150$ What do you suggest?

would saving a bit more be an issue or you only really have 150?  cause I would just suck it up and save a bit more to get a card around 400 or 300 to not need an upgrade for a long time and have more options on maxing games out in the long run.

• CrimsonKaim and Jelooboi like this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

would saving a bit more be an issue or you only really have 150? cause I would just suck it up and save a bit more to get a card around 400 or 300 to not need an upgrade for a long time and have more options on maxing games out in the long run.

You run into the issue of having an unbalanced computer, a far too powerful GPU and the CPU may exist as a bottleneck, thus not getting the most bang for the buck. Also, the OP may not have a strong enough power supply. Why buy a 970 when your PSU is only a generic branded 400W which probably only outputting 300W?

And yes, saving money is always an option, but some people don't have that option so what I recommended I think is a fair compromise for price and performance (fits within the budget and gives great performance). The 270x is a underrated card. You can even find a R9 280 for around $165 USD.

lNM7VnC.png

Jelooboi

Jelooboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

You run into the issue of having an unbalanced computer, a far too powerful GPU and the CPU may exist as a bottleneck, thus not getting the most bang for the buck. Also, the OP may not have a strong enough power supply. Why buy a 970 when your PSU is only a generic branded 400W which probably only outputting 300W?

And yes, saving money is always an option, but some people don't have that option so what I recommended I think is a fair compromise for price and performance (fits within the budget and gives great performance). The 270x is a underrated card. You can even find a R9 280 for around $165 USD.

Not the case sometimes. They way I upgraded my pc was gradually and I started with the graphics card. Over time I replaced the motherboard and cpu so it's just a matter of what you're going to upgrade to. You do have a point though so it's up to Gotfight to decide if he wants to upgrade those in the future 

• DreamedArtist likes this

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

why wouldnt you buy a gtx 970?

Because it's advertised as a 4GB card, when in reality you're purchasing a card that's optimally a 3.5GB card....meh.

No crew

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Not the case sometimes. They way I upgraded my pc was gradually and I started with the graphics card. Over time I replaced the motherboard and cpu so it's just a matter of what you're going to upgrade to. You do have a point though so it's up to Gotfight to decide if he wants to upgrade those in the future 

Which is why I'm hesitant to offer a higher end solution because I don't know the rest of the components in the computer.  It may not even be worth upgrading, so keeping a reasonable budget for a new card may be in order, instead of gradually upgrading the whole computer.  Some people may not be confident enough to replace a CPU or even a motherboard (which would require a new installation of OS for motherboard) because it 1. looks complicated 2. don't know how 3. any other reason.

lNM7VnC.png

DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Because it's advertised as a 4GB card, when in reality you're purchasing a card that's optimally a 3.5GB card....meh.

I had the 970 before getting the 980 3way sli and the fact everything was bitching about the 3.5 gb I had no issues running stuff at 1440p on my 4k monitor without having those slowdown issues

I found out if you run 4k res or 1440 with extremely modded games with that card you WILL run into that memory issue they all bitched about but anything at 1080p you wont notice at all.

Edited by DreamedArtist, 06 April 2015 - 07:45 AM.

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

I had the 970 before getting the 980 3way sli and the fact everything was bitching about the 3.5 gb I had no issues running stuff at 1440p on my 4k monitor without having those slowdown issues

I found out if you run 4k res or 1440 with extremely modded games with that card you WILL run into that memory issue they all bitched about but anything at 1080p you wont notice at all.

For now, on current games. What's the longevity of this card with newer, potentially more demanding games? And finally, I don't believe many people buying a 970 have 1080p in mind, that's what the 750ti and 960 flavored cards are for. 

No crew

DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

For now, on current games. What's the longevity of this card with newer, potentially more demanding games? And finally, I don't believe many people buying a 970 have 1080p in mind, that's what the 750ti and 960 flavored cards are for. 

so you are telling me people who get the 970 are people with 1440p screens or higher? seems like you got your facts wrong my friend, not much people have 3 to 400 to spend on a monitor,   nvidia advertised these cards to people wanting to run 1440p or 4k and have you seen the benchmarks of these things running on those resolutions? it's horrid fuzzy bunny 40% of the time

1080p is a standard in gaming for pc gaming and 1440p is the elite standpoint, 4k is like a testing ground for gamers and to run that res at 60fps you need at least 2  980's which I know not many people have money for.

the 970 still has a hard time running a lot of games even at 1080p hell even the 980 dips to 40 on some games 

And I know plenty of people hell I work at a computer store in my town building pc's for people gaming ones and they buy the 970 to run 1080p builds and I built around maybe 200+ so far? so the demand is high for this res.

Welcome to the world of pc gaming folks.

Edited by DreamedArtist, 06 April 2015 - 09:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users