Dear Developers - CF645C23

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

• PlayStation Members
  • 5 posts

I'm an IT professional with 20yrs of experience (Don't judge me, I'm a kid at heart.) I've been really enjoying this game despite its issues with staying connected. I've read past posts to try to determine where the issue might be with my constant disconnects every match or two.

Here's what I have and know.

1. My connection is LTE based. I have a signal strength of about -75dBm or about 3 bars at LTE. My phone at 3G has 4-5 bars consistently. I can see the nearest tower from my house.

2. I've setup a ping to 8.8.8.8 (googles DNS server IP) to base line my connectivity during play periods. I stopped after being disconnected with the error in the topic title.

a. Minimum ping time was 92ms
  b. Maximum ping time was 916ms (This was very much outside of the norm.)

c. Reported average was 131ms. I only exclusively saw between 100-150ms pings

b. Out of 792 packets sent, 0 packets were lost. My connection to googles DNS servers was solid if a little laggy.

3. Reconnecting to the game network took more time than logging into this forum site including typing in my PSN password.

4. At times when I've got the disconnection notice, I've voice chatted with other people also disconnected.

Is this the normal game experience? Is there an issue with the system? Can we expect better performance? Is the game ULTRA sensitive to a packet or two falling outside of 100-150ms and that is the cause of disconnects?

Thanks.

<Edit: My region is North America>

Edited by (PS4)Poo-Shivers, 07 March 2017 - 06:41 PM.

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

We did some more digging on this topic.  There is a strange tradeoff between the number of retries we can do and what begins to violate console certification requirements.  In this case, the client appears to be receiving notification from the underlying PS4 that the network connection somehow failed.  While we were in cert testing we got dinged on this very thing because there was code that was retrying the connection too many times - PS4/XB1 platform certification requires that the client respond promptly enough to notifications about network cables being yanked or wireless networks failing.

We've got a solution in QA right now that we hope significantly reduces the chances of "disconnection detection" during matches, which is when it seems this flavor of disconnect happens most often.  To confirm, has that been your (and others') experience?  That you tend to get disconnected during matches rather than, say, in the menus?

• (PS4)frostdragon2013 likes this

(PS4)frostdragon2013

(PS4)frostdragon2013

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 164 posts

Most of the time disconnects happen during the mach except on wreckage where you just crash

Most posts i make are taken from members of a large hawken community called krimson's cutthroat commandos o7

i'm a JOBS pilot who takes the souls of brave scouts

i play sharpshooter and vytro at long range because point blank is long range right?

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

• PlayStation Members
  • 5 posts

We did some more digging on this topic.  There is a strange tradeoff between the number of retries we can do and what begins to violate console certification requirements.  In this case, the client appears to be receiving notification from the underlying PS4 that the network connection somehow failed.  While we were in cert testing we got dinged on this very thing because there was code that was retrying the connection too many times - PS4/XB1 platform certification requires that the client respond promptly enough to notifications about network cables being yanked or wireless networks failing.

We've got a solution in QA right now that we hope significantly reduces the chances of "disconnection detection" during matches, which is when it seems this flavor of disconnect happens most often.  To confirm, has that been your (and others') experience?  That you tend to get disconnected during matches rather than, say, in the menus?

Makes sense from a certification stand point. I could see single packet response spikes causing a false positive in disconnection, or triggering lag cheating detection. I'm not seeing multiple spikes in response time but I'm also pinging a 3rd party from a laptop on the same internal segment as my PS4. I don't have the internal network infrastructure to inspect packets leaving my PS4 (port mirroring) to be able to determine response times to servers so I don't know what the traffic is like between my PS4, PSN, and your servers. I have also not been conversing with many players as I'm new and rarely stay connected for a complete match. I do have a friend that plays on PS4 and his connection with a different provider has been solid.

My disconnection patterns are not exclusive or heavy weighted to in match time. It seems to be time based and to throw a wrench in things, reconnection is spotty unless I close the application and relaunch it. I can't say that restarting the PS4 showed any more improvement over closing and relaunching the Hawken application.

I was most surprised that voice communications seemed to be up for a period after getting Error: CF645C23. I don't know the details of any voice APIs or PSN APIs but that seemed like an indicator that PSN traffic at the very least was uninterrupted.

Further more, I had another hard error come up in the PS4 UI when switching to defense mode in a Vanguard mech. I didn't record the error but did submit the error report, I'm hoping Sony shares this with you.

I'll try to check back frequently to see if you have more questions or testing procedures. I can make more direct contact information available if you would like as well. Any idea what the lead time on the QA on the patch is like? If I get too frustrated, I'd like to at least attempt this again after an LTE booster and the patch is in place. The game seems great thus far.

- Poo-Shivers 

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

• PlayStation Members
  • 5 posts

Update -

Since responding I've tried a number of times to reconnect. "Syncing Account" chugs for a while before I'm back at the Press X to login screen.

I've closed the application.

I've reopened and selected "Logging in" This takes about 10 seconds and goes to "Syncing Account" which takes about 15 seconds. "Syncing stats" takes about 5 seconds and I'm connected.

I'm positive if I queue for a match it will happen in a timely fashion and I'll get about 5min of game play before being Disconnected. I decided to stay in menus browsing mechs. I unlocked another mech from completing bonuses listed on the right handside. "Syncing Account" and "Syncing Stats" completes in a significantly longer period of time. My ping statistics are as posted at the top. I was disconnected in the Mech menu after 16min of connectivity.

- Poo-Shivers

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

• PlayStation Members
  • 5 posts

Update 2 - 

I've been sitting here just retrying to see if I could get a different response hoping to find new conditions or changes for you. I just got error 51C58D8A trying to reconnect without shutting down the application. I lost 1 packet to 8.8.8.8 on a ping -t during this time.

- Poo-Shivers

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Out of curiosity - connections aside, is the PS4 plugged in via ethernet cable or a wireless router? I doubt that will make a difference in any case, but it's something to check up on, especially if LTE based.

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

(PS4)Poo-Shivers

• PlayStation Members
  • 5 posts

Out of curiosity - connections aside, is the PS4 plugged in via ethernet cable or a wireless router? I doubt that will make a difference in any case, but it's something to check up on, especially if LTE based.

Its connected via wireless. I've adjusted the location of the wireless router and measure a 98% signal strength. The connection diagnostics I've been running have been from a laptop also on wireless. I can test again tonight using a wired connection. I'm debating using a proper switch to sniff traffic between my PS4 and your servers. Realistically I'd only use this to determine the addressing of your servers to run more connection tests from my laptop.

Lorenzitto

Lorenzitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users