* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Odra

Odra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

It's nice to have a loyal core of followers, but a measly few hundred players aren't worth much when trying to get some sweet, sweet DLC cash, Hawken needs mass casual appeal to get an inviting population, which in turn increases the chance to cash in with DLC.

Once you maintain a sizable pool of casual players many will undoubtedly explore the more competitive aspect the game has to offer.

Relaunch campaign aimed at getting new players into Hawken:

• Front page banner, with "FREE TO PLAY" stamped over it and a blurb about new features.
  • 5 TF2/DOTA2 Promos tied to Mech ranks, The first item is free and you unlock each other item by achieving a new rank with a mech (Either get a single mech to Rank 5, or four mechs to Rank 2) thus ensuring people play the game rather than simply download it and forget it. (Think "Poker Night")

Game itself:

• Workshop support for community made cosmetics.
  • An SDK to submit potential Maps and Models to Workshop.
  • Revised equipment pricing, the internals are fairly priced, but the weapons themselves end up costing almost as much as a low priced mech.
  • Casual mode where MMR, Win/Loss/Abandon and KDR is not logged, player limit is raised and the gameplay is more lax (lower skill ceiling) while keeping the original game modes under a competitive section.
  • More information on the server screen, "Time left on a match" and "Score", when I played I absolutely hated dropping in to a 10 second match or a match with a 120-3000 scoreboard.
  • A handicap balancer for siege when there is a pubstomp due to players leaving their teammates and abandoning the server. Once the base health reach a gap of 1500 the losing team gets a temporary percentage-based buff which increases their damage and armor. The buff is automatically removed when the gap becomes 500. This handicap will only come into effect once per match.

I am not saying the game itself should be changed, unless the devs feel there are balance issues that need to be addressed.

What I am saying is that newcomers need to be offered a more streamlined introductory experience to Hawken in the form of casual servers, which are completely separate from the Hawken gameplay we are used to (which would remain intact)

• Zilph likes this

cj19DGF.jpg

"Less Pew Pew; More EU!"

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

nice idea...would be great 

• Zilph likes this

Zilph

Zilph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

What I am saying is that newcomers need to be offered a more streamlined introductory experience to Hawken in the form of casual servers, which are completely separate from the Hawken gameplay we are used to (which would remain intact)

I won't comment on the rest of your post above that (they are good suggestions) because we could go about this^ in many different ways. This idea is something I've wanted to talk about for a long time, but it's hard given how the previous forums went down AND even when they were up, everyone was in a state of hopelessness.

Newcomers rarely enjoy the game. Those that do are either really good at it, or don't mind losing. Hawken does have a high learning curve, but you don't need to make the game 'easier' to fix this.

This is probably the billionth time I've made a link with Halo today (the two games just feel strangely similar, okay?) but Halo 3 had something creative. The Social playlists, and the Ranked playlists. 

As said above, we need an opening for casual players to enjoy the game. With the game being free to play, you are going to get all types of players because ANYONE can come in, not just those who would otherwise show a direct interest by sinking $15 or more into the game if it wasn't free to play. Free to play games typically need to cater for a wider, more casual audience, they need to be easygoing in most cases. But the issue shouldn't come down to whether or not you neglect the competitive players or the casual players, it should realistically cater for both.

But, it sounds easier on paper, I know that. It's not simple to make everyone happy. But consider making a 'laid back' portion of servers or matchmaking, because that works for everyone. Hardcore players who get tired of playing hardcore can relax and go play pubs in this casual side of the game, but often casual players don't enjoy playing what would be a 'ranked' side of the game because the only thing stopping them from enjoying it is other players who are naturally trying their absolute best to win.

So this begs the question, how do we have a fun and casual side of the game compared to what we already have? (or make a competitive side to the game instead?) How do we do it in a way that extremely skilled players won't absolutely crush people who are just there to have fun?

Well, that's what discussion is for. If there's one thing that should be a given, it's that anyone playing in this casual side of the game shouldn't be restricted to what they can unlock. They should still earn HC and XP, but probably not earn any MMR ratings (which should be a more prevalent statistic by the way, something presented. Think of it as a player's rank as opposed to their 1-30 XP level. It'd give people a reason to play the portion of the game which gives them MMR, something to show off, something to earn besides XP and HC).

On that same note, having a more competitive side to the game instead wouldn't be half bad. Game modes that give restrictions on what items or internals can be used. I've never been in the competitive scene of Hawken, but I heard that scanners are usually banned, so why not restrict them in these game modes? If anyone here has done competitive play, maybe they can weigh in with more examples please?

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Don't forget this hawkenshirt.jpg  or this  hawkencap.jpg   (I know there's more images out there of some custom ones..)

I want this. I want it now.

Simple ones with the logos or with designs.

"Free to Play - www.playhawken.com" on the back.

Crowdfund it to secure sales. Profit.

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

I think HAWKEN really needs a new trailer or promo video that will both attract attention from new players and really show that HAWKEN is having a reboot. Not even a trailer, just another great cinematic video with a catchy title like "Resurrection" (One of the possible update titles apparently)

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users