• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

The adrenalin of the Sudden Death moment is gone, i'll miss it.

Also what is the rule that gives the win to a team over the other ?

• MomOw likes this

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Are you asking how it decides which team wins if it's a tie? It's the team that most recently got a kill I think

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I am very interested to know the logic behind removing sudden death and shortening TDM length from 10 min to 8.

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
I mentioned this in the bug thread. It has to be a mistake that is going to get fixed. Shortening match length to 8 mins doesn't bother me though.
  • FRX23 and TangledMantis like this

wmmoney.png

Leghorn10314

Leghorn10314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Also noted the loss of chat in-between games, but a much shorter wait time as well.

Overall, I am enjoying the new games and players and learning about all the tweaks you've made, and the new mechs and items and internals, stat changes, special ability tweaks, etc.

Turreting changes are good too. I'm hoping that some sort of MMR system will show up and keep me from being fodder in face of the true pilots of Hawken; game balance and skill level mixes still distract play somewhat, but overall it's been really fun again. Be nice if we could sort our garaged mechs. Those are just observations, I get the whole still-working-on-it thing, at least you really are working on it, huge in itself. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Edited by Leghorn10314, 29 May 2017 - 05:20 PM.

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

I am very interested to know the logic behind removing sudden death and shortening TDM length from 10 min to 8.

Allow people to play more matches, a strategy for attract new players maybe? 

Sudden death will also scare off new players.

As for vet? Howken you still plain' this brok--      ?

Ic6j9zJ.png

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Dude, its whichever team gets to 40 first.
Sudden death just means both teams are on 39.

I like the sense of urgency it created tho...
  • Bad_BennyAK likes this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Dude, its whichever team gets to 40 first.
Sudden death just means both teams are on 39.

I like the sense of urgency it created tho...

Not when both teams have 39 when the clock reaches 0:00

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Are you asking how it decides which team wins if it's a tie? It's the team that most recently got a kill I think

That's what i thought in the first place but i see the opposite happen, so it's why i ask.

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Allow people to play more matches, a strategy for attract new players maybe? 

Sudden death will also scare off new players.

As for vet? Howken you still plain' this brok--      ?

What about shortening match time from 10 minutes to 8 makes it more attractive to new players? Reducing the match time increases the amount of downtime per play session since there's more instances of map rotation and lobby setup. I don't know why new players would view that as a positive trait.

I also don't see how sudden death would scare off new players. Is that seriously a thing?

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 30 May 2017 - 12:30 PM.

• talons1337, -Tj- and Nov8tr like this

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

What about shortening match time from 10 minutes to 8 makes it more attractive to new players? Reducing the match time increases the amount of downtime per play session since there's more instances of map rotation and lobby setup. I don't know why new players would view that as a positive trait.

I also don't see how sudden death would scare off new players. Is that seriously a thing?

Gotta agree with TBS on this one.  It doesn't make sense.  The wait times are already too long (especially when there is no garage and no chat during that time in the current build).

And, if we learned anything from the "Weekend Warrior" event, it's that a longer, larger match attracted more players.  In fact, not only did I see people logging in for those 128 player, 2 hour matches that I hadn't seen in forever, it quickly became the only match anyone was playing.

So, we need longer match times and greater player counts, not less and lower.

• Bad_BennyAK likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Not when both teams have 39 when the clock reaches 0:00

I see what you mean now. So is it the first team that reached 39? the one that more recently reached 39, or some other metric?

Yes, i think that could use clarification. 

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

I mentioned this in the bug thread. It has to be a mistake that is going to get fixed. Shortening match length to 8 mins doesn't bother me though.

8 minutes is enough time for Lt.Dan to get over 1000 points. :)

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
I would guess it compares the total scores of both teams and awards the win to the team with more points. That's just a guess, though.

I'm one of those who doesn't like the shorter matches with no sudden death. SD match finishes were one of my favorite parts of the game. Ending a match with a 2 to 3 minute SD is super intense. Without even the option to have those, TDM has kinda lost it's intensity for me.

The shorter match times have also made TDM less strategic, even if only by a little. More time means teams have more opportunity to bring back a losing score (yes, it can and does happen). When ADH shortened it before, it wasn't that bad. 8 minutes feels way too short, though.

The longer matches with higher kill ceilings simply feel more satisfying.

Edited by -Tj-, 01 June 2017 - 05:16 PM.

• FRX23 likes this

Malyngo

Malyngo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I remember people being blamed because they were the ones that were on the dying part of "Sudden death".

So yeah, newer players just might get the blame for losing the match, because "they were the ones that lost it".

Longer match times are great when the matches are balanced. If they are unbalanced, at least the losing sides just wants to be done with it.

Maybe something dynamic would help, like if the software detects a Steam roll, let the time run faster, and if it is a even match, drag it out more?

But having the times different might just as well be very annoying.

• 6ixxer likes this

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
I'd love an extra-time system.

Standard match is 8 min, if the kill counts are close enough (lower team has 75% of the kills of the leading team) it adds 5 min.
If at the end of that 5 min the team that was lower has closed the gap at all it adds a final 5 min, but if they their kills are not closing on the leading team then it finishes.
eg:
at 8min the score is 20/15 = add 5 min
at 13min the score is 30/23 = add 5 min (otherwise if it was 30/20,etc then end the match)

Balanced matches could run out to 18min, but unbalanced ones only 8min.
This way you get more of those good balanced matches, and less of stomping matches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users