• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

It's getting very frustrating that every time, within 2 minutes of starting Hawken, the game minimizes and I get a message from Windows 7 64bit warning me about poor performance due to desktop color scheme settings... asking me if I want to switch to a basic setting temporarily, switch permanently, or ignore the warning.

I am NOT having any performance issues.  Hawken is running at the highest and most stable FPS that it's had since... ever (for me).  My machine is not having any performance problems while Hawken is running either (I've checked).

So, what is Hawken doing that keeps prompting this?

• WillyW likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

everything seems fine over here. i also run windows 7 64. 

they'll fix it up next patch. it's coming very soon.

i only play hawken to hear bullets and metal shred apart like pieces.  anything deeper than that, i'll leave to the geniuses that we have now working on this wonderful piece of equipm.mment. 

ReversusRex

ReversusRex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Windows 7 itself is probably the culprit here. It has probably been set to trigger that suggestion whenever your CPU usage goes over a certain threshold. 

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Windows 7 itself is probably the culprit here. It has probably been set to trigger that suggestion whenever your CPU usage goes over a certain threshold. 

That was my first inclination... but Hawken is only utilizing 30% of my CPU and I always close all other applications and processes I don't need when I game.  I'm running a pretty beefy Core i7 and 64GB RAM on an 8GB GPU.  I play several other games that are far more resource intensive than Hawken that don't cause this... and it only started with the big update.

But, I'm willing to entertain any suggestions that I can try to eliminate the issue.

Edited by StubbornPuppet, 14 June 2017 - 07:26 AM.

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Maybe try adjusting your visual effects under "performance options" in Windows 7? I think that's all the Windows Aero stuff (someone tell me if I'm wrong).

http://kb.xploretech...ticle10738.aspx

I recommend leaving "smooth edges of screen fonts" checked while unchecking anything else.

Edit: a few tricks to disable the message from appearing https://superuser.co...ormance-warning

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 14 June 2017 - 07:39 AM.

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I was having the same issue as the OP. But it recently seemed to have stopped.

2XhpJes.png

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Maybe try adjusting your visual effects under "performance options" in Windows 7? I think that's all the Windows Aero stuff (someone tell me if I'm wrong).

http://kb.xploretech...ticle10738.aspx

I recommend leaving "smooth edges of screen fonts" checked while unchecking anything else.

Edit: a few tricks to disable the message from appearing https://superuser.co...ormance-warning

Thanks Butt.  I've always already had Aero turned off and I'm already configured the way you recommend.  I'll read over the info in the link and try it out tonight.

Still, I am confident that this is something funky with Hawken - likely related to the problem with being unable to switch windows using the "Alt-Tab" or "Shift - Tab" functions, as I can automatically get the color scheme warning by doing either.  My guess is that the console port to PC hasn't quite been fully optimized for Windows yet - as also evident in how the UI doesn't observe the users monitor resolution.

Gueber

Gueber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

What is your memory usage at when it happens? There is no way you should be running out but that is usually the only reason that message comes up.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2017 Is Going To Be A Great Year For HAWKEN!

qeR5kU2.gifNBzGwOK.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I have the same exact issue. No solutions thus far.

What the Heca-

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

What is your memory usage at when it happens? There is no way you should be running out but that is usually the only reason that message comes up.

Memory usage is 17%.  Nope, not that.

Yummi_Kitteh

Yummi_Kitteh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Actually it's not ram dependent, much more drastic stuff happens when ram is running low. The shift to "Basic" visuals is triggered by Desktop Window Manager or DWM, it's responsible for "checking" if the current D3D/OpenGL or DirectDraw surface is being rendered appropriately. Even just the tiniest screw up in the rendering pipeline can cause DWM to go "Uh oh! Somethings wrong here, quick! Switch to basic!" this trigger can be something as simple as v-sync not engaging properly(i.e. inverse v-sync or lazy sync/sync on blank), or something stupid such as a bad shader cache or as serious as buffer flush problems. DWM pretty much just sits there and makes sure you can maintain aero visuals at monitor refresh WHILE running whatever 3D render, it's essentially a formula of [Desktop framerate + concurrent D3D  framerate/ Monitor Refresh  = Aero/DWM stability].

However, depending on the problem causing it, the basic color scheme can be reverted by stopping and restarting DWM in Services in Admin Tools in Control Panel(Win 10 users can easily access the Control Panel not the Settings Menu via right clicking the start menu to show the 'secret' start menu), if it's more serious only way to return to aero is by closing the offending app, in this case, hawken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users