• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

If Theresa May, Angela Merkel, or your regional equivalent of Conservative dictator's machinations has not forced you to live under a rock for the past few centuries, it will come as no surprise to you that the Highways map is based on the "Destruction Map" tech demo that was showcased many years ago:

Obviously, such a feature would cause mere mortal rigs to heat up to the point at which it could be used as a surrogate kettle so it is no surprise that the map and its respective gimmick saw no light.

That is, until the former somehow managed to crawl out of the woodwork, hurling up a pool of bile as it did, and waddled over to us like the Gorgon of a map that it is.

I do not like Highways. Highways is not a good map. Calling it a bad map would be an unforgivable insult towards bad maps everywhere. Most bad maps are considered bad because of a less-than-optimal structure, or that it looks ugly. Highways managed to pull both obscenities off.

If I left fifteen (15) laptop chargers to tangle for a decade or two, and then had it have a passionate love-making session with The Smiler roller coaster from Alton Towers, the offspring's convoluted structure wouldn't be nearly as unholy as the abomination of a map that decided to grace the public build of Hawken.

The first question that I want to ask is how this managed to pass cert:

Spoiler

This honestly looks like a mapmaker got bored in the Unreal Editor, and tried to see how many spare assets he could stack on top of each other to make an amusing shape.

The same developer thought it would be hilarious to jam two large floppy disks into the side of these structures, too:

Spoiler

Nice highways, m7. They're so good that they lead off into the bloody nether:

Spoiler

And that's not the only one that does it.

Spoiler

I can see the corner of the map. 

Spoiler

What is this lighting?

Spoiler

The newest addition to the lore was floating buildings. The mechs can do it, so why not the living accommodations?

Spoiler

It's obvious as fuzzy bunny that this is a map intended for no other purpose than to be a tech demo. There's no cohesion or sense to it. Immersion and gameplay are either supposed to go hand in hand, or one of them should not be at the detriment of the other. This map both sacrifices immersion for no apparent reason, and also sacrifices gameplay because "haha it's supposed to be convoluted and not fun, because that's what highways are". 

The verticality of the map combined with the incredible amount of layers and pure W A L L that scours the map detriments the flow of gameplay dramatically and turns it into more of a camping fest and platformer than anything. Dodging flings me off of the side of a road, for goodness sake! This amount of P U R E  W A L L was not meant to be in a game. At all.

A tech demo was released and it was named a map.
It's unfinished and unpolished.

Join me in the campaign to get this map to live up to its true potential.

#Justice4Highways

Edited by SparkyJJC, 15 July 2017 - 02:24 AM.

• Miscellaneous, hellc9943, Amidatelion and 11 others like this

AXgnWyr.png

Gueber

Gueber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Highways is more or less finalized but good luck in your campaign.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2017 Is Going To Be A Great Year For HAWKEN!

qeR5kU2.gifNBzGwOK.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

popeco

popeco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Beautiful writing, A+ assessment, thanku for this.

EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

SO from what I have seen, our new Hawken Developers have released what they call "NEW" content, by adding mech chassis that were already made (and making stupid decisions about weapon combinations) and adding a tech demo map that was never interned to be balanced or even used in-game afaik and called it "NEW" also.

Damn lazy devs, cant even do their job properly, firstly they gotta re-write the whole game so that it plays like garbage and looks like garbage then they dress up old assets and call them 'new.

• Zavier_ likes this

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

SO from what I have seen, our new Hawken Developers have released what they call "NEW" content, by adding mech chassis that were already made (and making stupid decisions about weapon combinations) and adding a tech demo map that was never interned to be balanced or even used in-game afaik and called it "NEW" also.

Damn lazy devs, cant even do their job properly, firstly they gotta re-write the whole game so that it plays like garbage and looks like garbage then they dress up old assets and call them 'new.

Oh Jesus. Had they not released anything by now you'd be crying fowl - yes that's a pun. Now that they release something you're not happy because it's not what you want. WaaaaaaH ! The Devs got no chance to win. Just play dude, not that hard, game is fun.
  • FunkMaster67 and Chaplain5 like this

wmmoney.png

EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Oh Jesus. Had they not released anything by now you'd be crying fowl - yes that's a pun. Now that they release something you're not happy because it's not what you want. WaaaaaaH ! The Devs got no chance to win. Just play dude, not that hard, game is fun.

Sorry dude, you have no idea what I think, can you read my mind can you?

Don't take my opinions so personally, they are called opinions for a reason.

In my eyes they took a good game and turned it into garbage. You may like it but I don't.

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Highways and me

And I* thank you very much you uncouth, uneducated RASCAL *sniff*

Edited by Sp3ctrr, 15 July 2017 - 05:14 AM.

• Miscellaneous and SparkyJJC like this

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Sorry dude, you have no idea what I think, can you read my mind can you?

Don't take my opinions so personally, they are called opinions for a reason.

In my eyes they took a good game and turned it into garbage. You may like it but I don't.

I don't need to be a mind reader to know whining when I read it. They've been clear and transparent that this is an unfinished patch. There was a ton of community pressure to get something out. It's not perfect by any means but we got what we asked for. It's just not what a lot of us wanted. Oh well, that's life.

wmmoney.png

EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I don't need to be a mind reader to know whining when I read it. They've been clear and transparent that this is an unfinished patch. There was a ton of community pressure to get something out. It's not perfect by any means but we got what we asked for. It's just not what a lot of us wanted. Oh well, that's life.

Well, you are obviously bloody stupid. Feedback and peoples opinions help the 'powers that be' to know what the general public are thinking.

Hawken was a complete and released game which the new devs then rebuilt and are now going backwards by 'updating' it calling it an 'unfinished beta patch'.

Instead of telling other people on a PUBLIC FORUM to, essentially, 'shut-up' is moronic.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Hawken was a complete and released game which the new devs then rebuilt and are now going backwards by 'updating' it calling it an 'unfinished beta patch'.

Fact Check:  Hawken had been in 'Open Beta', a pre-release status, since 12/12/2012. 

Well, you are obviously bloody stupid. Feedback and peoples opinions help the 'powers that be' to know what the general public are thinking.

Instead of telling other people on a PUBLIC FORUM to, essentially, 'shut-up' is moronic.

I think you may want to reread what you wrote here, maybe get a little distance and consider the words you've written against the thought you're conveying. 

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Fact Check:  Hawken had been in 'Open Beta', a pre-release status, since 12/12/2012. 

I think you may want to reread what you wrote here, maybe get a little distance and consider the words you've written against the thought you're conveying.

LOL.

My point stands.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Hawken was not a complete and released game, in all technicality, so your point does not stand. It actually falls over flat on its face.

Hawken has indeed since been in Open Beta since 12/12/12, and has been on Steam Early Access (for free) since 2014.  Both labels distinctly indicate an unfinished game.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

To the OP:

It is to my personal opinion that the dev team doesn't have proper map people.  Like at all.  They "fixed" the lighting problem, which they probably just baked in whatever existed pre-release, extended a few sloppy walls and pushed it out. This doesn't require a proper artist, just probably some people who have knowledge on the UE engine in order to fix it on a code standpoint and then throw it out there on the live build. It is not a balanced map, it is not a finished map, it's whatever ADH left behind from their tech demo map, added more blue walls and called it a new map.  They sure as hell have not demonstrated ability to release truly new content that's of respectable quality in comparison to ADH's assets. This map could have been used for Siege 2.0, or some fancy gamemode that ADH cooked up but it hasn't.

Pushing out content in conjunction with fixing bugs and gamebreaking issues would not be an issue if such gamebreaking issues and bugs persist through multiple patchesand if the content was of adequate quality (see: Highways issues, less vibrant colors and textures) and balance (see: new mechs and G2 implementation).  Whatever the devs did to push the test build out to live a month ago fundamentally broke the game in almost every aspect.

• SparkyJJC, DieselCat and DingdongJR like this

lNM7VnC.png

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

It might be the by-product of the Hawken-virus, so, it's probably lore...you'll just have to wait and see.

EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hawken was not a complete and released game, in all technicality, so your point does not stand. It actually falls over flat on its face.

Hawken has indeed since been in Open Beta since 12/12/12, and has been on Steam Early Access (for free) since 2014.  Both labels distinctly indicate an unfinished game.

Official steam website: Release Date: 15 Feb, 2014

Whatever you believe it to have been is irrelevant if the official consensus is "released".

And my point was this:

Please learn to read.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

I heard many good things about this new map.. Maybe i should try it!?

decision-gif.gif

• DieselCat likes this

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Interesting position, telling others to learn to read when you can't yourself it appears. I didn't tell you to shut up, I told you to stop whining like a child. If say you had solutions to the babble you're crying over I'd would be more than happy to hear it. However, you don't. You're whining about really small issues right now such as what "new" means and "lazy devs". Be a baby it's cool, you're entitled but don't crap your pants when you're called out for it ON A PUBLIC FORUM. Let's the tears begin in 3... 2....

wmmoney.png

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Official steam website: Release Date: 15 Feb, 2014

Whatever you believe it to have been is irrelevant if the official consensus is "released".

And my point was this:

Please learn to read.

Released to what capacity? It was released to Steam Early Access at that time, which, by nature of Early Access, indicates an incomplete game, and also not fully released because it is very clearly missing parts of the game.

One could even argue the game was released on 12/12/12 when it was made available during Open Beta. Could that be considered a full release? A complete game?

lNM7VnC.png

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Soo am I the only one that actually likes this map O_o

There's a few issues I think, it'd be cool to have a few jumppads scattered around and one of the highway ramps has an invisible wall your mech gets stuck on but other than that it's a cool map imo.. I wish I could play siege on it, that'd be cool.

Edited by PsychedelicGrass, 16 July 2017 - 04:43 PM.

• Nolo24 likes this

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users