- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

_Ruar_

_Ruar_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've played about 4 total hours now and wanted to provide some feedback.

I play PC and loaded from Steam.  I was pushed straight into a match with no idea about what was going on.  I'd much prefer some kind of training ground so I can get used to the movements and weapons some.  At the least knowing it was just a match against computer bots would have helped.  Eventually I figured out what was going on, but that's not how I like to start a new FPS game.

For some reason everytime I start the game it wants me to insert a smart card.  I have to click off the popup box three times before it stops asking me.  The bottom right corner of the main screen a lot of time says I'm not connected even though I can play matches.

Getting in the game it's actually quite fun.  I enjoy the mobility of the mechs and jumping feels smooth.  The explosive weapons aren't very fun to use though.  

I was able to try out the Recruit, Vanguard, and Assault mechs with the Assault being my favorite.  I like the assault rifle and vulcan cannon mix.  I wish I could just have two assault rifles and I'm not really sure why one weapon is customizable and the other isn't.  

Heat, abilities, and deployables all felt ok.  I'd like a training area where I can try different loadouts with worrying about getting shot or using up charges.

All in all the game play felt good and enjoyable.

Now, on to the big problems.

Making credits is horrible.  Either I'm not in the right game modes or there is just a tiny amount of credits handed out.  I was using the play any option so maybe that's the problem.  I hope there are game modes that do reward some credits because there's not much point in playing the game when you get 100 credits per match and the mechs and weapons cost 4k+.  That's a LOT of matches.  Like more matches than I'll ever play because it's just not worth the grind.

Tried two PVP matches and it's not much fun.  Everything is so much faster than fighting bots.  TTK really needs to be slowed down so you don't just get surprised and die.  

There is a solid core of a game here, but it needs some work.

• Bad_BennyAK likes this

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

you are way late to this party.... now change your tune to: "it needs to go the fk away" and you'll fit right in

5 years, where have you been that you show up now? elementary school? your feedback is generally unwelcome in the eyes of the community

everything except dying or giving up is generally unwelcome here...

please head for the nearest escape pod and abandon ship lul

Edited by ArchMech, 21 August 2017 - 06:41 PM.

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Geez Arch. Shove that post up your A-hole sideways.

People whine about lack of population.

Increasing population requires new pilots to hang around and it s pretty fuzz'n steep curve for a new pilot to climb.

Ignore him _Ruar_, what region do you play? It will help to find someone who plays the same timezone who can give you some pointers in game.

• Miscellaneous, EM1O, -Tj- and 5 others like this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Welcome to the forums and to Hawken Ruar!

Let me see what I can say in responses to you here...

I've played about 4 total hours now and wanted to provide some feedback.

Feedback from new players is always great.  First impressions mean a lot.  My only counter-point is that I guarantee a lot of your impressions of Hawken will change with more hours.  Some of that stuff that seems awkward, frustrating or confusing up front... becomes a huge part of what is right with the game and what you like about it in the long-run.  I promise.

I play PC and loaded from Steam.  I was pushed straight into a match with no idea about what was going on.  I'd much prefer some kind of training ground so I can get used to the movements and weapons some.  At the least knowing it was just a match against computer bots would have helped.  Eventually I figured out what was going on, but that's not how I like to start a new FPS game.

I don't know what went wrong there.  I haven't started a new account in... well, ever, so it's been years since I played the tutorial.  But, there's supposed to be a tutorial/VR training that you have to go through before you can even get to the garage.  Don't know how you got around it - glitch maybe?

But, I most certainly think that Hawken could use even more detailed and mandatory training for new accounts... especially where the objective based game modes are concerned.  But, you'll catch on and keep learning best-practices and strategies.

For some reason everytime I start the game it wants me to insert a smart card.  I have to click off the popup box three times before it stops asking me.  The bottom right corner of the main screen a lot of time says I'm not connected even though I can play matches.

That's baffling.  I'd take some screenshots and get in touch with 505 Games support.  I've never heard of that one.

Getting in the game it's actually quite fun.  I enjoy the mobility of the mechs and jumping feels smooth.  The explosive weapons aren't very fun to use though. 

That's exactly the things you're going to learn to love about Hawken... except you'll get the hang of the explosive and burst weapons over time and will come to appreciate them even more than the sustain you are having fun with now.  The burst and explosive stuff just takes a lot of practice and time to learn to use right (and you'll understand why that's important after you've been wrecked by players who have it down-pat). 

I was able to try out the Recruit, Vanguard, and Assault mechs with the Assault being my favorite.  I like the assault rifle and vulcan cannon mix.  I wish I could just have two assault rifles and I'm not really sure why one weapon is customizable and the other isn't. 

The reason that only one weapon is customizable and that you can't pick any weapon in the game is two-fold.  First: if you could swap both weapons, there would be "meta-builds" that are Over-Powered and mess up the balance of one mech over the other.  Second: the weapons that cannot be changed are geared towards what makes a specific mech so unique.  If we could swap around everything, which mech you choose would become pointless and they would all feel too similar.  It's been tested and refined for years... the reasoning is sound.

Heat, abilities, and deployables all felt ok.  I'd like a training area where I can try different loadouts with worrying about getting shot or using up charges.

The abilities and deployables are subtle by design.  You can spend time going against the bots in "Bots TDM" and "Coop Bots" modes to get a hang for timing and ideas for usage... but you're going to learn a lot more about them from PvP matches where you watch how better players use them... and, more important, how they avoid your attempts to use them.  Those subtleties become really profound at a higher level of play.

All in all the game play felt good and enjoyable.

For all it's problems, Hawken will become one of your obsessions.  It's really deep, game-play wise, and there is no skill ceiling - you will always, always keep getting better and better and better.

Now, on to the big problems.

Making credits is horrible.  Either I'm not in the right game modes or there is just a tiny amount of credits handed out.  I was using the play any option so maybe that's the problem.  I hope there are game modes that do reward some credits because there's not much point in playing the game when you get 100 credits per match and the mechs and weapons cost 4k+.  That's a LOT of matches.  Like more matches than I'll ever play because it's just not worth the grind.

The grind has become pretty "grindy" since the new build of Hawken came out - the build was meant to bring PC Hawken into parity with the console versions.  The new(ish) developers really need some returns on their investment for this game, so I expect that they've tried to do a lot to incentivize cash purchases.  I'm not much of a micro-transaction guy myself, so I've spent very little compared to most Hawken players.  But, the benefit of the long grind that I've found is that it really does take a very long time to learn to properly play each mech to it's potential - about the time you've finally played one mech long enough to earn enough to buy a new mech and fully equip it... is about the exact amount of time needed to call yourself "proficient".  So, think of it that way ,"You are learning while you're earning."

Tried two PVP matches and it's not much fun.  Everything is so much faster than fighting bots.  TTK really needs to be slowed down so you don't just get surprised and die.

On the TTK and how fast it plays... eh, sort of agree with you.  The game used to have a slightly longer TTK and play a little bit slower, but I'd say that the faster TTK and faster movement (though honestly slight) provided as many improvements as it did detractions.  I liked it a bit longer and slower myself - but the majority of people who were calling for those changes and who now approve of them have strong points about how it made things better.  It's a tough call...

There is a solid core of a game here, but it needs some work.

Yes.  This is a solid core game that needs work still.  And, the new(ish) developers ARE working on it.  While it feels like Hawken is in it's sunset... I am still hopeful for big updates and a swing in popularity.

• EM1O, -Tj-, DieselCat and 2 others like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

LordJim47

LordJim47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

StubbornPuppet, great response-thanks for supporting new players with style. 

Ruar, I play on Xbox and have a Steam account as well.  96% of my time is on Xbox where I use the training ground, accessed via "Play" "Training" "1: Offline Team Deathmatch"  There I have full access to my garaged Mechs and can test any combination of Internals, Weapons, Items and control settings (sensitivity, deadzone, etc).  I routinely end my day of flying my ships of Elite Dangerous with a number of test runs of my next Mech I want to refine and learn what type of fighting it is best suited too.  There is also an Offline Bot Training ground, but I have not spent much time there.  I have learned that the training ground helps understand the mech loadout and some of its limitations, but AI's do not compare to live players--they are much more fun and entirely unpredictable.  The trick to getting good -- like Hestoned, is to never get tired of getting whupped senseless by guys who routinely score 500-600 points per match.  When I get frustrated by their insane skills I focus on one them and do my best to end their kill streak just for fun. Generally I end up dying 9 of 10 times but the one kill makes it all worth the effort.  This game is great at showing you there is always somebody better; but you will also learn the more you play and think through your strategy and tactical strengths your mech has, you will get better and the winning will become addictive.  Have fun and hope to see you on the map.

• CosmicCasey59 likes this

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

The trick to getting good -- like Hestoned, is to never get tired of getting whupped senseless by guys who routinely score 500-600 points per match.  When I get frustrated by their insane skills I focus on one them and do my best to end their kill streak just for fun. Generally I end up dying 9 of 10 times but the one kill makes it all worth the effort.  This game is great at showing you there is always somebody better; but you will also learn the more you play and think through your strategy and tactical strengths your mech has, you will get better and the winning will become addictive.  Have fun and hope to see you on the map.

+1 for embrace the challenge.

The thing to keep en eye on though is just how frustrated you get. You will get tunnel vision on a revenge kill and they will bait you into circumstances where they have the advantage, while they stay cool as a cucumber and never miss.

Self critique when you die.

"Was I in the wrong place?" eg: away from team, away from cover, wrong effective range, etc

"Was I not watching my flanks?"

"Did I miss something on my Radar? or did I show myself on theirs?"

"Did I mistime my shots and waste damage potential?"

• CosmicCasey59 likes this

Gueber

Gueber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
 I play PC and loaded from Steam.  I was pushed straight into a match with no idea about what was going on.  I'd much prefer some kind of training ground so I can get used to the movements and weapons some.  At the least knowing it was just a match against computer bots would have helped.  Eventually I figured out what was going on, but that's not how I like to start a new FPS game.

It use to start with a slow tutorial that showed you the basic controls and such, they found that most new players never made it into their first real game so they changed it. They thought pushing them into a game against bots and just having them play right from the start would be a better experience. Interesting though it sounds like you would have preferred the old tutorial over blindly jumping into your first battle.

Making credits is horrible.  Either I'm not in the right game modes or there is just a tiny amount of credits handed out.  I was using the play any option so maybe that's the problem.  I hope there are game modes that do reward some credits because there's not much point in playing the game when you get 100 credits per match and the mechs and weapons cost 4k+.  That's a LOT of matches.  Like more matches than I'll ever play because it's just not worth the grind.

The cost balance of things was destroyed when they changed things around. The problem isn't very visible to devs who can just add all the mechs to their account for free or old players who already had most of the mechs and items unlocked before things changed so it has gone widely unaddressed for awhile now. Not to mention most of us had thousands of credits with nothing to spend it on so we easily bought anything new that they added. But to any new players starting a new account it's readily apparent that everything cost to much or the credit payout per match is way to low, they can't even afford to loadout the few mechs that are given for free because they come with basically nothing except for the starting mech. So you either play the starting mech or a half naked vanguard/scout.

Not fun at all for new players experience, especially compared to the old Hawken. Which in comparison use to have 3-4 fully loaded out mechs on "test drive" that could be used for free by anyone. So a new player was always given a free selection of mechs (with fully competitive loadouts) to try and was never limited to just the 1 that they start with like they are now. Sure they give you some "free mechs" now but they are useless as naked garbage because they don't come with the credits to equip them. I will take one of any fully loaded mech over 5 "free" naked bruisers any day.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2017 Is Going To Be A Great Year For HAWKEN!

qeR5kU2.gifNBzGwOK.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LordJim47

LordJim47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

6ixxer,

Great response.  I do most of what you suggested, and will try harder to do all of it while I wait to respawn to see if I can improve my chances in the next round.  Love the tactical and strategic part of this game.  I find the only way to get better is play the really good players, which seems to be easy to find with the improvements the Devs have pushed in the latest update.  Every match I've played in the last two days has been a full house with some mechs scoring 500-700 points.  On the positive side, my score has increase significantly--once I calm down and can think through each engagement.  I'm still flying mostly lights and fall back to my G2 Assault just to make myself feel better.  I like the lights because they force me to hit what I'm shooting at or die quickly--not a lot of reserve when going up against a Med or Heavy Mech.  Also forces me to shoot, shoot, dodge, run, shoot.  Thanks again for the great mentoring.  Appreciate your love for the game, Jim

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
After you hear yourself say "I was in the wrong place" a few hundred times, then you start to think about placement before and during fights, and then you might start to tell yourself more about radar and timing, etc.

what mech I drive changes from map to map and based on how the match is going. I would probably improve more if I stuck with one : /

LordJim47

LordJim47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

6ixxer,

Started to see some progress today--better scoring and less dying.  Kept the fight in front of me at a distance with a planned retreat.  I would only rush in when I saw the mech health was low.  Regarding mech choice, I have not developed enough data to know which mech to which map works best.  I have all the mechs (could not help myself--just too much fun), so I'm still learning how to use the med and heavies in the training ground.  When I play real players I like to be able to run when I need too, which is why I like the scout, reaper and the berserker.  Seems like the heavies get boxed in too easily and then ganged up on--I never last long when flying a heavy, but I love to deploy the big guns with turrets. 

Again, appreciate your sage advice, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users