- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Giving everyone a code for a free assault is fine, but for players to really feel the variety of the game, they need to play against a large variety of mechs from the start. Right not it's limited to the free trials. I thought warframe's method of allowing players to chose an additional starting tenno was great, and it would work great for this game.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I'm thinking this second mech would be something gained at a certain level. Low enough to achieve but high enough to get a frame of reference compared to the Assault.

Flight1ess

Flight1ess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

mmmm good idea

but maybe restrict it to the easy-to-learn mechs

Life is like a good book,

It makes more sense as you get into it ;D

tumblr_m91v02mYjw1qhnj8eo4_r2_500.gif

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I had a similar idea, posted it for the Assault suggestions (the important part is at the bottom (it's called "!Important!" ...):

A letter to capnjosh

So you've asked us, what the new beginner Assault should look like. Well, I want to suggest something different which makes it easy for new players to adapt to the game.

When I started playing Hawken (oh, storytelling incoming) at 12.12.2102, I-just-hated the Fred. It was okey. But that's the problem. It suits every situation well, not pretty good, but well. You have decent DPS wit ha little bit of burst potential. Additionally it looks ugly (but funny in a way). 

So what did I do? Purchased Meteor Credits and bought myself a brand new Infiltrator. I fell in love with this thing instantly, I mean, CLOAK!

However, it suited my playstyle (sneaky peek-a-boo, hit n' run, etc.). This was my first mech lvled up to lv 25 (Yes back in the days you had mech levels to 25 and much more awesome stuff).

So the problem, in my opinion, is that new players don't play Hawken as their first shooter, therefor they already have their own playstyle (rambo, bruiser, sneaky, sniper, whatever). So please think about this, capnjosh:

You don't have one, but three B-class mechs at the beginning of your journey. B-Classes because we should first show newbeis the role of the classes rather than the additional difference between A, B and C. These three mechs should be:

1. The Fred or Assault. 

The Fred/Assault comes with an Assault rifle and a SMC already unlocked. Including a Shield MK-II for defensive use (in the very common case of danger) and a Scanner MK-II to teach newbies the importance of the radar.

Internals should be Deflectors (Newbies usually run away in danger, the deflectors decrease the recieved damage by 20% while boosting or dodging), together with an Evasive Device (increases runnign speed when you are low of health, does not apply for boosting) and a (I hate this internal because unrealism) Fuel converter (newbies recieve usually much damage and nothing is important in Hawken as fuel).

The mostly defensive build of the Fred will drastically increase the TTK. The Scanner should, as mentioned, get newbeis used to the radar system and teach them to use it more often.

2. The Sharpshooter

The Sharpshooter is the classic sniper in Hawken. It has some extra damage output with its ability and should also have some health pool (that's why I choose B-classes) to survive surprising attacks.

It comes with the automatic SA-hawkings as well as the Slug Rifle for professional sniper players. Items should be the Hologram MK-II as well as a Blockade MK-II (so we don't have a shield again). The Hologram is the standart item on the sniper and can confuse enemies at a far distance. The Blockade should help against other snipers to protect and to make a quick escape if necessary.

Internals should be Advanced Reconstructor for autoheals when out of combat (which may be common in a new sniper), an Armor Fusor (after killign a mech heals the mech for a certain percentage) and a shock coil (I just prefare it to have this on snipers, adds some sneaky movements without hurting yourself).

This loadout should suit a passive sniper playstyle which has advantages in killing AND beeing passive. The Hologram is good for confusion and the Blockade even better for defensive situations. However, it does not influence the TTK at all.

3. The Raider

Now this is the Burst-Mech of the three. The Raider comes with a T32 Bolt and an EOC Repeater for some extra burst (we avoid the Reflak as it is a sustained weapon). With its ability you can shoot while boosting while having an icnredible movement buff!

Now, the Raider should be an agressive mech for shooter veterans as well as for newbies who don't like sustained and sniper mechs/playstyles.

I would give him a Detonator MK-II for some extra burst and an EMP MK-II against many enemies standing close together.

Ofcourse We give the Raidar Deflectors as he is boosting pretty much as well as a Failsafe (reduces self damage) due to the large explosion damage he deals. The last internal is a Fuel Converter because we want to get the maximum out of that ability!

This loadout is, as already said, agressive and may not be good for real beginners of the shooter genre, however, for people who are familiar with this (and there are quite a few), this mech offers some extra abilities to fast become a good Hawken pilot!

!Important!

Every of these three mechs are treated like test drives which means they can't be customized (except for weapons) in any way, they will not gain experience for these mechs but they have a choice. A choice which one of these mechs they want to start playing Hawken with. They can choose one mech for free and this mech will already be at the level where the 2nd weapon is unlocked, so their previous matches are mroe or less taken into account.

That's it for now, sorry for grammar and spelling mistakes :]

Edited by FakeName, 05 April 2015 - 01:31 PM.

• (KDR) Seron16 likes this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Silent_

Silent_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Certainly good idea as long as mechs like predator are not counted in. And like panz said, it could be at level 10 for example, so that pilots might have little better idea what to pick.

Loglino

Loglino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

You can start with the assault, but then at level 3, you get to choose a new mech free. Choose from the brawler or reaper, because they are low HC mechs, then at level 7 or so, you can choose from the vanguard, raider, or berserker, and at 7, you also gain the ability to buy any mech with HC (you already could with MC). It is sort of a system for giving you a bit less of a grind or need to buy MC, and introduding you to new playstyles while giving you some basics.

Mind the fact that pizza is my avatar.
Pizza is cool and you know it.

<3 HAWKEN

VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

tenno

why hello, fellow tenno.

I would like new players to get access to new mechs, I would give them 5k HC to start so they can buy any of the t1 mechs.

Scow2

Scow2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I had a similar idea, posted it for the Assault suggestions (the important part is at the bottom (it's called "!Important!" ...):

... I do not like the "These should be perma test-drive mechs'

No. Let players actually own and customize their starting mechs, because Test Drive is good enough for giving access to new mechs and playstyles.

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

No. Let players actually own and customize their starting mechs, because Test Drive is good enough for giving access to new mechs and playstyles.

Pretty much this. Test drive exists so that new players can try different styles out before they buy them. They can even transfer exp from the test drive mech once they buy that model. There is no reason to pass out more free mechs.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

You can customize it. You just have to select one. Upon selecting one, the other starting mechs are gone. So you can test every mech before you choose your "path" but can not progress with any. As soon as you choose one, you can but the other two mechs will be deleted.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Scow2

Scow2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

You can customize it. You just have to select one. Upon selecting one, the other starting mechs are gone. So you can test every mech before you choose your "path" but can not progress with any. As soon as you choose one, you can but the other two mechs will be deleted.

Ah... that makes sense, and it's something I could see a lot of new players enjoying.

Actually, he just wants to play as his Predator, which he fell in love with the first day playing given the test drive. He hates the assault, and ditched it for a Technician as soon as he earned the HC to get away from the starting mech.

Crminimal

Crminimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

I like the idea of getting to choose a free mech at set Pilot level.
But have it involve the test drive mechs instead of some preset spoonfeed scenario.
Let the player hold on to that free mech pass and use it on a test drive mech they especially like.
One freebie pass early on, pre rank 10, and one later on maybe on 20 or 30.

A cool thing would to tie the xp earned for driving test mechs free to transfer so new players don't feel like they are loosing out by playing the test drive mechs.

AxionOperandi

AxionOperandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I think giving the player a choice of a A class, B class and C class would be the best way to start a player out that suites their play style. I think Warframe kinda breaks it down in similar way and it makes a great deal of sense to me.

It should be a mech that is easy to use; I would suggest the Beserker, Assault, and Rocketeer.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Maybe a rental mech system? A customizable rental with everything with reduced price but after a sertain period it goes away? XD things should be cheap here XD

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users