• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

What new computer did LadyTiggs put together for playing games?  Josh made me post this. 

• LadyTiggs likes this

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
I suspect it's a test rig or series of them to test optimization and compatibility.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Asus X99 Rampage V Extreme motherboard

Intel Core i7-5960X (overclocked to an undisclosed clockspeed)

32 GB of DDR4 RAM (Corsair Vengeance)

Titan X (3x) in 3-way SLI 

Corsair AX1500i 1500W power supply

BluRay drive

Samsung 850 series SSD (2x)

A large amount of regular HDD space (more than 2TB)

4K monitors (3x)

Some Phanteks full ATX case

A rig that easily costs $8k+ when all put together.

• OdinTheWise likes this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

What new computer did LadyTiggs put together for playing games?  Josh made me post this. 

You just opened Pandora's box.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Why on earth would anyone spend 8k on a pc that's going to last them 5-7 years when they could spend 800 and only upgrade various items across the same time span for not even a quarter of that and still be up to date at the end of that 5-7 years? How many more FPS do you actually think 3 of the most expensive cards on the market sre going to get you over 2 r9 290x?

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

I desperately need an upgrade. I've been running an ATI 5770 for around 5 years now (its age shows) and it is finally starting to croak.  I might post a video of me blowing up my current PC if I upgrade soon :thumbsup:

CRT master race... No questions allowed.

Period.

LadyTiggs

LadyTiggs

Super Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Why on earth would anyone spend 8k on a pc that's going to last them 5-7 years when they could spend 800 and only upgrade various items across the same time span for not even a quarter of that and still be up to date at the end of that 5-7 years? How many more FPS do you actually think 3 of the most expensive cards on the market sre going to get you over 2 r9 290x?

We all have our hobbies, this is a personal system that I will use for many other things besides Hawken. I guess it depends on where your personal preference lays. Mine was getting a good solid system that I can upgrade through the years, since I didn't have a desktop (only gaming laptops). I guess it's like that midlife crisis that men go through and buy motorcycles and cars, I bought a good rig instead :)

• bacon_avenger, Vdragon, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and 5 others like this

~~Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup!!~~

Ninja_Goat

Ninja_Goat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

You should post a picture of that rig, it sounds ammmmeeeehhhzing,  apologies for the little goat noise, it sort of just happens :smile:

Seriously though what a beast of a machine.  :thumbsup:

• Pastorius and Vilyria like this

zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

We all have our hobbies, this is a personal system that I will use for many other things besides Hawken. I guess it depends on where your personal preference lays. Mine was getting a good solid system that I can upgrade through the years, since I didn't have a desktop (only gaming laptops). I guess it's like that midlife crisis that men go through and buy motorcycles and cars, I bought a good rig instead :)

If you got the X99 motherboard then you can get the new Intel 750 SSD, the fastest SSD on the market (for desktop).  It is almost 3 times as fast as the SSD that you have, if the specs that were giving was correct. 

Nice rig by the way.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

It won't just last 5-7 years. With something like that, Tiggs should be good for the next decade at least (in terms of computer power, GPU may vary but 3x Titan X should last a very long time. Heck, even my lowly GTX 550 Ti is still chugging strong after 4-5 years of age).  And not just for gaming, if she wants to stream at 4K, I'm pretty she can if she wants.  Plus pushing 3x 4K monitors and god-knows-what-size, plus the fact that AMD cards generally draw much more power than Nvidia cards.  (R9 290x will draw a little less than 300W while a Titan X, a far better card by comparison, only draws up to 250W).

If Tiggs ever wanted to start serious media editing, that computer won't even break a sweat.  Rendering? Cake.  3D modeling? Nothing serious.  This computer can literally run everything and anything Tiggs wants now and in the foreseeable future.  It can probably even power a toaster with that 1500W PSU installed too.

Tiggs does what Tiggs damn well pleases.  :tongue:

Edited by Silverfire, 07 April 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• LadyTiggs, bacon_avenger, Miscellaneous and 1 other like this

lNM7VnC.png

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Hey. I'm not knocking your rig. However, once mine is built, I challenge thee to Hawken!

P.S. I'll trade you my laptop for your rig. >.>

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

It won't just last 5-7 years. With something like that, Tiggs should be good for the next decade at least (in terms of computer power, GPU may vary but 3x Titan X should last a very long time. Heck, even my lowly GTX 550 Ti is still chugging strong after 4-5 years of age). And not just for gaming, if she wants to stream at 4K, I'm pretty she can if she wants. Plus pushing 3x 4K monitors and god-knows-what-size, plus the fact that AMD cards generally draw much more power than Nvidia cards. (R9 290x will draw a little less than 300W while a Titan X, a far better card by comparison, only draws up to 250W).

If Tiggs ever wanted to start serious media editing, that computer won't even break a sweat. Rendering? Cake. 3D modeling? Nothing serious. This computer can literally run everything and anything Tiggs wants now and in the foreseeable future. It can probably even power a toaster with that 1500W PSU installed too.

Tiggs does what Tiggs damn well pleases. :tongue:

I'm going to challenge you on 3d rendering. While cuda cores are great for rendering anything. Both AMD and Nvidia have offerings dedicated for it. You can buy a single firepro card that will render and display better in real time than any amount of anything else for 900 bucks. However. This thing can do anything it wants very well. Again. I'm not knocking it. I was just curious what the reasons were and that curiosity has been satiated.

Go Tiggs!

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

I'm going to challenge you on 3d rendering. While cuda cores are great for rendering anything. Both AMD and Nvidia have offerings dedicated for it. You can buy a single firepro card that will render and display better in real time than any amount of anything else for 900 bucks. However. This thing can do anything it wants very well. Again. I'm not knocking it. I was just curious what the reasons were and that curiosity has been satiated.

Go Tiggs!

Considering what Tiggs was buying was consumer grade despite its "enthusiast" label, I was comparing strictly to other consumer grade stuff.  Although I think the Titan X in 3 way SLI can give a Firepro a run for its money (due to sheer amount of vram). Professional grade is rated to run 24/7 at a 100% steady rate over consumer grade which is simply raw power (but much more variety in terms of performance, like one Titan X might not run at 100% the exact same speed and clockspeed as the next, might be a little off), which is where professional grade GPUs (FirePro & Quadro/Tesla) has its advantage.  It might not necessarily have as much horsepower to some consumer grade cards, but it has a much smaller margin of error in terms of hardware failure and also that the card will always run at the same exact speed every time between cards, because of the rigorous selection process for the PCBs.  Wasn't considering professional grade stuff though.   :tongue: Touche! 

Edited by Silverfire, 07 April 2015 - 05:02 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Almost the same build as my second computer not bad DDR4 helps a lot when working with Unreal engine 4

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

My rig costs 3k and I could easily spend WAY more if I had the money. Nothing is ever fast enough. It usually gets some kind of upgrade every 6-12 months. 

Edited by OmegaNull, 07 April 2015 - 06:15 PM.

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

dont you judge me on my race car fetish 

• LadyTiggs likes this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

LadyTiggs,

Are you going to post pictures of your new machine?  Someone told me to ask for Vanity shots.  But I am not sure what I would have received if I asked that.  :)  I heard that you were putting the parts together.  Do share the details.

Zorin1/NewKnockOut

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
Tiggs bought it from Cyberpower last I remember.

lNM7VnC.png

CCChaos

CCChaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Asus X99 Rampage V Extreme motherboard

Intel Core i7-5960X (overclocked to an undisclosed clockspeed)

32 GB of DDR4 RAM (Corsair Vengeance)

Titan X (3x) in 3-way SLI 

Corsair AX1500i 1500W power supply

BluRay drive

Samsung 850 series SSD (2x)

A large amount of regular HDD space (more than 2TB)

4K monitors (3x)

Some Phanteks full ATX case

O.M.G....Tiggs you NEED to give me details on this rig. Whats your temps on your cpu? Overclock? How much? You GOT A COOLER?

x3 Titan X's. Considering your running 3x 4k monitors, this. makes. ME. MOIST.

If you put any kind of liquid cooling into this thing, I'd be done. My body couldn't take it anymore. Throw me a box of towels, I'm going to need them all.

• LadyTiggs likes this

LadyTiggs

LadyTiggs

Super Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Here are some pictures, not the best quality :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is the full computer:

Spoiler

Last thing to get is a black light so you can see the cooling fluid better :)

• Grollourdo and Flight1ess like this

~~Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup!!~~

Flight1ess

Flight1ess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This.... this is... so beautiful... very wow much cp

you are amazing :D

Life is like a good book,

It makes more sense as you get into it ;D

tumblr_m91v02mYjw1qhnj8eo4_r2_500.gif

CCChaos

CCChaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

excessive-sweating.jpg

zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Will Hawken even run on this machine?  This machine is so much over powered for Hawken.  :)  Have you played any games yet with the 3 monitors?  What is your FPS like?  I like Asus for the motherboard and EVA for the graphic cards.  You got some really solid parts in this computer.  You even got a good power supply.  Wow.  Was this a custom build?  Most of the pre-made machine don't have a good power supply.

LadyTiggs

LadyTiggs

Super Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Will Hawken even run on this machine?  This machine is so much over powered for Hawken.  :)  Have you played any games yet with the 3 monitors?  What is your FPS like?  I like Asus for the motherboard and EVA for the graphic cards.  You got some really solid parts in this computer.  You even got a good power supply.  Wow.  Was this a custom build?  Most of the pre-made machine don't have a good power supply.

Hawken runs great (haven't tried on 3 monitors yet), I've been having to mess with many of the games to get them to work across the 3 monitors.  I'm dealing with the learning curve from switching from a laptop to desktop again. 

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

mmmm its no race car but its sexy none the less

t1vERra.gif

Edited by OdinTheWise, 10 April 2015 - 10:30 AM.

• ropefish likes this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I could really use that computer. Currently, it takes around 30 minutes to fully render a 1080p frame in Blender on the Cycles renderer. If I wanted to use it for animation, at the industry-standard FPS of 24, I would get 48 frames every day.

That's 2 seconds of animation. Every. Day.

And that is unreasonably slow. :(

(In hindsight the actual time is probably closer to 20 minutes. Still...)

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

I could really use that computer. Currently, it takes around 30 minutes to fully render a 1080p frame in Blender on the Cycles renderer. If I wanted to use it for animation, at the industry-standard FPS of 24, I would get 48 frames every day.

That's 2 seconds of animation. Every. Day.

And that is unreasonably slow. :(

(In hindsight the actual time is probably closer to 20 minutes. Still...)

Bah, just get a firepro card. It'll run Hawken and cut your renders back a lot. Also, they'll be clearer when viewing in real time. Expensive doe.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Well it sure beats my 486SX with 4mb of dram. A 20mb IBM hard drive and a 300baud modem. Sigh....................

pb486.jpg

• wolfrock and eth0 like this

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Well it sure beats my 486SX with 4mb of dram. A 20mb IBM hard drive and a 300baud modem. Sigh....................

pb486.jpg

Dude. You're not bad cause you're old. You're bad cause of that. Jkjk. You're not bad actually. Don't hurt me!

I wish I still had my Mac G3. Le sigh.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

ZombieBiscuit

ZombieBiscuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Tiggs. Wanna buy me 3 x 4k 144hz Monitors?

lhjhbB9.gif

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Hawken runs great (haven't tried on 3 monitors yet), I've been having to mess with many of the games to get them to work across the 3 monitors.  I'm dealing with the learning curve from switching from a laptop to desktop again. 

<rant> That is one of my biggest frustration at the moment (well... other than my audio issues). Having to Alt-Tab out of Hawken when full screen on Monitor 1 to interact with Team Speak or Chrome on Monitor 2. (Especially during downtime between matches.)

I know you have to "detach" the keyboard and mouse in some way but I am wondering if there is a better way similar to how VMware and Parallels do it. (Yes yes... different tech. Just using it to outline the User Experience.) </rant>

Oh.... and back On Topic, Sexy Sexy Sexy rig! Wonder if you could run three versions of Hawken simultaneously, one on each screen? All in their own SteamOS VMs (http://store.steampowered.com/steamos) Multi-boxing on one box!

Or use the three monitors for a "poor mans" oculus rift effect:

maxresdefault.jpg
fsc2.jpg

Edited by oSPANNERo, 11 April 2015 - 06:31 AM.

A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

http://hawken.mirror...primary-weapon/

Infyrno

Infyrno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

My pants are stained

43503.png

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Tiggs you ain't got nothing on me

Spoiler

I've got more colors in my computer than you've got LEDs.

lNM7VnC.png

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Digital Storm has some kickass builds as well - the Aventum II, for example.

Eurocom has some kickass mobile workstations/gaming laptops that beats a lot of desktop counterparts out there.

TpsOr7F.png

Lily_from_animove

Lily_from_animove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

how many fps do you get in APB with that?

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

how many fps do you get in APB with that?

Probably 48 because APB runs like constipation on anything.

48 is a joke, but seriously. It... Ugh... Why it no run good?

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Bah, just get a firepro card. It'll run Hawken and cut your renders back a lot. Also, they'll be clearer when viewing in real time. Expensive doe.

Blender (the program I use) currently only supports CPU rendering though, with the exception of a few select NVidia cards. Several other programs I use also only use the CPU (i.e. certain Adobe products).

I guess, then, that I should get a workstation CPU - that would probably be better.

Probably 48 because APB runs like constipation on anything.

48 is a joke, but seriously. It... Ugh... Why it no run good?

How much RAM do you have? I'm fairly certain that open-world games like these often have client-side lag issues/FPS drop due to low RAM. Reason being is, since a running program has all (or at least most) of the elements it is currently using loaded into RAM. For a game, the largest files are nearly always the textures (which is why a game like Unturned is so tiny - ~70MB). In an open world game like APB or Planetside 2, this means that you have A TON of textures loaded at once. As a result, your computer slows down, the program slows down, etc.

Now, I will be able to confirm this for sure once I get my extra 8GB of RAM. I am currently running an R9 280 3GB and an i5 4460 with 8GB RAM. With the exception of the RAM, I should have no issue running a game such as APB and PS2 on max graphics. I get around 50-60 FPS when I do, but with a TON of jittery FPS drops and client-side lag - which is what I'm hoping will change once I get more RAM.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Blender (the program I use) currently only supports CPU rendering though, with the exception of a few select NVidia cards. Several other programs I use also only use the CPU (i.e. certain Adobe products).

I guess, then, that I should get a workstation CPU - that would probably be better.
How much RAM do you have? I'm fairly certain that open-world games like these often have client-side lag issues/FPS drop due to low RAM. Reason being is, since a running program has all (or at least most) of the elements it is currently using loaded into RAM. For a game, the largest files are nearly always the textures (which is why a game like Unturned is so tiny - ~70MB). In an open world game like APB or Planetside 2, this means that you have A TON of textures loaded at once. As a result, your computer slows down, the program slows down, etc.

Now, I will be able to confirm this for sure once I get my extra 8GB of RAM. I am currently running an R9 280 3GB and an i5 4460 with 8GB RAM. With the exception of the RAM, I should have no issue running a game such as APB and PS2 on max graphics. I get around 50-60 FPS when I do, but with a TON of jittery FPS drops and client-side lag - which is what I'm hoping will change once I get more RAM.

8GB. APB runs well enough. I wouldn't have nearly 1k hours on it if it was that bad. I love APB for all of it's flaws. Before HAWKEN it was my go to shooter because it has a beautiful, cartoony asthetic, awesome gun play, and lot's of variety in how engagements happen. I've pushed it above 100fps, but it does varry wildly.

I've said this before. Intel is a pro-sumer/ professional chip. AMD is the enthusiast chip. For you, Intel would be the way to go. Although, and this is purely from a graphics and video rendering hobby side, most adobe products can be set to use GPU acceleration. Photoshop for instance. Where the fire pro cards shine without contest would be in open CL. I don't use blender, but I know a few awesome guys at a graphics firm that have access to really neat plugins that take advantage of that. I don't know if they developed them, but I'll ask. They're using mac pros except for the programmer. He's running a custom Hacintosh so he can develop on the PC side and test on the Mac.side.
  • BluetoothBoy likes this

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

8GB. APB runs well enough. I wouldn't have nearly 1k hours on it if it was that bad. I love APB for all of it's flaws. Before HAWKEN it was my go to shooter because it has a beautiful, cartoony asthetic, awesome gun play, and lot's of variety in how engagements happen. I've pushed it above 100fps, but it does varry wildly.

I've said this before. Intel is a pro-sumer/ professional chip. AMD is the enthusiast chip. For you, Intel would be the way to go. Although, and this is purely from a graphics and video rendering hobby side, most adobe products can be set to use GPU acceleration. Photoshop for instance. Where the fire pro cards shine without contest would be in open CL. I don't use blender, but I know a few awesome guys at a graphics firm that have access to really neat plugins that take advantage of that. I don't know if they developed them, but I'll ask. They're using mac pros except for the programmer. He's running a custom Hacintosh so he can develop on the PC side and test on the Mac.side.

Yeah, I've always known that AMD's Intel counterparts were usually better - it was always the price that got me.

Now that I think about it more though, I think the bigger issue for me (in terms of gaming, at least) is that I only have an HDD. For example, my brother and I both play a game that is resource heavy. On one server, with certain graphics settings, he was getting over 60FPS, whereas I, with the same settings, got less than 30. He has an R9 270 - I have a 280. He has a $40 Celeron - I have an i5. We both have 8GB of RAM. We're both on the same OS. So why does his run better? Well, the only advantage his computer has over mine is that he has an SSD, and I don't. That is probably the bigger issue than the RAM, to be honest. I just recently talked to someone who knows his stuff (he builds comps and writes applications), and he said a RAM increase for games should have very little effect.

TL;DR: I think my biggest issue is that I don't have an SSD.

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Ok, so I just went to 16GB, and despite what an actual software developer told me, drastically improved my computer's performance in Planetside 2 (to a point where I can now run Ultra AND record very HQ 1080p footage).

The more you know...

EDIT: Oh, and my 240GB SSD and Intel Xeon E5-1241 v3 should be getting here Wednesday. This Xeon (which is just the same thing as the 1246 v3, but without integrated graphics), for those interested, is comparable to a mid-range i7 - a step up from my 3.2GHz i5. It won't decrease gaming performance, and will handle those long renders far better (and a bit faster than my current setup).

Edited by BluetoothBoy, 25 May 2015 - 06:29 PM.

• LadyTiggs likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users