• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

spinningchurro

spinningchurro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

The siege rules are optional to display, and they give a rough descritption of the mode.  They're only available prematch.

What if there was a pop-up message that suggests what to do next in siege, in real time?  Like, say the enemy launches a ship.  A small but noticeable message could show up saying something like "The enemy has launched!  Get your team inside the AA as a group so the missiles shoot it down.  The missiles shoot faster if there's more teammates inside AA.  Don't try to shoot the ship yourself."

--- 

Screw it this is a stupid idea.  What we need is a playable siege and MA TUTORIAL that newbs should have to go through.  it seems much more intuitive and more likely to stick.  Tutorial modes seem like they'd solve a lot of the ingorance-sparked problems that plauge new players.

• 124eric456 likes this

Bad_BennyAK

Bad_BennyAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I believe,  under Game Settings,  there IS a box to tick, that allows game objectives to be displayed on the screen.  Take a look in your Game Settings menu.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

[/size]

...and let slip the dogs of war...

[/size]

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

[/size]

Spoiler
[/size]

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

This is needed, the frustration when you're team just refuses to go.

You have one team mate just glitching because the map is Front Line

You have one team mate watching the energy station, cause, just in case

You have one team mate sniping, on the wrong side of the map

You have one team mate insistent on running into the enemy base to try and destroy the turrets

You have one team mate who's doing alright

You have you who usually wrecks but thanks team

• Bad_BennyAK and 124eric456 like this

Jakyll

Jakyll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Isn't there already such a thing?

When the game starts I do have a message at the lower middle of my screen that tells me "Collect EU" and as soon as a battleship has launched the message switches to "Control AA"

... quite self-explanatory imho o.�

The fact that you better get going BEFORE the battleship takes off, you learn by playing a couple of matches or by other
(kind :wink: ) players telling you.

As a noob I feel more comfortable when defending AA with snipers and the like as compared to taking it ^^

Edited by Jakyll, 10 April 2015 - 07:59 AM.

KamikazeCommando

KamikazeCommando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Simple on-screen messages would be great, along with more verbal messages from the cockpit voice.

A good team only needs one sniper; when I'm playing seige and either team has 2-3, I don't know whether to laugh or cry sometimes.

And YES!, a training mode for all new players to learn Seige basics and Missile Assault basics is vital- just basic combat training is not good enough & is why we have this dire situation of no-one going AA when they should do in 90% of matches...

• 124eric456 likes this

( Insert witty signature here )

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

I think you could get some mileage out of simply removing the EU tree waypoints when a ship is in the air. Players who are already familiar with things like counter-launching and preemptive tree drain already know where the trees are anyway and don't need the help.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

(P:B)Augmentia

(P:B)Augmentia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Are they not already removed when the ship launches? huh. I need to check this. I thought they turned off after a ship was launched and then turned back on after all ships were destroyed.

• 124eric456 likes this
I am MM
brKc5dA.jpg

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

You have one team mate just glitching because the map is Front Line Last Eco

Edited by BaconOverLord, 10 April 2015 - 10:13 AM.

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Are they not already removed when the ship launches? huh. I need to check this. I thought they turned off after a ship was launched and then turned back on after all ships were destroyed.

They turn off the EU regen, but if there is EU still in the emitters, a mech can still collect what's left and drain it.

(Remembers when the EU regen rate was much lower, and it was possible to drain one to a trickle during the collection phase)

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

Bad_BennyAK

Bad_BennyAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I have a question or a thought.   You know how you slowly get a few XP for being in the control zone,  ( Im not sure what the timeframe is,  30 seconds,  a minute?)  Maybe make that a bit more, perhaps 5 XP,  Or Perhaps, Class - Specific zone bonuses.  Snipers and Reapers could get a few XP per minute, if thery were on an approved "Sniping Perch",  (High field of view, clear view of bunker, we all know these places),  anywhere EXCEPT cowering in the base shooting guns at battleships, for those measly 2 or 3 XP for shooting at battleships.  

Frontline Mechs get an additional XP bonus for being in the control zone,  maybe extra 2 XP per 30 seconds or min?  

HOW ABOUT GETTING RID OF ALL BATTLESHIP XP??    Remove any incentive to play like a fuzzy bunny!!!   

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

[/size]

...and let slip the dogs of war...

[/size]

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

[/size]

Spoiler
[/size]

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

You have one team mate just glitching because the map is Front Line Last Eco

The player glitching is so bad, they're pretty much where you can just float too, they don't even know the rest of the way

Jakyll

Jakyll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Settings -> Game/Controls -> enable "Show Siege Objectives"

there you go devs, make this a default setting =)

Edited by Jakyll, 13 April 2015 - 03:17 AM.

Hellzilla

Hellzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

A Siege training mode would indeed benefit Hawken.

For the people that don't notice the on-screen hints and the background audio hints, we can simply have a very loud voice over by Samuel Jackson:

Collect the fuzzy bunny EU!

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Control the fuzzy bunny AA!

What does the AA look like?

Does it look like a fuzzy bunny?

Really, a more direct "Siege for Dummies" voice over probably would be an easy, useful way to tutor new players. Set it on default for them.

Suddenly I want a Royale with Cheese.

• M4st0d0n likes this

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

You have one team mate sniping, on the wrong side of the map

you just haven't seen this done properly yet ;)

Brooklyn77

Brooklyn77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

The siege rules are optional to display, and they give a rough descritption of the mode.  They're only available prematch.

What if there was a pop-up message that suggests what to do next in siege, in real time?  Like, say the enemy launches a ship.  A small but noticeable message could show up saying something like "The enemy has launched!  Get your team inside the AA as a group so the missiles shoot it down.  The missiles shoot faster if there's more teammates inside AA.  Don't try to shoot the ship yourself."

I agree with this, as somone who plays ALOT of siege, this is good. Noone does tutorials because they wanna just jump right into the game.

-Dat aimbot tho-

Jakyll

Jakyll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Settings -> Game/Controls -> enable "Show Siege Objectives"

there you go devs, make this a default setting =)

re-post

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:00 PM.

Jakyll

Jakyll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I didn't start this topic, so It's not in my hands to change its name.

But i think I found a quite simple solution that already exists within the client and should require the editing of only one single line in the ini.file

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

KamikazeCommando

KamikazeCommando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

you just haven't seen this done properly yet ;)

Sniping from just outside your* own base is not doing it properly...

Likewise, sniping from where you can't even see the other team 90% of the time is no help either; good snipers knwo they need to venture over to the enemies 'half' of the map, that way they can actually see & hit the enemy from the side and from behind. A good sniper on Frontline is priceless and can easily swing the match by himself if the rest of his team grow a spine and actually stay inside the control radius, without having to try uber hard to actually hold the AA as the other team are too busy being picked off by the sniper...

( Insert witty signature here )

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

You're totally right. Tutorial is not the only problem. It's one of them, but there's more to fix. Matchmaker. EU resource. Risk/reward for AA control/assault, harrassing bases, shooting ships. XP incentives for passive actions. Old devs already fixed a lot of stuff but there's still a lot of work to do.

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
How about once you launch your ship if you don't start heading for the AA your health starts draining till your with in so many meters of the AA.

Jakyll

Jakyll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I did not want to start a new discussion about snipers or anything else :ermm:

I just wanted to repeat a very simple SOLUTION to this problem of new players not knowing what to do in siege mode.

Either you go to the "Game/Controls" setting page and switch on the "Show Siege Objectives" function by yourself, or the devs edit this very part of the code that is responsible for the HawkenGame.ini file which is then stored in the

C:\...\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config directory and change line 421 to:

bShowObjectiveList=True

Adapt the files needed and make this a default setting for new installations.

edit: in case anyone is asking what this function will do: read my first post in this thread

Edited by Jakyll, 20 April 2015 - 07:49 AM.

• KilleR_OrigiNs likes this

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Maybe a new non-intrusive game-tip for new players activated by default might help pretty well.

Although some few players simply ignore the game mode goals, i think most of the new players do not know when and what to do because they got distracted or whatever else you may come up with...

Just my 2 cents.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Anyone have a link to his stickied tutorial from ahd forums?

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Redacted.

• PepeKenobi likes this

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Proper way to play siege: don't.

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Proper way to play siege: don't.

I love playing quality Siege matches. Or even just decent ones.

Nothing is written about tastes though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users