Photo

Whats up with the huge ping on US servers?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Pumapaw

Pumapaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

You are aware I hope that East coast to West coast gives about 120 ping in your on line game.

nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

And? It has always been that way for people entering servers on the opposite side of the country. That's why you're supposed to pick the closest servers to your physical location, regardless of what region you're from. If you're in LA and choose a New York server, you should expect a higher ping.

120 is not a high ping. 

Edited by nokari, 10 April 2015 - 12:33 PM.

hwk_sig_by_nokari-d8mkch4.png

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Nokari,

c is 3.3 ns/m.  It's 3987km from NYC to Portland, OR, or about 13ms speed-of-light in a vacuum.  Even with transmission delays of 10ms on each end, and a lower propagation velocity in fiber, the network backbone (AWS gateway to EC2 server) should take less than 43ms.

Figure 20ms bull going on between any random ISP and AWS' gateway, West Coast should be about 65-70ms from NYC.

Instead it's about double. 

Tracert shows some VERY weird routing/delays inside AWS.  With a VPN exiting in Portland, I should have about 50ms to a Portland server, but it's near 100ms - it could suggest AWS is routing this back to Dallas (Frisco), then to Portland again.  I think I'd  like to ask Josh if he could ask someone on his team for that tracert and then ask AWS some questions.

Edited by Call_Me_Ishmael, 10 April 2015 - 03:39 PM.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

bluebaron201

bluebaron201

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I live in upstate New York. Although I am only a few hours away from the NYC server my ping is 44 instead of something like 15-20. Time Warner has some old cables from Road Runner days that just have not been replaced in years. Meanwhile, I get a ping of 60 to Dallas which is amazing. Just hope for google fiber to come to your city soon and that it will eventually force the cheap isp's to upgrade the internet backbone!

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I guess being in the Midwest helps a ton. I have 50ms ping usually, 70ms on a "bad" server. But yeah, 120 isn't too bad. Considering computer processing speeds, framerates, and our own reaction times, 120ms doesn't affect gameplay too much. It's when it hits the mid to upper 200's that you start having real issues. I guess some people find it to be more of an issue than others, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users