HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

using items - no sound or notification

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iamhoshi

iamhoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:37 AM

the main problem with items is that you have to look at your dashboard ( mech's ) to see what is going on. there is no sound, no notification after you press "use" button. there should be some kind of male/female voice, example: I'm in the middle of the fight, I'm not looking at my dashboard - I'm focusing on my target, overheating, other team members. let's say I have turret and I want to deploy it in the middle of that fight, so... one click on the button and... I have to see if it's in place or not. there should be some kind of notification ( sound ) like: "turret deployed"! and after some time ( 45s_ ) you should hear another notification: "turret ready". same thing with the "powers" (skills). after cool-down you should hear notification that it's ready to use. hawken is dynamic, fast FPS shooter and 80% of your attention should be focused on enemies - looking for them, shooting at them, spotting etc. instead, every few second you have to check your items, skills, energy, fuel, heat, radar. it's just too much. there must be some kind of A.I. on-board to help you out, to tell you what is going on with your mech!
few examples:
- energy down at 75%
- energy down at 50%
- energy down at 25%
- energy critical!
- EMP ready
- EMP lunched!
- turret deployed!
- turret ready
- heat coolant ready.
etc.
cheers,

Edited by iamhoshi, November 21 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#2 Gont

Gont

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:52 AM

I agree. At first when I've tried the game I was totally lost and didn't knew if the items are actually doing anything.

#3 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:57 AM

I actually think that the sound design has been greatly improved upon when in comparison with previous betas (all of which, including CBE3, featuring audio cues attached to equipment deployment).

#4 Alphalance

Alphalance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAppleloosa

Posted December 07 2012 - 07:38 PM

I agree that there needs to be sound notifications. I didn't even know i had placed my turret the first few times lol

Posted Image

We are the Brotherhood. We are a clan of Strength. We are a clan of Solidarity.

We are a clan of Steel. And our steel is as black as our blood.

Join us at http://blacksteelbrotherhood.enjin.com/home

#5 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 08 2012 - 05:56 AM

Well, you do hear the whirring of the turret as it unfolds, but I suppose a soundcue of like a "thump" for the placement or something would be nice.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#6 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 08 2012 - 06:41 AM

i agree with some of this. perticularly the "ability is ready" one.

But for items_ really_
unless you are EMP'd or out of said items using it will deploy it.
The only items you do not see when placing are the turrets and they have a tendency to get you stuck and they make a sound so they are fairly noticeable.
Every other item you launch during battle can be seen: HE, detonator, emp, shield, repair orb, scrambler, radar. All of those will come out the chest of your mech and are fairly visible.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#7 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 08 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'd say that DarkPulse and h0B0 nailed this one. It's kind of hard to miss the sound of a turret unfolding, which happens pretty quickly after it's first deployed, and as h0B0 said you can see pretty much all of your other combat items right in front of you, so I don't think any kind of notification is needed for those. Maybe a sound when the turret hits the ground like DarkPulse said, but I don't really feel like it's a critical thing at the moment.

As for the ability, that could be useful, but I'd like some sort of beep or tone rather than a voice alert, because having too many voice notifications spamming at all times can get annoying fast. ("Enemy sighted" is borderline as it is at times). But they do have a tone already for starting the ability up and when it expires, so it would be logical to have another tone for when it's recharged (unless there already is one and I just never really noticed it_)

As for the alerts on fuel level (assuming that was what was meant by "energy")...no. Can you imagine how irritating it would be to have alerts coming at you EVERY TIME you use your jets or boost_ It already pops up a HUD indicator when your fuel gets below a certain threshold, and glancing at the indicator every now and then takes all of a split second. I'd say fuel is fine as it is. No alert, please.

Edited by DM30, December 08 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#8 iamhoshi

iamhoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted December 08 2012 - 02:40 PM

that's why it's called "suggestions".

View Posth0B0, on December 08 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Every other item you launch during battle can be seen: HE, detonator, emp, shield, repair orb...
you are wrong! try to fire detonator and repair orb one after another in the middle of the fight, you wouldn't know which one left first. detonator has no sound you can recognize as special or typical as you might call it. same thing with repair orb, you have to look for it if you dropped it somewhere in the fight.
I'm drunk so maybe I'm gonna play some BF3.
cheers,

Edited by iamhoshi, December 08 2012 - 02:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users