HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Negative acceleration: alive and kicking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Karboxyd

Karboxyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:01 AM

Same old, same old...

#2 chefZaphod

chefZaphod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:08 AM

I wish developers(all games) would make the movements of my mouse exactly what appears on the screen. Why do they mess with my movement, so. ):

#3 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:10 AM

You've screamed about this every time a new forum opens for a new test.

WE KNOW already.

I for one hope they keep this negative acceleration. Makes me feel heavy. But mostly because I know how much it annoys you.

#4 Trolled

Trolled

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostInny, on November 21 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

I for one hope they keep this negative acceleration. Makes me feel heavy. But mostly because I know how much it annoys you.
So you'd rather keep the game broken just to bunny someone off_ Do us all a favor and stop posting.

+1 against negative accel
gotta go slow

#5 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:05 PM

You've screamed about this every time a new forum opens for a new test.

And it has to be this way, dude. Anything that makes anything bad should be pointed out massively till someone fix it, even if it's to get rid of the non stop complaint.
This NMA plus bad coding, which produces bad framerate and frame drops EVEN TO THOSE WHO GOT THE BEST RIG OF ALL (the difference being they have 40-60, which is playable, but they should have 90-100) turns this beautiful game into an almost unplayable stuff. Playability is the most important part of a game.
This said, -1 for NMA.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#6 Karboxyd

Karboxyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:34 PM

What the guys up there said.

But still...

WE KNOW already.
Excuse me, but are you a developer in disguise _
I'm wondering about that "WE", since I've yet to see any comment from the devs about it... or about just like anything useful (granted, I don't read every single post).

#7 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted November 28 2012 - 02:36 PM

Just wanted to bump this so that it stays on the radar. I've found the negative acceleration particularly frustrating over the past couple of days.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#8 145154151164145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yea, I found a way to remove it back in alpha but they since updated the ini files so that the cvar that made it go away is no longer used.  They should just make a capped turn speed. Would make more sense because as it is now, players using super high sensitivity can still turn faster than players using low sensitivity.  Now you have a balance issue.

Edited by 145154151164145, November 28 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#9 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hey i want to add something to this for everyone knowledge.

This isn't negative mouse acceleration your experiencing.

It's a side effect of the the mechs maximum turning rate.
I saw a Dev post about it in one of these threads...i might be able to find it if i look hard enough.

#10 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 28 2012 - 04:28 PM

This is obviously not a bug.

It is part of their game design.

Please use search function before spamming the forums.

http://community.pla...se-acceleration

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#11 Moderator03

Moderator03

Community Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:22 PM

This thread is being locked as it is a duplicate. Original Thread >>>HERE<<<

>>>CLOSED<<<

#12 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:33 PM

I know the thread is locked but I just wanted to throw this explanation in here in case people don't want to dig any deeper:

Hawken has a cap on turn speed, in other words you can't turn your character as fast as you can move your mouse.  The max turn speed is a lot lower than most FPS games. This is in an attempt to simulate being in the cockpit of a huge machine, rather than feeling like a human spinning around.

A lot of people mistake this for negative mouse acceleration.  In fact, when you flick your mouse to the side quickly you are indeed turning at the max speed cap, however you are only turning for a short moment because your mouse move was so fast (it ended quickly).  When you move the mouse slower you can still turn at that same max speed cap, but you will be able to continue turning much farther because you're moving the mouse for a longer period of time.  

You aren't being punished for moving your mouse faster, the mechs simply can't turn that fast and will stop turning when your mouse isn't moving.  We tested having the mech "remember" your mouse movement and attempt to "catch up" to that motion, but this made the controls feel laggy and unresponsive.  It was also a bit nauseating for a lot of people.  

Hope that clears up some confusion.  If you want to add to the discussion you can continue in the other thread posted above me.

P.S.-  I personally asked an engineer to check on this based off the feedback from older threads.  He looked into the code extensively and the info above is based off his testing.  We even added a turn speed indicator to the hud for the Open Beta build of the game.  You can see when you've hit the max speed cap now.  The speed cap is hit right away with quick mouse movements and then drops off instantly.  If you try moving your mouse very fast for a longer period of time (like dragging it quickly across the whole length of your desk) it's very difficult to not mix in up and down aim movement rather than just turning.  I think this gives the impression that you just can't turn as fast as moving the mouse slowly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users