HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Game balance

Beta Community Game Patch Project Preview Update

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 22 2012 - 09:47 AM

Idk about you, but I grew accustomed to Hawken's controls/layout within a day. Items and abilities take a bit more practice, but it's not that hard to learn if you put time into it.

Losing your first few matches is pretty much inevitable, since it takes a bit of time to learn the game's mechanics.

However, I have no sympathy for noobs who drop into a Siege or MA match and then ask "How do I play_" I'm sitting there facepalming at the fact that they didn't read the simple instructions in the tooltip that pops up when they join.

I also firmly believe it's better than a flat stat-boost system, because like I said, with that, now you're talking about giving more experienced players with higher-level mechs unfair advantages over lower-level ones [have you checked out the other thread I linked you to_]

At the same time, less skilled players with high-level mechs [who obtained them merely by playing] will still be less skilled. They'll still get beaten by more skilled players, in some cases, even lower-level players.

Skill can only be learned, not given. *shrugs*

Edited by Ace4225, November 22 2012 - 09:48 AM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#22 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted November 22 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 22 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Idk about you, but I grew accustomed to Hawken's controls/layout within a day. Items and abilities take a bit more practice, but it's not that hard to learn if you put time into it.

Losing your first few matches is pretty much inevitable, since it takes a bit of time to learn the game's mechanics.

However, I have no sympathy for noobs who drop into a Siege or MA match and then ask "How do I play_" I'm sitting there facepalming at the fact that they didn't read the simple instructions in the tooltip that pops up when they join.

I also firmly believe it's better than a flat stat-boost system, because like I said, with that, now you're talking about giving more experienced players with higher-level mechs unfair advantages over lower-level ones [have you checked out the other thread I linked you to_]

At the same time, less skilled players with high-level mechs [who obtained them merely by playing] will still be less skilled. They'll still get beaten by more skilled players, in some cases, even lower-level players.

Skill can only be learned, not given. *shrugs*
Yeah I guess... Bottom line is as long as it works properly at full release im happy.

Also I did check out the other page and there is a lot of interesting stuff on it.

#23 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:57 PM

the optimizations should be what they were in closed beta 2. i liked talking with my friends about what optimizations they used and telling them what i"m using but as of right now it doesnt matter you wont notice and it wont make a difference

and the internals should have no drawback i don't understand the reason for having a draw back on the internals
players buy/earn these upgrades yet they punish you for it

IMO if they are gonna copy leagues Masteries they need to copy how they are done as well
example: you don't see a league player grinding away to level up that hero to get there masteries no they grind away at there account to unlock it for all heroes

so IMO we should have a pilot level like leagues summoner level so once we hit max pilot level we can use all tech points on all the mechs

Edited by Rooslin, November 22 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#24 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:42 PM

except they're not trying to copy anyone.....

The reason for the internals having trade-offs is so that they don't give your mech a flat advantage over mechs without internals.

I've already said enough about the tech tree...

Edited by Ace4225, November 22 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#25 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 23 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostPhaaze, on November 21 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

1. Auto balance for starters if one team is wrecking the other then make sure players are even or more players on loosing team; this is needed badly....
Mid match autobalance is bad. It trivializes the effort people on the winning team put into being there. Their fun shouldn't be sacrificed because you had ragers on your team
Add a surrender vote instead, assuming the matches last long enough to even warrant one

2. To keep people from being butt hurt about loosing: remove win/loose ratio and all hawken credits from won/lost matches and increase credits earned from time played.
Why_ People are still going to rage about w/l, not to mention k/d
Plus, why would you not encourage helping your team over getting killstreaks and sitting AFK_ Anyone can get a high time played number, but it's quite difficult to get a high winrate

3. Increase usefulness of turret mode of heavys like increased defense and ability to turn.
Turret mode on anything other than maybe the rocketeer is arguably extremely flawed, and it's only really arguable on the rocketeer due to the range at which you can use it. I'd still rather have completely different abilities for C mechs

4. Make optomizations useful again besides a fully amped up defence mech with 3.5% more hp and 2% less damage taken....cmon.  To off set the imbalence of that make deaths give a little exp aswell so if you are getting killed repeadly it is not futile and encourage players to get in and not cower.
Vertical progression is pants and harms balance. Also encouraging deaths is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Why would you reward people for playing poorly_

5. give some exp for time played; this will help new players to lvl up quickly.
Couldn't I just AFK in servers then_ Why would you want that_

6. Add a boot system for anyone who is inactive for 3 min or set them as a spectator.
Already happens AFAIK

7. make a visible thing showing who is talking.
Yes

8. Lower the heat on SA hawkins (you fixed its fuzzy bunny dps but now it doesnt even last long enough to kill anything with out over heating)
I think the Hawkins needs a little more love than that. It's currently in the needless sea of samey hitscan automatics

10. Lower the power of emp a tad like shorten duration by 0.25 of a sec. As is it is a little OP.
.25 seconds will do just about nothing to the EMP
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Game, Patch, Project, Preview, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users