HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Question about Hawken Credits

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 mikelat

mikelat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVancouver Canada

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hawken of course feels fine to all of you because you're already on their forum and invested into their game. I'm invested into it to, my entire point is there are games out there that give new unlocks right during first match you start playing. When I say "things take too long to unlock" I am not speaking about myself, as if this is a game I'm invested in I will probably spend time and money into it. The issue is getting other people invested into it, and as it stands I think 12/12/12 is going to roll around, a lot of people are going to try it, feel as if they accomplished absolutely nothing, see a bunch of locked mechs that other people are playing taunting them, get frustrated and never come back. That first impression is everything, games often don't "recover" from that.

The reason people like that are important is because they dictate how many new maps, new weapons, or new mechs we get. If people are paying and playing, this game grows. If people are getting turned off by a crappy unlock system, they don't even get the chance to be a customer, let alone even if they weren't going to pay anyway they likely would have brought in somebody who would have. Yes, you guys like the game, that's great, but the population of this forum is not even close to what is going to be needed to make this game successful.

You can't compare this to Korean MMOs because clearly that is not their gamer demographic. They're probably looking more toward the North American twitch shooter and/or mech crowd for a game like this, and they're not going to catch on with those gamers at all at this rate.

Edited by mikelat, November 24 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#22 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 25 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostcubicDevourer, on November 24 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

500 HP per match is outrageous. I was thinking along the lines of 180, maybe 200, or having some mechs be less expensive than others, or implementing a daily first win bonus. I agree there should be some grind, yes, but not so much as to turn a player off to the game which, in it's current state, Hawken does. Like mike pointed out, for the casual player playing an hour a day every day, it would take them a month, give or take, to unlock a new mech.

If a game is good, I'll spend money on it. I've done so with League of Legends. I've done so with TF2. I've done so with Hawken. I'm sure many people will do the same, but not if they get the first impression that Hawken is going to make it's money by being a grind.
Well, that's about how much I tend to pull in per game... though I'll admit I'm one of the better players, and someone who is lower-skilled can have a tough time.

It's kind of hard to put yourself in someone's shoes like that...

View PostNukerock, on November 24 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

500 HP for a match using a booster seems like a good idea, thanks. 10 hours for someone who payed to be able to buy a mech doesn't seem outrageous.
No, that's less than ideal because then you won't buy the mechs - just the boosters, and a 14-day booster costs only 750 MP or so.

View Postmikelat, on November 24 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Hawken of course feels fine to all of you because you're already on their forum and invested into their game. I'm invested into it to, my entire point is there are games out there that give new unlocks right during first match you start playing. When I say "things take too long to unlock" I am not speaking about myself, as if this is a game I'm invested in I will probably spend time and money into it. The issue is getting other people invested into it, and as it stands I think 12/12/12 is going to roll around, a lot of people are going to try it, feel as if they accomplished absolutely nothing, see a bunch of locked mechs that other people are playing taunting them, get frustrated and never come back. That first impression is everything, games often don't "recover" from that.
Well, the new mechs do have to cost in some way. If the player wants it quickly and immediately, they'll pay with money to buy MP. If they want it, but not immediately, they'll likely be content with grinding it out (although a booster to HP and XP helps too). But they can't just get something for nothing, or the devs won't have much of a chance of making profit.

Test drives help alleviate this somewhat, but perhaps have an offline VR Testing Range or something, where the player can pick any class against bots. They obviously don't get HP or XP for this (or if they do, it should be at rates equivalent to the bot skill levels), but it lets them test any mech they want before they plunk down money on it. I know that with my MP, I bought at least one or two classes I'm not really fond of using, and since Open Beta will have me using my real money, I'm going to make sure I'm a lot more careful with which mechs I buy (I think I've got it down to four or so - of course, I'll actually bother to paint them and the like as well).

The reason people like that are important is because they dictate how many new maps, new weapons, or new mechs we get. If people are paying and playing, this game grows. If people are getting turned off by a crappy unlock system, they don't even get the chance to be a customer, let alone even if they weren't going to pay anyway they likely would have brought in somebody who would have. Yes, you guys like the game, that's great, but the population of this forum is not even close to what is going to be needed to make this game successful.
That much is true, and no doubt during Open Beta we'll have a lot more voices and a lot more feedback.

The devs, obviously, have to walk a line between it being a grind and it being too easy to max out. Some very dedicated players here already have L20s. I, myself, have a couple mechs in the Mid-Teens and a few others ranging from 4-8. Of course, those of us who are seasoned testers have already no doubt bought the boosters (because we can't just buy MP to get our way out of limited purchases yet).

You can't compare this to Korean MMOs because clearly that is not their gamer demographic. They're probably looking more toward the North American twitch shooter and/or mech crowd for a game like this, and they're not going to catch on with those gamers at all at this rate.
Sure, but again, how much easier can you make it before it's "too easy_" The rate already got boosted twice, actually (Fight Club > CB1, then CB1 > CB2), but if you make it so that the average player racks 200-300 HP per match, that means that someone with a booster will get 400-600, and if they're really good in terms of skill, they could potentially scrape that 700-800 range.

Balancing that system is never easy, but on the whole, it's probably better for it to be a little hard than a little easy, as if it's easy, people won't bother with the boosts for the most part, reducing a potential revenue stream.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#23 She

She

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJersey, CI

Posted November 25 2012 - 08:25 AM

OK just did a count and in this beta I have played a very low 1 hour 55 minutes, (Very little time to play atm) and within that period of time I amassed a little over 2600 HC, obviously this was with the HC boost. That's a pretty decent amount I think nonetheless. The problem lies elsewhere, imo...

The gain of points right now is fine but the pricing of the mechs/parts isn't. Someone was talking about the LoL model earlier. In LoL the equivalent of a mech is a champion. One key difference between the two is that LoL has different pricing for different champs - some cost 450 IP which takes maybe 4-5 wins to earn, some cost 6300 IP which takes 60-70 wins/games. However, in Hawken, at the moment, every mech suit is 9200 or so which takes... A lot of games. Haven't really analysed my  Perhaps lowering at least one or two mechs to 4100 would be nice, and perhaps one at 2050 - probably one of the most basic classes like rocketeer or assault. And yes by that I mean you should have to buy assault and in the mean time use the free mechs. (Of which there would need to be more - at least 2, hopefully as more mechs are introduced this would be possible) With a lowered cost of 2050 or 4100 this would not take very long considering the reward.

I'm pretty sure the devs have plans for the pricing and at the moment it's just beta so everything costs the same 'cause they can't be bothered to work out pricing when there are other more important things at hand, or something like that. Which is fair enough ofc.

#24 bac9

bac9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted November 25 2012 - 09:27 AM

I think different pricing will come later, after devs will amass significant amount of mech types and parts for that to work.

#25 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted November 25 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 24 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

I find it amusing that people in this thread are calling 20-25 hours of play "a grind."

Have you people never played a Korean MMO_

Are you referring to 20-25 hrs of play as in a day _.... a week _

*+
Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#26 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostDieselCat, on November 25 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

I find it amusing that people in this thread are calling 20-25 hours of play "a grind."

*+
I would presume 20-25 hours of play in a week or two. You could do it in a week with four hours a day; two weeks takes about two.

#27 mikelat

mikelat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVancouver Canada

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:25 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 26 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

View PostDieselCat, on November 25 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

*+
I would presume 20-25 hours of play in a week or two. You could do it in a week with four hours a day; two weeks takes about two.
4 hours a day of gametime is a lot to ask for. It's a week for basically the type of gamers that have the most time on their hands and that would play hawken exclusively. I personally see hawken as a more "occasional tournament-style mech shooter" where I play a couple of matches, get my fun, then sign off. So at most I'd play an hour, every few days.

Somebody suggested it before, but a good idea would actually to have a "first win of the day" mechanic where one win yields you like a 250HP bonus every 24 hours or something. I consider that a fair balance between the people who want to play all at once and the people who turn it on occasionally.

#28 Flakkjack

Flakkjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted November 26 2012 - 02:18 PM

A few questions: How much does a 2x boost cost and how many Meteor Credits do you get for your money, let's say how many credits does 20 bucks net you_

Edited by Flakkjack, November 26 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Posted Image

#29 cubicDevourer

cubicDevourer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSomewhere. Everything's somewhere, man

Posted November 26 2012 - 03:16 PM

A 1 day boost is 150 MP, a 3 day boost is 250 MP, a week long boost is 400, 2 weeks is 750, and a month is 1000.

As for the MP pricing model, nothing has been said as of yet. Prices will probably be released once the beta goes public.

#30 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 02:10 PM

View Postmikelat, on November 26 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

4 hours a day of gametime is a lot to ask for. It's a week for basically the type of gamers that have the most time on their hands and that would play hawken exclusively. I personally see hawken as a more "occasional tournament-style mech shooter" where I play a couple of matches, get my fun, then sign off. So at most I'd play an hour, every few days.

Somebody suggested it before, but a good idea would actually to have a "first win of the day" mechanic where one win yields you like a 250HP bonus every 24 hours or something. I consider that a fair balance between the people who want to play all at once and the people who turn it on occasionally.
Well, as I said, you either pay with time or with money. If you're only going to occasionally play, you're probably more justified simply buying the things. The buying mechanic is there to hasten how quickly you access it.

If, on the other hand, you're more of a regular player, it makes more sense to put the money on the boosts and just grind up the HP if it's things you want, but don't really "need."

Prices of MP per Dollar haven't been revealed yet. I'd assume 100 MP per US Dollar, though. They did say that other currencies will get more or less MP per unit when asked about it during Valkyrie Initiative stuff, but past that we have no idea how many MP will be bought per dollar.

All I know is that I'm supposed to have $75 worth of MP on December 12th. If that means 7500 MP, it'll certainly let me buy the mechs I want to play. More is always better, though. :D

Edited by DarkPulse, November 27 2012 - 02:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users