HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Telling your team mates they suck doesn't help

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 24 2012 - 09:58 AM

I recently joined a missle match and matchmaker dropped me onto the winning side. As soon as I saw that the score was so badly in favor of the team I was on I switched over to the underdogs. The match had five people total in it. I then began to run around and cap silos and generally harass the other team while the other two team members fought it out. I was not actively engaging in battle (but defended myself if attacked) and was just attempting to extend the game time to give the team a chance to make a comeback. With that few people the missle map is really unbalanced with out parity of team number.

We lost the match but wittled the base health down to a reasonable number before the match ended.

When it was over, in the lobby, our team point leader started ranting about how our team was totally lame. I take issue with this type of behavior especially when I was only trying to help his chances.

I generally do not cuss at people in a game but I am afraid I told this person to bite me and left the lobby.

Disrespecting your teammates only adds to the rage quit problems and will not garner you points or friends in this community.

#2 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:08 AM

This is why I play deathmatch.

I can't handle the stupidity of some people in team deathmatch,
Posted Image

#3 Raxaphan

Raxaphan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:18 AM

The 'pro' syndrome. They forget the fact that players might be new to the game, or that players have fps and ping problems.
Also they forget they were new to the game also and tried to figure out how the mech moves.
These players can ruin a community although they want a better one.
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#4 Thygon

Thygon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDarkside of the moon

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm usually good sports regardless the situation. However sometimes I'd like to smack some ppl with a trout ;) cause of constant whining.

I can deal with some comments if we are losing side, but enough is enough. We all should be having a blast here, good times. This is not some "I'll fuzzy bunny die if I don't win" game.

May the machine spirit guide us on the fields of battle, and remember to behave. B)

#5 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:35 AM

I tend to tell people why they are sucking, be it my own team or the other team. While the game is still going on. If someone on the other side decides to stand still and shoot me, a Brawler at close range with one of the flimsier classes, I tend to warn them about how they shouldn't play close ranged attrition games with the giant red bugger with yellow stripes.

Its better to tell people about things while the game is in progress. Now whether people want to take my earthly wisdom is another matter, but people do tend to put one and one together. Eventually.

#6 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:55 AM

I've been in games where people explicitly ask players to leave. I think that's a tad bit too harsh, and not constructive at all. Unfortunately I had no idea who was talking because the VOICE COMMS DON'T HAVE AN INDICATOR YET.

Please implement this ASAP so I can learn who to mute immediately.

Edited by Conquistador, November 24 2012 - 10:56 AM.

Posted Image

#7 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:13 AM

This is one of the draw backs to online gaming; you're going to have to deal with someone like this at some point.

The best thing to do honestly is just ignore them and people also need to realize that this is just Closed Beta 3 so our stats and everything will be wiped once this ends. Also if you're so worried about your stats and how much exp you're pulling then get some friends together and play with them. When you toss your hat in the ring of playing with random people you're going to see players of all different skill levels.

If we want this game to succeed one of the biggest things that will help it is having a great online community. Nothing turns me off of a game quicker than a terrible community and I will happily play something else to not deal with it. There's a big reason why I don't get on Halo and such anymore because I got tired of this kind of behavior.

The only time I've called people out in a match are when people are signed in and spawn onto the map but then they just go AFK. The only thing I ask is to not spawn back in leaving a sitting duck on the field (I typically play team based modes) and if you're not going to play that round sign off the server entirely so it doesn't look the teams are more even than they are. Just this morning I got into a match where it was 3v2 with me on the two man team however the other guy wasn't playing so it was little old me taking on three other players and it didn't go well lol.

Even when I say something about that stuff I'm polite and just let them know they are throwing off the numbers which can become a pain like in the above situation. I know stuff comes up and it has happened to me where I've had to walk away from my PC for a little bit but I typically try to leave myself in the garage so my mech isn't on the field just waiting to give the enemy team a free kill.

Posted Image

#8 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:13 AM

omg people are mean on the internet!_ if this fuzzy bunny gets under your skin i feel sorry for ya. implement a mute button. problem solved

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#9 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 24 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

omg people are mean on the internet!_ if this fuzzy bunny gets under your skin i feel sorry for ya. implement a mute button. problem solved

Excellent job sir on completely missing the point of this thread.

Posted Image

#10 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostKejiGoto, on November 24 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

this thread is pointless. anyone who reads the forums isnt going to behave like that so its a bunch of people talking about an issue who all share the same opinion.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#11 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:35 AM

Preaching to the choir. I get your point, but sometimes venting a little lessons the frustration level.

#12 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostRipperT, on November 24 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

venting a little lessons the frustration level.
Yeah, I'm guilty of doing that. I need to start engaging in positive reinforcement when we all start getting murdered.

#13 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 24 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

this thread is pointless. anyone who reads the forums isnt going to behave like that so its a bunch of people talking about an issue who all share the same opinion.

You'd be surprised, I've seen a few people mouth off on the forums to others. If you feel like this thread is pointless then why post in it_

Plus what is wrong with people discussing the idea of making the community in Hawken better_ I'd like to think that the more this topic is discussed people will get behind the idea and hopefully get on those who start acting like jerks to knock it the hell off.

But of course you've got all the answers and already know this is going to accomplish nothing so I suppose I should thank you for taking the time to enlighten the rest of us that we're wasting our time and effort here.

Posted Image

#14 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:33 PM

Welcome to the internet n00b!@!@!@!@!

Posted Image

#15 pupp3t

pupp3t

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostRaxaphan, on November 24 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

The 'pro' syndrome.
- this is not pro syndrome this is low or mid iq people ego syndrome :P (pro/competitive people not have ego or feelings when play only situation awareness,120% concentration and 150% reflexes )

#16 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 24 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

This thread is aimed at letting people realize a problem and trying to encourage people to not be douchebags when dealing with bad teams.  We don't expect this one single thread to solve all the internets problems but speaking out and making people aware is a heck of a lot better than doing nothing with your arms folded repeating the words "pft, it's not my problem."  If you aren't going to post something constructive to the topic at hand then don't post at all please.
Posted Image

#17 Thygon

Thygon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:01 PM

A skilled commander seeks victory from the situation and does not demand it of his subordinates.

Acting like a fuzzy bunny is just a sign of weakness of some degree. In spirit or mind.

And thank you Deu for that enlightening phrase. :D

#18 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostThygon, on November 24 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

A skilled commander seeks victory from the situation and does not demand it of his subordinates.

Acting like a fuzzy bunny is just a sign of weakness of some degree. In spirit or mind.

Well and true, but this is a team-based game. If the enemy is holding AA, their battle ship 1/3 of the way to our base, and I catch you hanging back and not making every effort you can to secure the AA platform...you're going to get blasted.

Effort is obviously the key phrase here. If we can't cap, but everyone is giving it their all, then I cannot and will not be disappointed with my team.

This is also due in part to siege mode being much more difficult than the other game modes. The instructions need to be more clearly displayed, and it needs to be clear that siege is not the usual gaming experience. Basically, don't come if you're not prepared to be competitive. If you want to play "casually" or "just have fun", deathmatch might be for you.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#19 Thygon

Thygon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:26 PM

View Postmarshalade, on November 24 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostThygon, on November 24 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Well and true, but this is a team-based game. If the enemy is holding AA, their battle ship 1/3 of the way to our base, and I catch you hanging back and not making every effort you can to secure the AA platform...you're going to get blasted.

Effort is obviously the key phrase here. If we can't cap, but everyone is giving it their all, then I cannot and will not be disappointed with my team.

This is also due in part to siege mode being much more difficult than the other game modes. The instructions need to be more clearly displayed, and it needs to be clear that siege is not the usual gaming experience. Basically, don't come if you're not prepared to be competitive. If you want to play "casually" or "just have fun", deathmatch might be for you.

Ofcourse it's totally different when playing goal based modes. But it does not require that one has to start giving a fuzzy bunny load of bunnies to noobs.

I like to use something encouraging words, like "Kill em all!" or so. And maybe give some friendly advice to someone who's hanging back.

#20 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostThygon, on November 24 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

I like to use something encouraging words, like "Kill em all!" or so. And maybe give some friendly advice to someone who's hanging back.

I usually just shoot TOW rockets at their back until they start moving. They generally get the hint after one or two.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users