HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

a place for people to learn

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 3Jane

3Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 04:04 PM

Add the mode where I get 10 hopefuls  who battle it out and I get to choose one to train for a week.

#22 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'd just add, to that training map we had in previous testing builds, an extra segment f it in order to provide some aiming/firing practice to the new pilots who are giving this game a try for their first time.

Give 'em some few dynamically scripted fake targets a la CIA simulations (trucks, "posters", static mechas, etcetera) and that, plus some maneuvers based tutorial chunks would suffice before they get into the real battlefield.

.. or something. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#23 Meanman

Meanman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:24 PM

another though I had was that you only got xp for killing within 3 lvls. or if no other mechs are in your class.

#24 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image

*edit* for the most part people only call their own teammates noobs when they themselves suck and cannot carry their team. Something I don't understand since winning a match literally gets you nothing in this game.

Edited by ReachH, December 04 2012 - 08:52 AM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#25 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostReachH, on December 04 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

winning a match literally gets you nothing in this game.
Well that's just plain false.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#26 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 04 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Don't be stupid, I'm always right. Especially when I don't know what I'm talking about.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#27 link0

link0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:12 PM

I don't agree with the OP at all.  The best way to learn Hawken, just like any other game, or any competitive sport, is to play against/with people who are better than yourself.  Playing with other noobs is actually detrimental.

#28 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostReachH, on December 04 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 04 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Don't be stupid, I'm always right. Especially when I don't know what I'm talking about.
I want to say you're trying to mock me, but you make such little sense I can't actually be sure.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#29 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:15 AM

View Postlink0, on December 04 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I don't agree with the OP at all.  The best way to learn Hawken, just like any other game, or any competitive sport, is to play against/with people who are better than yourself.  Playing with other noobs is actually detrimental.

While i agree playing with people better than you is how you improve (because you have to push your skills to new levels), playing with people LIGHTYEARS ahead of you is not really a benefit. Sure you are seeing high level play, but it quickly results in a quick death and frustration for the low skill player. They don't really have time to learn anything in that situation.
Posted Image

#30 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostZeshi, on December 05 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

While i agree playing with people better than you is how you improve (because you have to push your skills to new levels), playing with people LIGHTYEARS ahead of you is not really a benefit. Sure you are seeing high level play, but it quickly results in a quick death and frustration for the low skill player. They don't really have time to learn anything in that situation.
Yes, when it comes to watching players much more skilled than you, I've found it's better to watch gameplay videos of them or live streams. I also get a better feel for the little nuances of what they do when I watch from their perspective.

AJK is right

#31 Rodar

Rodar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:18 AM

Iv'e only played a couple of rounds of this game. i'm new to it, my mech has no shiny bits, and it's been mostly blown to hell. my biggest issue has been learning the buttons. other than that, it's the usual fps with mechs. i've played the hell out of all the old mechwarrior games and did the cockpit simulator thing fasa had set up in san diego. (that was cool).  what control input do you guys usually use_ keyboard_ game pad_ stick if it'll use it_
Posted Image

#32 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 06 2012 - 09:52 AM

I've got a generic keyboard and a Razer Deathadder.

AJK is right

#33 AlienSpaceBats

AlienSpaceBats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 06 2012 - 04:52 PM

Here's what I'd like:

A PvE deathmatch mode where a team of players can level up a bit before they start getting slaughtered by all the level 10+ players out there. Dying and spawning 20 times in a battle isn't fun for anyone.

Player level segregation; levels 0-7 shouldn't have much problem with each-other  but throw a lvl 15 player into the mix and they just dominate.

#34 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostAlienSpaceBats, on December 06 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Here's what I'd like:

A PvE deathmatch mode where a team of players can level up a bit before they start getting slaughtered by all the level 10+ players out there. Dying and spawning 20 times in a battle isn't fun for anyone.

Player level segregation; levels 0-7 shouldn't have much problem with each-other  but throw a lvl 15 player into the mix and they just dominate.

Well I'm sure the intention is that matchmaking would prevent lvl15s from fighting such low level mechs. I know they were do a lot of testing on matchmaking this beta. We'll see once it's open beta and the server populations are higher too

#35 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostItsThatGuy, on December 06 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Well I'm sure the intention is that matchmaking would prevent lvl15s from fighting such low level mechs. I know they were do a lot of testing on matchmaking this beta. We'll see once it's open beta and the server populations are higher too
I expect we’ll see a paradigm shift in the meaning of terms like ‘mech level’ and ‘pilot level’ when it comes to OB MM.  This has to happen, for reasons expounded upon in the various ‘vertical vs horizontal progression’ threads, because the MM system can’t predict which of your mechs you plan to use.

#36 chaoticr3in

chaoticr3in

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 06:41 AM

To all the people talking about having matches with level limits you need to understand one thing. Your account doesn't level up, your mech levels up instead. How do you expect them to create those kinda of limitations to matches when you can switch between a level 20 mech and a level 0 mech in the mech selection for that map.

#37 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 07:32 AM

but sometimes super fun!

as someone who is super competitive when it comes to fps i always apply this philosophy. but when i play games like moba's i dont always mind getting paired up against noobs becuase i dont really care if i get any better at it. im certainly never goin pro so i just want to enjoy myself when i play.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users