HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

a place for people to learn

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Meanman

Meanman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:18 AM

here is a thought to consider, a new player learning the game will die a lot. and feel quite discouraged. the lvl 20 and lvl 0 in the same game although a great way to learn tends to make the new player die often. and fps that is online call of duty, halo, ect there are all ways player that are supremely better than new folks. I don't play COD or Halo for that reason. what fun is it to just die 8000 times. there should be new player arenas and lvl based grouping. im new to this and find it great fun. I also play mmorpg ddo online. if some of the better player from here came to my game and pvp'd against me on my toons there where lvl matter and gear matters you would allways die endlessly. which is my point. have some considerations for learning players. to simply call them noobs and kill them is not going to make the game fun or grow.

#2 Enryoki

Enryoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:35 AM

Probably I know the way, how to solve that.

Maybe it will be good to add Practice arena for 0lvl mechs. We can call it "Zero Arena". It will be like a non textured digital (maybe matrix-like) box or square with random objects, where players can try to play. Maybe that place will have some terms of use.. such as:

- There are no money/experience rewards for this mode.
- Only 0 lvl mechs can enter this mode.

Hmm.. or something like that. : )

#3 Grafix

Grafix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBehind Evolwar and SS396 stealing thier Kills

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:39 AM

This is a good idea.  Why don't you post this in the "Suggestion" forum.

FYSA (For Your Situational Awareness), Mechwarrior/Battletech genre has the "Solaris Arena" to do that type of training.
Grafix™  
Inner Sphere Wars Developer and BattleMech Hanger Developer - Hawken Beta Tester: C-BETA 1, C-BETA 2, C-BETA 3, Open BETA    
System Specs: Win7 64 Bit, AMD 6 Core 3.3ghz, 16Gig DDR3 RAM, Liquid Cooled, 2x Dual DVI Nividia GTX 560 2gig video cards for Quad Monitor usage during 3D Graphical projects.  Currently only use 1 monitor for Hawken.

#4 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:42 AM

You can actually launch a map by yourself and add bots into the mix if you're looking for a way to play around and get used to the mechanics. I definitely think that should be a training mode which will give new players a chance to check out the different mech types, play against bots, and not have to worry about dealing with a server or other players who might ruin the experience.

Also it would be a good idea to have all mech types open in this mode so we can test drive something before making a purchase and not have to wait for the option to show up in the store.

Posted Image

#5 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:47 AM

If the matchmaker ever stops sucking (because let's be honest, right now it's in a pretty sad state) then it would ideally take a player's experience/mech level into account when assigning them to a game, which would hopefully reduce the issue.

Even then, though, uneven matchups will still happen. Just the nature of this sort of online game, I suppose.

Edited by DM30, November 25 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#6 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:47 AM

I guess this will always be a topic of debate concerning players new to a game and having to go through what at times can be a steep learning crave.
This is still a beta, not a fully released game, which I have to also keep reminding myself as to not get to overly discouraged when not doing so well,  as I to am new to this also.

I think as this game progresses and the developers make what changes are needed to tweak Hawken,  people will see match-making more balanced making it a better game for all skill levels involved.

If they don't, then yes, newer players with little to no experience with this will  have a very difficult time when trying to develop a good game having to always go up against high skill  level players who have tons of time invested in Hawken as well as other mech type games.

I think one of the best things the developers can do is create a type of ranking system that will pit players of similar skill levels against one another in matches. That would then make a more level playing field for less experienced guys to learn and get better to be able to work their way up through the ranks to play at a higher skill level..

*+

Edited by DieselCat, November 25 2012 - 11:50 AM.

Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#7 Grafix

Grafix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBehind Evolwar and SS396 stealing thier Kills

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:48 AM

Oh yeah....forgot about that.  Below is the way to do it:

To activate the console launch the game and press the Tilda ~ key (you have to be in US keyboard layout) as it won't work on UK layouts. The tilda key is next to the number 1 key on US keyboards.

Typing this into the console will load up maps for death match:

open DM-Andromeda
open DM-Sahara
open DM-Alleys
open DM-Titan
open SG-Titan (seige mode)
open MA-Titan opens up a missile assault map

Adding bots is done afterwards by typing:

AddBots N (N being however many bots you want)
Grafix™  
Inner Sphere Wars Developer and BattleMech Hanger Developer - Hawken Beta Tester: C-BETA 1, C-BETA 2, C-BETA 3, Open BETA    
System Specs: Win7 64 Bit, AMD 6 Core 3.3ghz, 16Gig DDR3 RAM, Liquid Cooled, 2x Dual DVI Nividia GTX 560 2gig video cards for Quad Monitor usage during 3D Graphical projects.  Currently only use 1 monitor for Hawken.

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 25 2012 - 01:18 PM

Limiting the console to some few commands would be an interesting idea and much appreciated. An arena for new players to get some basic practice is a must. Can't imagine how nubs can feel the first time they get into an intense fight in Hawken. -non-lol icon here-

For example: Just put some jumpers launching trucks (or any other NPCs/props) up to the air so the new players can fire at 'em. The most important thing is to know how to maneuver the mech. And has been already said, experimenting with different chassis and customization based stuff.

Anyways, use the search function because I posted on this in the Suggestions CB3's branch already. Also in the CB2 forums, IIRC..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#9 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 02:46 PM

No amount of "learning" against bots will teach you to play properly. Want to learn and get better.. play with real people.

#10 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 03:24 PM

I agree an in-game tutorial mode would be great for new players. As a free-to-play game where players can come and go willy-nilly, retaining people is possibly the most important thing for a free to play game. My guess is they have some stuff in the works but it can't come to soon really.

#11 Enryoki

Enryoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted November 25 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostJuiceBox, on November 25 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Want to learn and get better.. play with real people.

Agree. And no more comments.

#12 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostGrafix, on November 25 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Oh yeah....forgot about that.  Below is the way to do it:

To activate the console launch the game and press the Tilda ~ key (you have to be in US keyboard layout) as it won't work on UK layouts. The tilda key is next to the number 1 key on US keyboards.

Typing this into the console will load up maps for death match:

open DM-Andromeda
open DM-Sahara
open DM-Alleys
open DM-Titan
open SG-Titan (seige mode)
open MA-Titan opens up a missile assault map

Adding bots is done afterwards by typing:

AddBots N (N being however many bots you want)

Doesn't work. Tried it and Hawken crashed :D lolz

Oh and its a Tilde key not Tilda

Edited by JuiceBox, November 25 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#13 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostEnryoki, on November 25 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Probably I know the way, how to solve that.

Maybe it will be good to add Practice arena for 0lvl mechs. We can call it "Zero Arena". It will be like a non textured digital (maybe matrix-like) box or square with random objects, where players can try to play. Maybe that place will have some terms of use.. such as:

- There are no money/experience rewards for this mode.
- Only 0 lvl mechs can enter this mode.

Hmm.. or something like that. : )

Problem is keeping these zero arenas populated. StarCraft allows players to play 50 unranked games on special maps before moving into the ladder. There is no ranked matchmaking in Hawken so it isn't exactly the same thing :/

Worth suggesting though, see what the devs make of it.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#14 fwip

fwip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFuture Pittsburgh

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:57 PM

I would definitely support some kind of practice arena - even if there aren't other humans or even bots in it. Just a chance to learn how to control the mech, learn the characteristics of the weapons, and so on. I know I spent my first 4-5 matches continually accidentally pressing the 180-flip button - some calm time to practice controlling the mech would have helped me out.
Posted Image

#15 Novaflare

Novaflare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTybee Island

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:31 AM

I've joined servers where there is one person just standing there, looking around, oblivious to the game.  If there was an actual linear training mode that asked you to move down a path, use your boosters up and down without taking fall damage, and dodge from square to square then maybe the game wouldn't be so foreign.  We're talking training for people that don't even know WSAD and where to put there hands.

In truth, mech gamers have been a smaller crowd than most.  Hawken is so promising console players and people that haven't been interested in mechs for a long time or ever may be coming to PC gaming for Hawken.  I think there are enough people out there that could use a step by step training mode, especially people that don't game often and really thought Hawken looked cool.  It might be nice to have some serious baby steps no matter the learning curve, just to get the buttons down
Posted Image

#16 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 28 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostNovaflare, on November 28 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

I've joined servers where there is one person just standing there, looking around, oblivious to the game.  If there was an actual linear training mode that asked you to move down a path, use your boosters up and down without taking fall damage, and dodge from square to square then maybe the game wouldn't be so foreign.  We're talking training for people that don't even know WSAD and where to put there hands.

In truth, mech gamers have been a smaller crowd than most.  Hawken is so promising console players and people that haven't been interested in mechs for a long time or ever may be coming to PC gaming for Hawken.  I think there are enough people out there that could use a step by step training mode, especially people that don't game often and really thought Hawken looked cool.  It might be nice to have some serious baby steps no matter the learning curve, just to get the buttons down

I see what you did there.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#17 Novaflare

Novaflare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTybee Island

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:15 PM

haha but I don't see what I did there at all.  Why can't I hold all these limes_
Posted Image

#18 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:23 PM

i think a server browser with servers that have level limits like max lvl 5, 10, 15, 20 would be better then practice arena.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#19 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 29 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

i think a server browser with servers that have level limits like max lvl 5, 10, 15, 20 would be better then practice arena.

I'd say that's a good idea in theory, but that won't stop good players from taking a low level mech into one of those servers and rolling over a bunch of new guys for easy XP. (Hopefully the majority of "good" players wouldn't actually do this, but there are always some.)

#20 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:25 PM

Not to give ideas out on this, but would not be so difficult to detect such related, at the worst of the cases, smurf activities in a short period of time. The question would be... eh_... or something... :ph34r:

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users