HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mech Customizability Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:13 PM

Whilst I'm reading all posts in here... just to say that I want my mostly solid pink color based skin for my mech/as! :D

Edited by The_Silencer, November 29 2012 - 06:25 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#22 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:22 PM

The problem with this idea is that it would require a great deal or redundant development time. Time is money and money is quality. There only 75 people building this entire game. To implement these changes you are taking away development time that would be spent on maps, mechs and matchmaking.

It's a hard sell but we have to choose what we really want from the game.
Posted Image

#23 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:27 PM

I think they do take note on all positive feedback we may be posting on here. One other thing is how they do prioritize coherent and promising suggestions.. that's definitely not my biz.. I have to agree. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#24 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostHugs, on November 29 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Personally, I love these threads. I learn so much from them! Your passion and insight is pretty incredible.

For many reasons, I often can't really offer my opinion on this or any additional information on customization, but I can assure you that we do read these threads. They are often the tinder that sparks fruitful explosions of internal discussion! Like a Starburst fruit chew in our brains.

There are many things that will gradually be coming online during Open Beta. Open Beta is still a beta! We're always listening to your feedback and will continue to need to hear it-- thank you!

Open Beta is still a beta!
    I hope it will not be repeated over and over to silence us or wash out.

There are many things that will gradually be coming online during Open Beta.
    Only that it was not a slip, such as CB3 sige mode or regenerate & two items slots.

• I also sincerely hope that restore the tactical elements of the game, as far as this game is becoming simpler and you need less to think when playing.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, November 29 2012 - 10:25 PM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#25 Kyrzon

Kyrzon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, WA

Posted November 29 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostSunshineSloth, on November 29 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

The problem with this idea is that it would require a great deal or redundant development time. Time is money and money is quality. There only 75 people building this entire game. To implement these changes you are taking away development time that would be spent on maps, mechs and matchmaking.

It's a hard sell but we have to choose what we really want from the game.

I understand completely where you're coming from and thank you for your input. As much as I would like to see this idea implimented in its entirety, my hope at this point is solely that the developers understand that us, the hawken pilots would love and even crave to see more customization options available for the game; at present, there are VERY few.

I'm not asking for this tomorrow, or overnight; I'm not even asking at all. What I am saying is that this suggestion is something that should be given though to when the future of the game is involved in discussion.

Coding issues and time constraints aside; would you like to see a greater deal of customization available_

#26 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 30 2012 - 06:41 AM

pre-alpha, from e3:

http://m.youtube.com...h_v=lWRj4VnMm-E

How I wish it was. I have no idea why they deviated from that design... :(

Edited by Frenotx, November 30 2012 - 09:09 AM.

Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#27 Flirx

Flirx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 07:11 AM

Yes I am one that wants to make my own mech too. I would love to chose what weapons it gets to have too. The rest of the mech building is fine, just need to add more options to the pallet. I just really want them to add the weapons just like the body parts. Hell let us even paint the weapons too. The would be so cool. ^_^
ЖFLIRXЖ

#28 Kyrzon

Kyrzon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, WA

Posted November 30 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostFrenotx, on November 30 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

pre-alpha, from e3:

http://m.youtube.com...h_v=lWRj4VnMm-E

How I wish it was. I have no idea why they deviated from that design... :(

It would be awesome to see something like this in the future.

#29 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 30 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostKyrzon, on November 30 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

It would be awesome to see something like this in the future.
I agree. Just make it cost more (on a total build price) than normal mechs (since you're buying individual parts), and as I said, maybe only allow it after you've gotten a mech or two to Level 20. This way, the player can't build their custom ass-kicker and never, ever use a different mech. :P

Edited by DarkPulse, November 30 2012 - 10:22 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#30 virella

virella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 12:02 PM

they could limit it to after you have one mech to lvl 20 and remove the ability to buy the chasis for MP, this would make it so that there was an inherent cap to the earliest you could get one of these fuller customization mechs, or just enable this kind of customization in the mech once you hit lvl 20 with it, have everything that you could swap cost lots of hp / mp, they already have the alternate weapon buyable at lvl 20, this would just unlock a little more customization than that, but definitly no dual wielding if this goes though.
Posted Image

#31 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 30 2012 - 12:45 PM

I don't see why having access to "full customization" should be limited until you've ground you way all the way to 20. Why should someone be forced to play -numerous- matches with a mech setup before they can build what they actually want to drive, and "have fun".

If implemented, customization / tweaking would be a pretty significant aspect of the game. Disallowing people access to the "full game" until after a pretty long grind seems like a bad idea. This is basically what MWO did with it's trial mech system, and it really killed a lot of the remaining fun of it.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#32 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostFrenotx, on November 30 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

I don't see why having access to "full customization" should be limited until you've ground you way all the way to 20. Why should someone be forced to play -numerous- matches with a mech setup before they can build what they actually want to drive, and "have fun".

If implemented, customization / tweaking would be a pretty significant aspect of the game. Disallowing people access to the "full game" until after a pretty long grind seems like a bad idea. This is basically what MWO did with it's trial mech system, and it really killed a lot of the remaining fun of it.
Simple: If you could just straight-up customize one mech, you aren't going to bother getting the base classes... and more importantly, more mechs gives you more choices in a battle.

The only way it could work for full customization at any time is if you actually buy amounts of weapons/items/parts/etc. You want two mechs with MG Turrets_ You're gonna buy two MG Turrets then.

#33 Kyrzon

Kyrzon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, WA

Posted December 01 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 01 2012 - 03:29 AM, said:

Simple: If you could just straight-up customize one mech, you aren't going to bother getting the base classes... and more importantly, more mechs gives you more choices in a battle.

The only way it could work for full customization at any time is if you actually buy amounts of weapons/items/parts/etc. You want two mechs with MG Turrets_ You're gonna buy two MG Turrets then.

If it stays the way it is at the moment, everyone will have Assault unlocked at the start of Open Beta. I've logged a LOT of hours this beta period and I STILL don't even have 32000 Hawken Points and I've managed to level a Scout and Infil to 20 and I've got various mechs up to 10 as well.That's a LONG time to play on just one mech before you get the ability to customize, assuming the first thing someone does is outright customize a mech to their choosing.

#34 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted December 01 2012 - 11:23 AM

The whole "More options in battle" is why people would buy more than one chassis.

That's the idea, just like it is now.

#35 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted December 01 2012 - 03:32 PM

would be awesome to choose which weapons to equip.

edith: like being able to equip the weapons mech-tier (only a-class weapons for a class & so on) wise, but still choosing your fav mech for its ability.

Edited by D3thpool, December 01 2012 - 03:33 PM.

"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#36 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostKyrzon, on December 01 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

If it stays the way it is at the moment, everyone will have Assault unlocked at the start of Open Beta. I've logged a LOT of hours this beta period and I STILL don't even have 32000 Hawken Points and I've managed to level a Scout and Infil to 20 and I've got various mechs up to 10 as well.That's a LONG time to play on just one mech before you get the ability to customize, assuming the first thing someone does is outright customize a mech to their choosing.
>Says it's a long time to play
>Has two mechs at L20, more at L10

Can you not defeat your own points_ Part of the reason I think there should be some level of mastery is so that players get an idea of what they are good with versus what they are not so good with. This allows them to build a better custom mech as it's more tailored to their playstyle.

View PostFrenotx, on December 01 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

The whole "More options in battle" is why people would buy more than one chassis.
And how would this solve the fundamental problem of them not knowing what is best for their playstyle_ Some people can tear people up in Infiltrators. Some simply cannot. How will they know if they can just build a custom on Day One_

#37 Glothrenite

Glothrenite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Kilda, Australia

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:39 AM

Custom parts should be unlocked through achievement and/or/combined with earned currency.  Too much customisation from the start can be be overwhelming for the initiate.  Also I want things to work toward.  Customisations should be more focused on variation in options as opposed to increasing base statistics.

I want a harpoon gun with a winch.
Posted Image

#38 Kyrzon

Kyrzon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, WA

Posted December 02 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 02 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

>Says it's a long time to play
>Has two mechs at L20, more at L10

Can you not defeat your own points_ Part of the reason I think there should be some level of mastery is so that players get an idea of what they are good with versus what they are not so good with. This allows them to build a better custom mech as it's more tailored to their playstyle.

Have any idea what (in hours) I classify as a LOT of play time_

126 hours logged this CBE (tracked by raptr). That's just over 5 straight days of play time in this CBE that has been only running for the last 12 days. So when I say that's a long time to play with just one mech, I'm talking about someone that is new to the game, because it is.

Lets assume for a second that the average player spends about 3 hours playing hawken per day, 5 days out of the week. That's 42 days of playtime to get to where I am at (hawken points wise) right now. I've also been running HP/XP boosts for the duration of the CBE. At anyrate, 42 days over 5 days a week puts someone into their 9th week of play. 2 months is a lot of time to invest.

I didn't say it takes a lot of play time because I was kidding or unintentionally contradicting myself; I said it takes a lot of play time because it does.

Edited by Kyrzon, December 02 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#39 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostKyrzon, on December 02 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Have any idea what (in hours) I classify as a LOT of play time_

126 hours logged this CBE (tracked by raptr). That's just over 5 straight days of play time in this CBE that has been only running for the last 12 days. So when I say that's a long time to play with just one mech, I'm talking about someone that is new to the game, because it is.

Lets assume for a second that the average player spends about 3 hours playing hawken per day, 5 days out of the week. That's 42 days of playtime to get to where I am at (hawken points wise) right now. I've also been running HP/XP boosts for the duration of the CBE. At anyrate, 42 days over 5 days a week puts someone into their 9th week of play. 2 months is a lot of time to invest.

I didn't say it takes a lot of play time because I was kidding or unintentionally contradicting myself; I said it takes a lot of play time because it does.
Realistically, it would take maybe 20-25 hours of play with a booster to max at least one mech out, and about double that with. It's a significant length of time, but not "forever." Mechs level on XP, after all, not HP, but you can get enough HP to buy a regular mech (assuming they all wind up costing 9200 HP) in about 9-10 hours of playtime, assuming 200-250 HP per match and that you play approximately four TDMs an hour.

I didn't say you had to master every mech, but at least one, maybe two. I think altogether I've put maybe 50-60 hours in over the betas, and I've maxed out mechs several times. Granted, it used to be easier; CB2 changed the leveling curve, so I actually lost ~3 levels on two L20s I had gotten during CB1.

Edited by DarkPulse, December 02 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#40 Kyrzon

Kyrzon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, WA

Posted December 02 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 02 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Realistically, it would take maybe 20-25 hours of play with a booster to max at least one mech out, and about double that with. It's a significant length of time, but not "forever." Mechs level on XP, after all, not HP, but you can get enough HP to buy a regular mech (assuming they all wind up costing 9200 HP) in about 9-10 hours of playtime, assuming 200-250 HP per match and that you play approximately four TDMs an hour.

I didn't say you had to master every mech, but at least one, maybe two.

I think I've failed to meet in the middle again with you DP; my initial comment between you and fox was to state that for a user customizing a mechanical with HP, it would take a good deal of time to do, based on the system I have suggested. My statement about play time and hawken points was to make clear that a new player would not (through hawken points anyways) be able to customize a mechanical to their liking without first logging a pretty big chunk of play time in the game. Levelling a mech to Max does not take long at all; by the time I had maxed my scout out I had a paltry 5600 HP at my disposal afterwards, and none of the internals/items were purchased with HP at all, it was all meteor points.

I had never meant to imply or state that you had to master every mech or that it would take forever to level a mechanical to 20, because it just doesn't.

Edited by Kyrzon, December 02 2012 - 02:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users