HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What is up with the c classes.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 11:16 PM

Well...I...Just...well...they suck.

I tried playing them just now to test them...maybe it's just me idk. I played the brawler for about 30 minutes.
(let me state that I picked up on the Assault and A classes in about this time.)
I used the SA Hawkins. Don't get it at all. Any time I went into turret mode I died due to seekers and hellfires.
the SA is pretty weak to me and it heats up pretty fast considering the damage it does. The Flak is the Flak so I could see that working but then turret mode it even more useless.

I can see the grenadier working possibly. It's pretty easy to just spew grenades everywhere and AOE everything in the world to death. The HEAT is a good weapon but on a slow mech it eliminates some of the peeking aspect of it.

The rocketman is the rocketman. pretty simple to play right now but easy to beat with an a class.

Does anyone have a high K/d or damage ratio with one of these mechs_

It could just be a matter of time, knowing how the mech works, and skill but I can't deal with the frustrating nature of the mechs.

Does anyone else find they are great with As, decent with Bs, and terrible at Cs or is it just me_

Edited by Necro, November 28 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:10 AM

First off, never use turret mode.
Never.
In almost every single situation, you'll be better off normally than you would be in turret mode, and even in rare instances, turret mode will probably be only as useful as normal mode.

Honestly, I play the Grenadier like a fat HEAT Infiltrator, and it works plenty fine for me. Unless you're a savant or put in some major practice time with the REV, it's really only good for spamming, and you'll likely get owned 1v1.
The difference from Infil play is though, there's times (and it takes practice getting to know when) that you throw your weight around.
Times when a A-class would retreat, a C-class charges. Sometimes you can get lesser skilled players to actually panic and suicide themselves as they fire their secondary and get killed by the splash off of you.
There's times when you can just stand out in the open and trade blows, giving you better firing positions.

I'd argue that knowing your positioning and when to run is even more important when playing C-class than an A-class. This is because you are fat and slow. It's not hard to hit you in the lardy ass as you run, and they will catch up.

Also, like I've been saying since Alpha, play like a fat ninja.
It works.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:11 AM

I ran on mostly a brawler during CB2, but this time around, I've found I'm much better with the berserker [my second-best] and significantly worse with the brawler [though I have been able to compensate and change up tactics].

The grenadier is annoying, but I haven't tried it. I don't see any problems with it, tho.
The rocketeer is spammy, and will likely be nerfed before open beta.

The main reason I found myself suddenly worse with the C class was in how they changed the jet mechanics and nerfed the c class's walk speed.

in CB2, they were already noticeably the slowest class, able to be outrun by the others. Making them even slower this time around was unnecessary, and, dare I say it, a mistake in my opinion, because now every C class pilot has to really rely on cover and/or teammates to get the job done, or it'll be danced circles around by skilled A-class pilots [which it already was before, it just can't compensate as well now]

The other change is that they gave the C class a much longer jet duration than the other classes, but slowed down the dodges and dodge recovery times just slightly. This also hurts the C's maneuverability; I think the devs intended to balance this out by giving them more fuel, but all that's good for is running away, which you have to do a lot to get a decent killstreak without being surrounded.

The new, bigger designs look rather strange too [almost like huge, mechanical bunnies], but that's just my two cents.

Edited by Ace4225, November 29 2012 - 12:15 AM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#4 JustJake

JustJake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:13 AM

Class C is the best type of mech.

Posted Image

#5 Wolfhelm

Wolfhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:16 AM

It all depends on your playstyle. I personally prefer the C class and in most matches have a better K/D ratio than in an A or B class. I didn't like them in alpha, beta 1 and 2, but now... I don't know what happened, but these bricks with legs are right now my favourite 'mechs. The turret mode is kinda' useless in DM, but when you're supported by team members, the C class really shines.
Posted Image

#6 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:27 AM

I just want to see a good example of a c class player...any videos or anything_

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostNecro, on November 29 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

I just want to see a good example of a c class player...any videos or anything_
Unfortunately, I don't have any Gren or Brawler footage (well, I do have Brawler, but it's from CBE2 with the SA against really new players).
I'm planning on getting some up soon though. Doesn't really help for the immediate sadly.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#8 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:36 AM

Alright, inform me if you do get some made, i'd love to see it.

Right now I don't see any viability in playing c class mechs competitively but perhaps I am just so use to A/B I am playing in COMPLETELY the wrong playstyle.

#9 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostAce4225, on November 29 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

in CB2, they were already noticeably the slowest class, able to be outrun by the others. Making them even slower this time around was unnecessary, and, dare I say it, a mistake in my opinion, because now every C class pilot has to really rely on cover and/or teammates to get the job done, or it'll be danced circles around by skilled A-class pilots [which it already was before, it just can't compensate as well now]

Ever since I started playing I always thought the C-class as more of a support class, but that's really just rocketeer. I'm totally OK with them being a low-tier solo class as long as they're effective as far as team play goes.

View PostNecro, on November 29 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Alright, inform me if you do get some made, i'd love to see it.

Right now I don't see any viability in playing c class mechs competitively but perhaps I am just so use to A/B I am playing in COMPLETELY the wrong playstyle.
You know, from your posts I always though you at least played the game. How can you play this game for more than 5 hours without seeing a Brawler wrecking everyone_

Edited by z121231211, November 29 2012 - 12:59 AM.

Desert Fox

#10 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:04 AM

View Postz121231211, on November 29 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

You know, from your posts I always though you at least played the game. How can you play this game for more than 5 hours without seeing a Brawler wrecking everyone_
To be honest, I've put like 30 hours into this beta phase, and I haven't seen a Brawler wrecking everyone.
I've seen a few Brawlers perform fairly well, but nothing too special.

And keep in mind, as C-class is my favorite, I tend to take note of good C-class players (Most of the good CBE 1/2 C-class pilots I've ran into look to be testing other mechs whenever I run into them :P).

AJK is right

#11 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:09 AM

16 hours for just this phase and I've never seen a C class mech get top.

Never.

There is always a scout/infiltrator/assault/bruiser there.

#12 JustJake

JustJake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostNecro, on November 29 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

16 hours for just this phase and I've never seen a C class mech get top.

Never.

There is always a scout/infiltrator/assault/bruiser there.

I spent the whole day as Brawler topping the charts. You won't see much good or creative play with matchmaking at only 16 hours. I'm gonna add you, maybe you can check out my C-class playstyle.

The Brawler is pretty much a giant scout. You wait for your team's Sharpshooters and Rocketeers to put a bit of long-range damage on the enemy ranks. Then, you hug corners and close in on them while firing your TOW when it comes off cooldown to soften them up even more.

At close range, if you have a ~400+ HP advantage, you just boost right into thier faces and flak away at point-blank range. It's great if you can pin them against a wall, too. If it's an even-footing battle in terms of HP, then close to short range but keep a corner handy to boost behind. Fire your TOW around the corner when you're hidden a few times, keeping back from them. Then go in for the CQC kill with the flak cannon

bruiser there.
Bruiser is pretty garbage, the pilot'd have to be pretty skill-gapped to grab first place with a Bruiser. I've seen Saer trying to make it work and failing; at this point I'm kinda convinced it can't be done.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

View Postz121231211, on November 29 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

To be honest, I've put like 30 hours into this beta phase, and I haven't seen a Brawler wrecking everyone.
I've seen a few Brawlers perform fairly well, but nothing too special.

And keep in mind, as C-class is my favorite, I tend to take note of good C-class players (Most of the good CBE 1/2 C-class pilots I've ran into look to be testing other mechs whenever I run into them :P).

I started trying out C-bruiser today and play it pretty similar to my Scout, which I think you've met on the fields of battle. I'm not fantastic with it, but it's passable enough that I haven't been defeated yet.

Edited by JustJake, November 29 2012 - 01:29 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostJustJake, on November 29 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

The Brawler is pretty much a giant scout. You wait for your team's Sharpshooters and Rocketeers to put a bit of long-range damage on the enemy ranks. Then, you hug corners and close in on them while firing your TOW when it comes off cooldown to soften them up even more.

At close range, if you have a ~400+ HP advantage, you just boost right into their faces and flak away at point-blank range. It's great if you can pin them against a wall, too. If it's an even-footing battle in terms of HP, then close to short range but keep a corner handy to boost behind. Fire your TOW around the corner when you're hidden a few times, keeping back from them. Then go in for the CQC kill with the flak cannon

Good tips.

Bruiser is pretty garbage, the pilot'd have to be pretty skill-gapped to grab first place with a Bruiser. I've seen Saer trying to make it work and failing; at this point I'm kinda convinced it can't be done.

A couple of my clan members have managed to rock it all the way to lvl 20, but the vulcan isn't much on it. Best when used at medium range as a support.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#14 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:55 AM

I may not have been the bruisers, could have been the berserks...these names confuse me.

Edited by Necro, November 29 2012 - 01:56 AM.

#15 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostJustJake, on November 29 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

The Brawler is pretty much a giant scout.
You've got it backwards.
The Scout is just a underdeveloped Brawler.

AJK is right

#16 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:58 AM

My heart will always be C-shaped.  That said, I’ve been rolling all of the A-classes in CB3 to learn their weaknesses for when I’m rolling out the Big Green Bu99er (aka. Brawler).  Currently I’m having more success with the A-classes, judging by my scorelines, but I’m still on the fence as to whether or not the As are flat out better than the Cs; at the moment I’m more of the opinion that the As are simply more versatile.

I’ve tried the SA on the Brawler for the more open maps (Bazzar) but it is only marginally useful at medium range and less than useless at close range; a very poorly chosen alternative weapon for a Brawler in my view.

The speed reductions only hurt the Cs, no denying that; and yes, the Cs are still effectively without a special ability (turret mode, in all its forms, is a fundamentally flawed notion).

Brawlers (not sure about Gren and Rock, I don’t play those) need support; if they’re out there on their own they usually get kited to oblivion.  Perhaps paradoxically, they’re pretty formidable when they waddle into a battle that has already been started by the lighter mechs on your team; rarely do I find that Cs make for good initiators.  I’ve found that I’m most useful to my team as a Brawler when I let the As scoot around to find the enemy, then I charge in shock-troop style and make an ungodly mess.  However, when it comes to defending an area there are fewer things harder to shift than a parked Brawler (not turreted – never turreted); you just have to be clever about where you park yourself to avoid speculative EMP shots.

I’m no expert player by any means, and I only have a level 10 Brawler in CB3, but I’m holding on to a 4.5KDR with it thus far.

#17 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:04 AM

You actually gotta be kinda sneaky with the Brawler. You can't have people spot you approaching them - they'll peck off your HP advantage and when you get close, you got a mobility disadvantage. It does sorta mean walking around to keep yourself off the radar, which can suck a lot but well.

High burst damage of course makes it great for corner kiting, and you can actually get a lot of cocky A-classes to play your game.

Against most classes you can more or less force a game of attrition, where mobility isn't big and its just face to face pounding. You can pretty much outpound every class except the As, since they generally won't play that game unless they are real bad. Though even if you can win attrition games, it tends to mean you don't last on the battlefield that long, so its something I would only really force if you need to kill a target as fast as possible and keep his attention off other things.

Being in the thick of it for most part and being a magnet for fire, keep a good track of repair orbs from your kills. You are slow,  you don't want to respawn and walk out there again. You wanna stay around for as long as possible.

Defensively, Brawler's are great for blunting enemy advances. There's nothing worse than turning a corner into a Brawler.

#18 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:13 AM

View Postdefekt, on November 29 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

Brawlers (not sure about Gren and Rock, I don’t play those) need support
Grens are a formidable force solo. The HEAT gives them great range, and if you've got the aim, it's good in close too. And unlike an Infiltrator, you can risk eating point blank splash from your own weapons.

On another note, this just uploaded.
Looks to be my first match on Grenadier.
http://youtu.be/0rryC_J42k4

AJK is right

#19 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for all the tips, it seems like it takes a lot more work to play a C class. Not even skill really but just a plan and good teammates. I'm not one to wait in the shadows and be an opportunist. However now that I think about it if I don't have another (good) teammate to come in after or distracting the enemy me I usually die even if i take a few down. I think of it as C classes aren't tanks but shields. I run it pop a few run away if i'm about to die then they come in and keep them away while I repair...almost like healer/tank...it's a paladin!

I'll have to try them again soon with all of this in mind.

Edited by Necro, November 29 2012 - 03:29 AM.

#20 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

I wish my game ran even half as smooth as yours.

Edited by Necro, November 29 2012 - 03:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users