HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What is up with the c classes.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostNecro, on November 29 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

I wish my game ran even half as smooth as yours.
Yeah, quite.  I'm lucky to see double figures fps in some battles, particularly on some maps.  Still, one adapts as best as one can.  Crappy fps hurts C-class play less, I've found; still hurts, just not as much.

And yes, the Gren does look like a pretty self-sufficient choice.  I might roll one come the full game as I’ve already cut my teeth on the two styles of play that seem to combine well with it: HEAT Infil gunplay with Brawler movement mentality.  Nice.

#22 JustJake

JustJake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:21 AM

In case you needed more proof that brawlers can steamroll a game, I took these end-game screenshots to show you that yes, non-scout mechs can be the top-scoring mechs. Also I just like seeing victory freeze-frames.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

First off, never use turret mode.
Never.

sadly, this is very true

#24 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:39 AM

Flak Brawler is awesome. I often imagine how awesome it would be if it actually had a useful special ability :)

#25 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostEntity, on November 29 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

Flak Brawler is awesome. I often imagine how awesome it would be if it actually had a useful special ability :)
...OP, clearly.  ;)

#26 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 08:32 AM

Posted Image

In short, you just don't know how to play with them. :P
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#27 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 29 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

First off, never use turret mode.
Never.
In almost every single situation, you'll be better off normally than you would be in turret mode, and even in rare instances, turret mode will probably be only as useful as normal mode.

Honestly, I play the Grenadier like a fat HEAT Infiltrator, and it works plenty fine for me. Unless you're a savant or put in some major practice time with the REV, it's really only good for spamming, and you'll likely get owned 1v1.
The difference from Infil play is though, there's times (and it takes practice getting to know when) that you throw your weight around.
Times when a A-class would retreat, a C-class charges. Sometimes you can get lesser skilled players to actually panic and suicide themselves as they fire their secondary and get killed by the splash off of you.
There's times when you can just stand out in the open and trade blows, giving you better firing positions.

I'd argue that knowing your positioning and when to run is even more important when playing C-class than an A-class. This is because you are fat and slow. It's not hard to hit you in the lardy ass as you run, and they will catch up.

Also, like I've been saying since Alpha, play like a fat ninja.
It works.

This is the way- fat ninja. Had hilarious amounts of success in CB1-2 doing this in an EOC rocketeer.

Edited by Frenotx, November 29 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#28 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:46 PM

You will fail at C-Class if you don't understand your positioning and the other team likes to gank you for being silly enough to be out of position. That is when C-Class is really rough... You cannot run.. they just jump over you and surround you while you got nothing you can do but eat damage and hope you kill at least 1 before you go down.

Always engage in fights happening.. don't start them unless your team is right behind you and ready to pass you.

#29 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:50 PM

View Postdefekt, on November 29 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

View PostNecro, on November 29 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

I wish my game ran even half as smooth as yours.
Yeah, quite.  I'm lucky to see double figures fps in some battles, particularly on some maps.  Still, one adapts as best as one can.  Crappy fps hurts C-class play less, I've found; still hurts, just not as much.
For the record, while I record at 60 fps, when I'm recording, I'm actually playing with somewhere around 15 fps.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#30 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:16 PM

Kiwi likes to think he's a competent Brawler, and his number one thing is surprise. Asian's said stuff about this, but Kiwi wants to share a bit of his thoughts. If you're playing Brawler, you need to understand stealth. No boosting (even if it's slower) once you've gotten whiff of an enemy. Unaware enemies rarely move fast enough to evade a patient player (and why would they_ You're not there). An A-Class's power is that they can determine the engagement. It's your task to minimize their ability to do so (this also goes for fighting B's)
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#31 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

For the record, while I record at 60 fps, when I'm recording, I'm actually playing with somewhere around 15 fps.
That's...possible_

How do you record more frames than you put in, unless there's a huge buffer but even with that it'll still take time to output to the buffer.
Desert Fox

#32 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postz121231211, on November 29 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

That's...possible_
How do you record more frames than you put in, unless there's a huge buffer but even with that it'll still take time to output to the buffer.
I don't know how the programming magic works. I only know it's possible because I do it on a regular basis.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#33 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 29 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

View Postz121231211, on November 29 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

That's...possible_
I don't know how the programming magic works. I only know it's possible because I do it on a regular basis.
Unix is the only program that uses magic, as far as Kiwi's aware.

#34 spicymelons

spicymelons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOC, California

Posted November 29 2012 - 04:37 PM

Not trying to start any trouble OP. Just offering some constructive criticisms based on my experience with C classes.

I think your mentality when playing this class should be adjusted.

When I play C class, I mostly concentrate on Support/Defending. I think that's why they are so slow.
My job is to make sure any mech smaller than me get’s where it needs to go with as little resistance as possible.

This isn’t always viable. Sometimes I will have to push back enemies while waiting for my team to get to my position.
Launching a volley in my enemies direction is a pretty good way to do this. They start doing crazy dodge dances when they hear that warning.

I am not trying to be Rambo, I am trying to help my teammates be Rambo.
Usually I will get a top rank for all the assists.

I use a Rocketeer when I play C class.

I mostly stick to my Berserker though.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

#35 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:11 PM

I find most people stick to As and Bs. I've played a bit more C class since I made this. Still not as good with it as i am with an A class but i'm getting better.

I can do Flak brawler and get scores but the SA is pretty weak.

#36 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:15 PM

The SA doesn't really play to the Brawler's strengths at all. Don't get Kiwi wrong, he loves that gun, but it's not for the Brawler.

#37 virella

virella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 09:32 PM

right now it seems that 1 out of two mechs out there are either rocketeers, brawlers or scouts anyone else noticing this, and usually one of them is leading the kill count.
Posted Image

#38 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 10:38 PM

Well, i got 2-3 good scores with brawler now at least.

Tried screenshotting them but i had 2 monitors on and the game hates that so there black but ohh well.

Edited by Necro, December 02 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#39 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 30 2012 - 01:53 PM

View Postvirella, on November 29 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

right now it seems that 1 out of two mechs out there are either rocketeers, brawlers or scouts anyone else noticing this, and usually one of them is leading the kill count.

Rocketeers, yes. I played a few matches today and every single one of them had at least two, if not more, Rocketeers going to town with their seekers. Granted I was playing a Rocketeer too, but using EOC instead. I think I'm the only one who was.

Brawlers, not really. I've seen a couple recently, but not as many as I did in CBE2.

Scouts seem to be declining too, actually. At least there weren't many today. Everyone seems to be jumping on the Seeker bandwagon...

#40 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostDM30, on November 30 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Rocketeers, yes. I played a few matches today and every single one of them had at least two, if not more, Rocketeers going to town with their seekers. Granted I was playing a Rocketeer too, but using EOC instead. I think I'm the only one who was.
Good for you.  Having my screen constantly blacked out with missile spam is really beginning to choke my goat; in addition, it clobbers my frame rate.  The sooner that weapon [Seeker] is gone (in its current form) the better IMO.  I don't mind that the Rocketeer is to be the 'W+LMB / no-aim-required' machine in Hawken, every game needs its n00btube, but I do mind when its attacks ruin the target's system performance thus further enhancing the effect of an already too powerful / too easy weapon set.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users