HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Prototype Mech C Class Exclusive_!

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 04 2012 - 12:48 AM

Thing looks godawful.

#62 Holem

Holem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 03 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostHolem, on December 03 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

I was a bit disappointed in this. As a person that drops money to "promote" support a company easily. I'm now weary of money hungry F2P games since all the support in the world won't stop companies shutting down games that aren't popular. I overlooked the 7 day "bonus" since many other "packages" from Planetside 2 (6 months), MWO 3 months, etc. While the 7 day bonuses will only be bought for vacations or people that don't have work. I usually justify if a game is worth it if the premium time = ~$15 a month for a regular MMO.

I guess I'll just buy the second best package for support since it is the first one that allows me to start the bonus when I can play 3 full days. All companies claim to not have P2W but I consider any game that allows you to "buy" most upgrades and doesn't make you have to earn (ie invest time to unlock something,) is P2W.

2cents
Planetside 2 does something similar. Certs earn guns, Station Cash buys them. Only thing that pure money can buy (in both games) is cosmetics.

Are they also Pay to Win_

No, Hawken's model is not only cosmetics like TF2 but with money, you can unlock ALL mechs, ALL offensive/defensive modules, etc. The only thing you can't unlock is the skill bonuses. This makes the mechs not as valuable as if you had to unlock a higher tier "tank" in WoT because you earned it through playing the tank before or another tank and spending money to convert XP.

As for PS2 (I'm also playing) has certs that ALSO allows passive earnings so that you don't lag too far behind. Also, you can't buy the top medic tool w/o cert points that you earn. Due to the limited certs and time investments, I don't consider it P2W. Hawken's system is on the very edge of not what I'd consider P2W due to the bonuses you have to unlock by playing and earning xp. Being able to buy all the mechs and their subsystems and having such short bonus time with money though is what brushes it towards P2W. I'm all for cosmetics bc games like TF2/DOTA2/WoT feels like I can take on any veterans without spending a dime (although I spend money).

In the end, the common factor for a successful company is not the players that pays but the players that don't pay a dime. I know it sounds opposite of what we are used to but the more non-payers we have that wants to play, gives the payers more targets to shoot at and complain about versus a ghost town of just elite paying players. MWO has such a high barrier for non-founders that many have stopped playing.

LIttle things like not being able to upgrade from Lt to Commander (MWO allowed this.), or allowing players to get multiple packages are not good indicators. Giving players free stuff, gold, garage slots, stuff that req gold (WoT), item drops (TF2, Dota 2), ships (EVE) tend to be more successful in the long run.

FYI, I'm pulling this info not from my a$$ but from the large (ie 1000s) playerbase group in reddit's TS/mumble that I play with in EVE, WoT, etc. This is only because I am tired of putting down money and getting screwed like Perfect world's shotgun business model. I do like Hawken enough to put money down for the LT even though I play more class A.

Edited by Holem, December 04 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#63 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostHolem, on December 04 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

No, Hawken's model is not only cosmetics like TF2 but with money, you can unlock ALL mechs, ALL offensive/defensive modules, etc. The only thing you can't unlock is the skill bonuses. This makes the mechs not as valuable as if you had to unlock a higher tier "tank" in WoT because you earned it through playing the tank before or another tank and spending money to convert XP.

As for PS2 (I'm also playing) has certs that ALSO allows passive earnings so that you don't lag too far behind. Also, you can't buy the top medic tool w/o cert points that you earn. Due to the limited certs and time investments, I don't consider it P2W. Hawken's system is on the very edge of not what I'd consider P2W due to the bonuses you have to unlock by playing and earning xp. Being able to buy all the mechs and their subsystems and having such short bonus time with money though is what brushes it towards P2W. I'm all for cosmetics bc games like TF2/DOTA2/WoT feels like I can take on any veterans without spending a dime (although I spend money).

In the end, the common factor for a successful company is not the players that pays but the players that don't pay a dime. I know it sounds opposite of what we are used to but the more non-payers we have that wants to play, gives the payers more targets to shoot at and complain about versus a ghost town of just elite paying players. MWO has such a high barrier for non-founders that many have stopped playing.

LIttle things like not being able to upgrade from Lt to Commander (MWO allowed this.), or allowing players to get multiple packages are not good indicators. Giving players free stuff, gold, garage slots, stuff that req gold (WoT), item drops (TF2, Dota 2), ships (EVE) tend to be more successful in the long run.

FYI, I'm pulling this info not from my a$$ but from the large (ie 1000s) playerbase group in reddit's TS/mumble that I play with in EVE, WoT, etc. This is only because I am tired of putting down money and getting screwed like Perfect world's shotgun business model. I do like Hawken enough to put money down for the LT even though I play more class A.

Kiwi's sorry, but are you actually defending WoT's transaction methods_ Where for the longest time they had flat out better ammo that you could only get with cash money_

Or how about where even if you did play for 300 hours, you couldn't get that Maus unless you spent it all in the right tanks. Oh wait, no, you could spent that time in other tanks, IF you were willing to spend 180 dollars or so (assuming you only used free XP and never touched the line).

Or the matchmaking where if you're unlucky you are pitted against enemies you can literally do nothing about. (Unless you shell out for gold ammo)

Hypothetically the matchmaking of WoT means that even if someone could buy an IS-7, you'd never face one in your M4 Sherman, so the idea that being able to buy tanks would somehow unbalance the game is absurd.

Oh, and Kiwi would not be the least surprised to hear that WG makes more money off premium and premium tanks that ease the grind then they would if you could just buy a tank. (The grind to get a Tier 10 is significantly longer then fully kitting out a machine in Hawken)

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, December 04 2012 - 08:41 AM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#64 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:38 PM

Is that a Sabot riffle with a drum_

BTW why are we talking about tanks_ I have 4 tier 10s in my garage and a 5th that i sold.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, December 04 2012 - 08:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users