HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

EOC Repeater needs some lovin.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 05 2012 - 09:12 PM

Most unused weapon of CBE3_

Personally i quite enjoyed the few games i have played with it. It definitively isn't underpowered but it feels a bit lackluster.
It is supposed to set land mines, but the radius at which they get detonated is excessively small.
As for the splash radius it is hard to tell since they rarely detonate when someone is nearby, but having a bigger splash radius would make CQC very challenging.
Damage wise it is comparable to the heat but it is a lot more unreliable due to the fact that the mines get shot one after the other and therefore the full affect can not be reached if you dodge during your shot.
The travel time feels good, it definitively takes a few games to get used to but i do not think this is an issue.

Personally i enjoyed it quite a bit. Being one of only 2-3 people i have seen using it during CBE3 brought great satisfaction to the little hipster inside me.

How do you feel about the EOC_

Video will be uploading overnight.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#2 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted December 05 2012 - 09:22 PM

The EOC has been my favorite weapon since I first started playing this game. It is absolutely hilarious. It could use a little love, though. I'd personally like to see the projectile speed increased, but that's probably partially due to how I like to use it. If the projectile speed isn't increased, then its mine-laying abilities need to be improved some. Longer timeout, bigger trigger radius, better mine damage.... any number of things could work.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#3 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 05 2012 - 09:25 PM

Things I think could help the EOC:
  • Be able to fire 1 puck at a time
  • Faster projectile speed
  • Change it to emphasize it's mine laying functions
  • Turn it into a sticky launcer

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#4 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:19 PM

Fixing the EOC:
  • Undo the stealth damage nerf (went from 35/puck to 25/puck)
  • Undo the stealth explosion radius nerf (went from 350 units (7m) to lolyoucanstandonthepuckanditdoesnothing)

Currently, the weapon does DPS on par with the TOW, which might seem like quite a lot, except you have to hit your opponent with 6 projectiles instead of 1, and you cannot airburst them, and the proximity required is much closer (from somewhere in the same general galaxy with the TOW to practically-have-to-hit-your-opponent anyway).

If the damage were re-boosted to its original 210/full charge, and the explosion radius of the pucks went back to what it was, the EOC could do damage on par with the Flak Cannon, which might seem overbalanced, but the Flak Cannon (and the mini-Flak) are hitscan, while the EOC remains projectile/dodgeable/predicative.

Draco

#5 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:22 PM

+1.  I want the EOC to be a good weapon.  It has all the potential for a crafty sidegrade that rewards player skill.  It just needs a buff to damage/projectile speed.  Or give the mines more weight.  It's *SO FRIGGIN' CLOSE*
errything is pink chex, errything is pink chex

#6 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:26 PM

the sequential fire makes it nigh impossible to hit with every round. I find in most cases I have to whip my gun as it fires to hit a moving target with every round, and with such a slow travel time its easy for them to dodge it by just moving inconsistently. using it at mid range and hitting 100% requires your target to be moving at the exact same rate for 2-3 seconds, or god like anticipation of your targets movement. Even when they do move in a consistent direction, it isn't easy to whip the shot perfectly so that they all hit.

They detonate on impact. so you can't just get in their face and unload without destroying yourself.

I'm not sure if the mines aren't meant to detonate when stepped on, or if the detonation hitbox is miniscule. The only time I can deal damage with them as mines is when fighting in a choke point, and the mines detonate on timer.

I keep trying to use this gun for the sport of it. But there is just no way to justify using it over the heat cannon competitively.

Edited by Urvanis, December 05 2012 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#7 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 06 2012 - 04:35 AM

If they do buff detonation radius and damage it would be nice if they were more visible as of now they are practically invisible.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#8 wat

wat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 05:51 AM

I love the EOC, especially on a Rocketeer with Hellfire.  It's usually talked about as a "landmine layer" but I dont think it works that way at all.  It's a great direct fire weapon that takes people by surprise, and it's got good range.  Make it slightly higher DPS than TOW to offset its higher skill demands.  Make it able to semi-auto fire each of the 6 projectiles as one way to use it and charge fire 6 as another way to use it and it will be versatile without becoming OP.  I dont think it needs a major buff, just a small boost to give it an edge over the TOW which is a comparable weapon.  TOW will still have the control advantage (detonate mid air, large blast radius) and instant hit burst damage while EOC does slightly more DPS at the cost of higher skill required to use it.

#9 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:04 AM

I don't think the EOC needs some stats love all that badly, but I haven't used it since Alpha 2 so I can't say much. What I would love to be changed about it is to make it flashier. Hitting an enemy with it just feels so weak. The pucks only explode when they don't hit an enemy_ I feel like I'm tickling them rather than doing horrible amounts of damage. A white flash with an excess of sparks would be sweet. The enemy too, should feel like they're taking the damage they are. Some nice sharp thuds sounding through the cockpit would let me know I'm taking damage from an EOC.
Posted Image

#10 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:12 AM

question, how many mines can you have out at once_ Or is it basically a gimmicky HEAT cannon that requires someone to be near the mines to do the splash damage.

I don't mind it being slower than the HEAT cannon as each gun should feel a bit different. I understand that getting 6 shots to hit is ungodly hard. But it is meant to have a different mechanic than HEAT. That mechanic just might need a buff it seems.

I wish I had time to play with this weapon = I just cannot stand playing as rocketeer and I don't have a lvl 20 inful

#11 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:59 AM

When I played the Rocketeer I enjoyed using the EOC a lot more than the Seeker, just because the Seeker was boring as all heck to use. Yes, it is very hard to hit a moving target, but I found it was really effective at flanking an enemy and blasting them when they weren't expecting it. IF you manage to hit all 6 shots it can hurt quite a bit, but that is pretty hard to do consistently, especially against A classes dodging around right in front of your face.

I like some of the suggestions in here, though. Being able to fire one shot at a time faster than the three-shot bursts would be nice, or just decrease the recharge time between bursts (no damage per shot increase in that case, or else that's too much of a buff), as well as having the shots actually be somewhat effective as mines. And I completely agree that the visual/audio effects of an impact on an enemy mech NEEDS to be improved. The thing's firing explosives, so they should explode, please.

But yeah, as a weapon itself I like it for its more unique concept. I would like to see more of it over the constant Seeker spam.

#12 MarkJW

MarkJW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 10:19 AM

Someone managed to hit me with the EOC yesterday, all six shots straight to the face of my little Class A. It hurt and scared me shitless, because I had never been able to use that god damn gun effectively myself in CBT2. Didn't see the guy use it again though. Seems difficult to land shots unless the target is coming right at you (which I was).

#13 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 06 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostMarkJW, on December 06 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

Someone managed to hit me with the EOC yesterday, all six shots straight to the face of my little Class A. It hurt and scared me shitless, because I had never been able to use that god damn gun effectively myself in CBT2. Didn't see the guy use it again though. Seems difficult to land shots unless the target is coming right at you (which I was).

What time was that game_ Might have been me. :P

#14 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted December 06 2012 - 12:01 PM

I practiced with the EOC a lot in CBE2 and got decent with it on the Rocketeer, but it really does need some buffs to make it a viable choice for the difficulty vs reward it has. Buffs to the proximity mine function would be welcome, but if not careful could quickly swing this weapon out of balance.

Edited by Skylead, December 06 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#15 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:54 PM

View Postdraco7891, on December 05 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

lolyoucanstandonthepuckanditdoesnothing

I just wish the radius wasn't this small. Direct hits are pretty much the only way to get damage. And when they explode after like 6 seconds and someone is unlucky enough to stand near them.
Desert Fox

#16 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 09:09 PM

I agree it needs some tweaking. You guys are a lot smarter than I am when it comes to this kind of thing... all I can say is I tried it a few times and gave up for all the reasons mentioned above (particularly - just couldn't hit Class A's at all; could only hit mostly stationary targets; had no idea it laid mines.)

#17 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 06 2012 - 09:44 PM

Seekers being what they are, I found no real reason to try and get my head around the EOC Repeater. I feel like this is one of those weapons that might prove extremely effective for those that are willing to perfect its use.

#18 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:56 AM

I like this thread becuse reasons.
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#19 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 05:55 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on December 06 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

I don't think the EOC needs some stats love all that badly, but I haven't used it since Alpha 2 so I can't say much. What I would love to be changed about it is to make it flashier. Hitting an enemy with it just feels so weak. The pucks only explode when they don't hit an enemy_ I feel like I'm tickling them rather than doing horrible amounts of damage. A white flash with an excess of sparks would be sweet. The enemy too, should feel like they're taking the damage they are. Some nice sharp thuds sounding through the cockpit would let me know I'm taking damage from an EOC.
Tru dat.  When I'm being hit by pucks I see nothing and hear what sounds like someone slapping the side of my cockpit with a damp Haddock.

#20 wat

wat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 11:14 AM

Perhaps the EOC could scale damage based on number of projectiles that hit concurrently - the example I'm thinking of is the Needler from Halo.  The damage multiplier would be greatest if all 6 projectiles hit.

I have no idea what any of the math is in this game but just entertain this fictional math.  Numbers can obviously be replaced with workable in game numbers, but the concept is here.

Each projectile does a fixed amount of damage, say 30.  Then, total damage is multiplied by a different factor based on the number of projectiles that hit.  For instance, 2 projectiles can give a 5% bonus to damage, 4 projectiles get a 15% bonus to damage, and all 6 projectiles can get something massive like a 50% bonus to damage.

Number of successful hits in one salvo:
1 hit: 30 damage flat
2 hit: (30+30)*1.05 = 63 total damage
3 hit: (30+30+30)*1.10 = 99 total damage
4 hit: (30+30+30+30)*1.15 = 138 total damage
5 hit: (30+30+30+30+30)*1.20 = 180 damage
6 hit: (30+30+30+30+30+30)*1.50 = 270 damage

If it ends up being OP, perhaps the projectiles could come out not at a fixed rate, but a slower rate per each projectile.  In other words, the first 3 shots would come out almost immediately, and then each subsequent shot would take .25 seconds, and the sixth shot would come out .5 seconds later, or something.  That way, it's easy to get a consistent base level of damage with a basic 3 round burst since the first 3 projectiles come out in quick succession, but getting that final critical damage hit made difficult by the late firing of the sixth shot, and is only rewarded for great skill.

So effectively the EOC could become a non-seeking Needler with 6 projectiles instead of 20.  Hit a few times, get low damage.  Hit every shot, get a massive reward.  But, it requires careful tracking of an opponent; it can be fought with clever dodging and timings.  It would make fighting someone with EOC a matter of moving unpredictably.

Thoughts_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users