HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Updates/News/Announcements

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#1 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 10:26 PM

I thought I'd make this topic as a place for forum-goers to easily check for new info on Hawken.  I'll try to edit and update this original post when we have news or progress to share.  Thank you everyone for being patient as we develop the game.

2/28/2012

FUNDING!

Venture capital firms Benchmark Capital and FirstMark Capital, also responsible for backing League of Legends, have invested in Hawken and Meteor Entertainment!  Here's a few links relating to the news:

Venturebeat Article

Kotaku: "Because Hawken looks awesome"

Interview with Mark Long, CEO of Meteor Entertainment

AND

Meteor Entertainment's new website

Now, for anyone curious let me clarify a few things about Meteor and Adhesive.

They are both branches of the same company; Meteor Entertainment is the publisher and Adhesive Games is the developer. The reason we split things up like this is that it will allow Meteor to offer its services to other developers, while the Adhesive branch can maintain it's own unique identity and reputation developing its own titles.

The $10mil in funding you read about above will go toward achieving both of these goals. $10mil is not the budget of Hawken, it's the budget of setting up both divisions and creating the structure of a free-to-play platform that can then be utilized by other independent developers. Hawken will of course be a top priority, but Adhesive will receive necessary funding through Meteor as if it were a traditional publishing deal (even though they are essentially one entity).

Hope this makes things a little clearer!  

2/6/2012

Hawken confirmed for PC

Sign up for the Hawken closed beta at https://www.playhawken.com/!  Enlist friends and your callsign will be reserved immediately.

UPDATE:

Since there are a number of inaccuracies in the article linked above, there has been some confusion about details of the game/publisher and a number of complaints or concerns about the free-to-play model.  Hawken will not be "pay to win".  Jon has made a thread clarifying some details, and we have both shared our (similar) thoughts on the direction of Hawken:

Clarifications about Hawken

Why make Hawken Free to Play

1/5/2012
[attachment=4]Andromeda0011.jpg[/attachment]
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone!  

First and foremost let me apologize for the extended silence on our end.  I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding as the Adhesive crew lays low and continues work on Hawken.  For a few different reasons we can't currently share specific details or progress on the game, the team is still engaged in "stealth mode" for a little while longer.  

Just know that we've taken fan suggestions to heart and are working to make Hawken a deeper experience (but still MP only :P).

[attachment=3]Building_Mechs.jpg[/attachment]
So the good news is that the game is alive and well and with even more content.  In fact, Adhesive Games is looking to fill a few more positions on the Hawken team.  To see what we're looking for, head over to the newly created "Jobs" section on the forums (which should have some listings posted tomorrow).

[attachment=2]Titan0058.jpg[/attachment]
For now we can't reveal anything too mindblowingly new, but we'd like to share a few screenshots and tidbits of concept art from the game (which I've peppered throughout this post).

[attachment=1]Red_LightsConcept.jpg[/attachment]
Thank you once again for your patience, support, and feedback... and don't worry, you'll definitely be hearing some more significant news from us in the coming months!

[attachment=0]LightMech.jpg[/attachment]
P.S. -  We're going to give away a few extra team t-shirts to forum-goers so keep checking the t-shirt thread for more info on that.

8/30/2011

Landmark Challenge photos, and the PAX 2011 Desert vid!

Desert Gameplay Video, with Landmark Challenge photos at the end!

If you missed the PC Gamer presentation that this was featured in, here's the whole thing:

Full PC Gamer PAX panel with desert video at the very end.

8/26/2011

The new Hawken teaser trailer is up on IGN! http://www.ign.com/v...=103025&show=HD

And here it is on our own Youtube channel.

8/22/2011

Hey Doods!

Keep your Forward Looking Infrared cams active this week because we've got a couple more videos coming your way.

One will be presented at PC Gamer's PAX panel on.... PC gaming.... this Friday (we were going to do a live multiplayer gameplay demo but found out there would be no network access on the stage, so we threw together some gameplay clips at the last minute). It should be more straight-forward gameplay from our desert level (brown, brown, brown!), straight from our own studio playsessions. It might give you more of an idea of the pacing of our combat.

The other video should be out the end of this week too, on IGN first and then on our Youtube channel. It's a little more cinematic and will tease vaguely at some of the Hawken story.

Both videos will show off some playable environments and actual gameplay. Nothing new will be revealed, but we just wanted to put something out to remind everyone we're still here, working on the game.

Status Report On Development:

We're polishing up more maps and replacing temp art with more finalized work.

I'm focusing pretty heavily on UI (with designs from some of the other guys here), stuff like getting a proper sniper scope and homing missile lock-on in there, as well as objective-based UI and HUD details.

There's a few new weapon models in the game now, since we were reusing a few models for multiple weapons, and we added lower-poly third-person models (all the TPS weapons used to be the same high-res models as the FPS view).

There's a Training Facility in progress, where you can learn movement and combat mechanics in a stress-free environment.

Due to popular demand, we're starting to explore the modularization (i think that's a word) of the mechs, to allow for more customization of armor and components.

That's all I'll say for now, but trust me, when we've got something worthwhile to announce or show, you guys will know about it :D  

6/15/2011

I'll kick things off by sharing some details about what the team has been working on recently and what you can look forward to in the near future.  

E3!  

As you probably know, last week was the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.  Although Adhesive Games didn't have a fancypants booth or...anything... at the convention, the team was very busy the whole week!  We had a foolish amount of demos and meetings with publishers, and we're very optimistic about nailing down the details on platforms in the near future.

Our only media presence at E3 was a brief live demo we did for G4TV, where we showed off our desert map and new "Siege" team mode.  Khang Le was interviewed during the gameplay and came across as a nubile adonis.  

The gist of Siege mode is that each team has a base and must fight over and collect resources on the map.  The resources must be returned to your base in order to launch a giant battleship which will then attempt to reach and destroy the enemy's base.  There's more details on Siege mode that we'll talk about in the future, but feel free to ask questions if you like.  

After the G4 demo, interviewer and Attack Of The Show host Kevin Pereira named Hawken one of his picks for Best of E3!  That was a great surprise for us!

T-Shirts

The Hawken shirts are in (pictures coming soon)!  We ordered these for the team for E3, but went ahead and got a whole bunch extra in case fans are interested.  Sizes are S, M, L, XL and XXL.  We still need to sit down and calculate the exact price and how to receive payment, but I'm guessing they'll be around $20.  We aren't trying to make a buck off of these but just want to cover the costs plus shipping.  Look for a post in the next day or two with pics and more details.

Progress And Things To Come

So sometime in the near future we'll be putting out another Youtube vid of Hawken in action.  This time around we'd like to show off a bit more of the desert level and Siege mode.  We also have some new weapons finished and other details you haven't seen yet.  

As promised, we'll also show off the submissions to our Hawken Landmark Challenge so thank you to everyone who participated!

Art-wise, the team has been working on fleshing out more maps, and creating props, structures and other things I'm keeping secret for fun.  On the design and programming side we've been developing another team mode with a very different feeling from Siege or Deathmatch.  Personally I've been working on rigging and animating a few new weapons, as well as some elements of the maps that affect gameplay.  

Moving forward we will be working on adding more variety to the Mechs visually and through other customizations.  We also need to put a lot of work into the UI other visual feedback.  At some point we'll reveal our Heavy Mech and additional maps, but we'll be keeping some things close to our chest until Hawken is further along.  

So thanks again for hanging in there and for the support, feedback, and ideas from everyone on the forums!

#2 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 10:29 PM

#3 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted June 16 2011 - 06:34 AM

Cool!

Can't wait to see more.

#4 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 08:31 AM

" The resources must be returned to your base in order to launch a giant battleship which will then attempt to reach and destroy the enemy's base. "

Win.

That's the epic stature we are looking on games of this sort. Please continue with ideas like those.

Another idea is to do battle between large flying battleship fortresses where teams tries to invade each other bridging their battleships. There could be air strikes and many other sorties during the battlefield.

#5 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted June 16 2011 - 04:48 PM

Thanx for the informative update Chris!

Seige mode is definately sounding more and more interesting with every new piece of info that you guys are releasing!
I look forward to seeing more gameplay and some of the new assets you guys have been working on!

Not quite sure what MechMechanics1 was actually saying but if he's talking about a last ditch effort by the loosing team to invade the bridge of the attacking battleship I think it's quite a good idea!  I'll create a seperate thread(so I don't clutter this thread) and expand my ideas on this!
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#6 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 16 2011 - 07:47 PM

really love the concept of siege mode, i love the idea of matches progressing towards some kind of big climax ending that sending forth a flying battleship to nuke the enemy implies.

I hope you can shoot those things down.  Would be glorious to see one of those things go all hindenburg
Mech time all the time

#7 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 17 2011 - 05:11 AM

ChrisLalli said:

lol
Those are fighting words

as you all post the new info, I'm sure we will all give you feedback.

Thx for keeping us in the loop.
Posted Image

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across

#8 Missy

Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted June 17 2011 - 10:01 AM

Will there be any deciduous forest maps in this game_ There must
be somekind of last nature resource they are fighting over right_ ^^

And thanks for the update, I like this kind of threads.

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 17 2011 - 10:19 AM

Outstanding material, guys!!.

And looking forward to the next gameplay video probably based on that other new awesome map!

( Yeah, the purple one.. ) ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 20 2011 - 10:45 PM

Miss said:

One would think
Posted Image

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across

#11 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationJerusalem, Israel.

Posted June 22 2011 - 02:21 AM

Miss said:

I actually made a thread in suggestions about how they should add nature maps, like an open desert or a forest.

viewtopic.php_f=7&t=76
★★★★★

#12 PilotOmegaK

PilotOmegaK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 12:05 PM

It's getting a little dry here, hope we get an update soon.

#13 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 08:57 PM

PilotOmegaK said:

It's getting a little dry here, hope we get an update soon.

Yep, I almost lost complete interest in this IP.

We have to wait kilo metric seasons for tiny bits on this game.

#14 PilotOmegaK

PilotOmegaK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 10:46 PM

I personally don't blame them though, they are a team with limited time and resources after all.

That being said it's possible that they aren't the type to post an update talking about small insignificant pieces and simply want to give us substantial updates when reasonable progress has been made.

In that case I don't mind, it just means that discussions about updates and the game will come in bulk for a short period of time before dropping off in activity each update. With this, it will probably be best if people put this on the back burner and check up on it only twice a week, so not to burn yourself out waiting on updates.

#15 Barcode1

Barcode1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 08:43 PM

Iunno about you guys, but I'd rather wait for big news than get spoiled with the entire game before the release.

I'm sure we all have other things to be done in the meantime! :P
In-game username-to-be: cupcakesRevenge

#16 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted June 29 2011 - 01:39 AM

Give 'em a break, Mechanics- I'd rather they spend time working on the game then making flashy trailers.

#17 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted July 01 2011 - 05:57 AM

Jack Dandy said:

Give 'em a break, Mechanics- I'd rather they spend time working on the game then making flashy trailers.

How much_

Centuries_

Two years_

#18 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted July 01 2011 - 07:25 AM

Give 'em how much it takes. They don't really owe us anything, and I'm just glad they picked the choice of letting their fans get involved as much as they did.

#19 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted July 02 2011 - 06:47 AM

Jack Dandy said:

Give 'em how much it takes. They don't really owe us anything, and I'm just glad they picked the choice of letting their fans get involved as much as they did.

True. But the purpose of any game is to be played. If the game is only in their PCs then they don't owe us anything. We simply move on to other games and forget this one until is done.

However, the way I see it, the game is being gimped thanks to the consoles. The long wait and their possible downgrade will probably make this another failed dream for everyone.

...and the probabilities are very high after the last game play video....

It's downhill from now on...

#20 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted July 02 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone for looking forward to more info on Hawken, but we aren't really at a stage where we are going to be releasing a lot of details.  Honestly a lot of what we accomplish on a weekly basis is pretty mundane.  We didn't start the forums to provide weekly updates or a dev diary, in fact we were reluctant to have a forum because of that.  But a lot of fans contacted us wanting a place to discuss the game, so we created one.  

We are literally right in the middle of development and it doesn't benefit us to constantly announce details since things get added/removed/changed regularly.  It would also leave us with nothing to reveal when the time comes to drum up interest and excitement for Hawken closer to its release.  A final concern for us is that as a smaller slower moving team, ideas and mechanics that are publicly released could easily be mimicked by other companies with larger resources.

I hope you guys can understand those issues and don't take periods of silence personally as a snub to fans.  As I mentioned in the OP we're putting together another video with the desert level (Khang Le actually edits all our trailers so it's often a choice between that or more art for our game), and I'll try to add another progress report sometime this month.  If you're just waiting for tons of new information and media, it's probably better to check back a few months before Hawken is released (we'll announce a date sometime :P).  Until then the forums are going to be mostly for ideas, suggestions, questions, or just a creative/social outlet for mech fans.  We do read the posts and thank everyone for their input!

However, the way I see it, the game is being gimped thanks to the consoles. The long wait and their possible downgrade will probably make this another failed dream for everyone.

...and the probabilities are very high after the last game play video....

I address this to some degree here http://www.forums.ad...27&p=3313#p3313

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users