HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Weapon Overheating, and why it's innacurate

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these do you prefer in this discussion_ (413 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these do you prefer in this discussion_

1. Weapon Overheating (284 votes [71.00%])

Percentage of vote: 71.00%

2. Weapon Reloading (75 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Neither. Let me fire my guns near infinitely (30 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

4. Other (Please specify in your post) (11 votes [2.75%])

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 cana666

cana666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted September 22 2012 - 01:16 PM

The overheating its a part of the mechs games

But would be a consumer to a cool instant the weapons, buy it with money of the game and real money

I7 860 // Hyper212+ // Asus P7P55D Deluxe // 4x2gb Mushkin 1333Mhz  8-8-8-22 1.5v (991659B) // Fan Kingston Hyper X // EVGA GTX460 SSC // Samsung HDD105SI // 620W Antec HCG // CM Centurion 534 (MODed) // Logitech Cordless barato // Side Winder X3
Posted Image

#22 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted September 22 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postcana666, on September 22 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

But would be a consumer to a cool instant the weapons, buy it with money of the game and real money

That bolded bit of your sentence = NO.

But as a usable item bought with ingame money_ Sure.
Insta-cool would be a nifty item to run on fast overheating weapons, or for keeping you in a fight longer.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#23 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 22 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostNitris, on September 22 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

View Postcana666, on September 22 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

That bolded bit of your sentence = NO.

But as a usable item bought with ingame money_ Sure.
Insta-cool would be a nifty item to run on fast overheating weapons, or for keeping you in a fight longer.

I'm with Nitris on this one 100%. Hawken has been marketed as a free-to-play game, and I'm hoping it'll be a refreshing breath of clean air when a game that says it's "F2P" doesn't mean, with an asterisk "*pay to win." The lowly, bought enhancements for a game are detestable.

In game currency, hell yes. Keep real-money out of it, we'll support the game by buying it, shirts, and other products to support the game and it's team.

Edited by Phobotech, September 22 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 22 2012 - 03:33 PM

Needs more watercooling systems. Upgrade maybe_
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#25 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 01:14 AM

From watching the upgrade system videos you can see and hear the people presenting them talk about specific upgrades regarding overheating.
In the vid Khang presents, "internals" are mentioned which also provide stat boosts/bonuses- on top of the skill/tech/upgrade tree bonuses.
Personally, I think it is safe to assume there would be a specific internal which helps with overheating too.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#26 ModnarSarhp

ModnarSarhp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationImperial Beach, CA

Posted September 25 2012 - 09:48 PM

Cursed NDA strikes again.

Be sure to click on the emblem below to visit our forums!

Posted Image

One of the five elements that build the Earth, o great creator of flames. The light of salvation that gives birth to life, the light of judgment that punishes evildoers. While bringing peace and stability at the same time, it also destroys the cold and dark misfortune. Fire is the name, sword is the title! Show yourself, swallow thyself, turn it into power!

#27 Broskater

Broskater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 26 2012 - 07:43 AM

More bullets in Hawken would be heavy calibre, yeah_ As weapons fire in RL they build up heat inside the barrel, anything above fifty caliber get extremely hot. If you don't stop firing, it'll spread further up the barrel and break the receiver. It only makes sense to include overheating, anti-armor bullets are fuzzy bunny huge.

#28 spicymelons

spicymelons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOC, California

Posted September 26 2012 - 11:06 AM

I like the overhat feature.

I know I wouldn't enjoy reloading.

My only gripe is that my weapons should heat up faster or cool down slower or both on the desert level.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

#29 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 26 2012 - 08:32 PM

I think overheat is already pretty crazy lol. Well over heat itself I think is perfect but the cooldown is REALLY long imo.

#30 Romally

Romally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 30 2012 - 12:43 AM

I'd like to point you to here: http://www.engineeri...tals-d_860.html

There's a difference between firing a mechanically operated weapon vs operating a gigantic mechanical robot with mounted projectile weapons. For one, the 50 cal doesn't even compare to a minigun. If you've ever seen on fired during the night, the minigun will turn bright red, which is a hot enough temperature to warp the metal, especially with a spinning velocity that a minigun has.

You want to talk about realism, lets talk about realism here. You take a Humvee with a mounted 50 cal turret system. You're looking at running the thing on gas or diesel. This means the engine's operating temperature will be roughly 150-280 degrees F. If you don't have coolant, the engine will easily overheat to about 1000+ degrees F before the pistons become fused to the metal housing from friction welding (Which by the way is a really cool fuzzy bunny welding process).

Now lets take a giant mechanical robot. In order to even power this thing, most likely it is going to need a giant nuclear reactor system within the core. On top of that, it will have to be lead lined to prevent any radioactive leaking onto the pilot while he is alive. God knows we don't want a glowstick piloting a robot. Now, this nuclear power plant inside this mech would have to be MASSIVE to power and move the amount of lead and other metalic plating systems surrounding the mech to protect it from damage. This already is generating so much fuzzy bunny heat that it is supernatural. It would definitely have to be alloyed with things like thorium to increase the melting threshold and that only brings it to about 11,000 F before melting occurs, which is jack fuzzy bunny when we're talking about housing a nuclear power plant.

Now lets think about this for a minute. We're housing this gigantic power plant inside a mech that is generating this enormous amount of heat already. We also have to power projectile weapons, be they lasers, cannons, sub machine guns, etc. The sheer gigantic size of these weapons and the friction created by them retracting and projecting themselves repeatedly would most likely be enough to melt Fort Knox instantly. Having any type of real cooling system running through this mech would be absolutely fuzzy bunny pointless since one tiny piece of shrapnel could cause a leak and cause your entire mech to weld itself into a giant ingot.

Just...try not to make your head explode worrying about realism or overheating or reloading. The game is fine how it is.

Edited by Romally, September 30 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#31 Coaxill

Coaxill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWashington, United States

Posted October 03 2012 - 12:56 PM

The simple caliber of the munitions used in these gigantic cannons means that with any decent rate of fire, the combination of high-power propellant and high velocity rounds would generate an absurd amount of heat. You must also take into account that the vast majority of your mech is taken up by the cockpit and legs, meaning that a cooling system really isn't entirely practical - instead having to relegate the heat to heatsinks.

#32 Toneh-cc-

Toneh-cc-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted October 07 2012 - 03:09 AM

Overheat is fine, but I think the cooldown is also too long.  Should be a little faster so it feels like a faster reload.

#33 RudaForce

RudaForce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted October 07 2012 - 04:37 PM

I prefer overheating that reloading (in theory), because
A ) It gives something new, unlike EVERY other FPS where you reload, this one has overheating. It does the same thing, but just seems cooler; would you rather it say "OVERHEATING" after your mech fires, or the generic, "reloading."

B ) Look at the size of our mechs. Bigger than streetlights, and the heavy mechs for example have some thick armor. Shoot a wall with even the submachine gun, and you get a bullet crater the size of a MAN. Fully auto fire of a gun like this is going to generate heat, even with some advanced cooling.
I prefer overheating to reloading, but believe it should be 10% slower to overheat.

Edited by RudaForce, October 07 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

"I don't have a favourite quote."

#34 BeatleBlack

BeatleBlack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 06:52 PM

Weapons with really slow refire rates should generate little heat so faster fire rates = more heat. Lobbing ordinance should have reload animations and generat litttle heat. While missles on the other hand should add considerable heat. its all about balance. What I really want to see is a ton of weapon variety something to deniately break the battletech mold - thats another thread though :)
  I get that you're asking if the overheat period should change to a reload period but i dont think thats nessesary.

Edited by BeatleBlack, October 07 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#35 Shadow_AquilaX

Shadow_AquilaX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 11:44 PM

I think reloading and ammo count would fit in better with this game. But not to the point where you would run out of too quickly. Perhaps those rejuvenating balls could replenish a little ammo as well as health. OR a random ammo pack dropping somewhere on the map, forcing ppl to fight for it!!! LOL I tickle myself sometimes... But that's just me, I still like it the way it is though.

#36 Shotgun_Samurai

Shotgun_Samurai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 06 2012 - 01:54 PM

Heating makes sense, it's easier to reload machines between missions than during a fire fight(just take awhile to thing about logistics for reloading a mech cannon),so heat...
rounds going down a barrel causes friction, friction causes heat, constant application of friction causes constant heat gain, eventually heat will be more than barrel materials can handle, barrel melts, so to prevent all this you put in safeguards (shutting down the weapons) and give the pilot a way to monitor heat build up so they can keep track of their guns in a fight. On top of that, even before the barrel fails in spectacular ways, accuracy and unintentional firing of rounds (set off by the heat build up) can occur as well. Friction is your biggest worry on the heat build up usually.

#37 ProphetZ

ProphetZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 01:29 AM

BOTH, sort of.

I think overheating is essential:  Big guns overheat and big gear runs hot when you push it too hard.  Overheating has been used well in other vehicle combat games.  But most games don't make you reload AND cooldown.

So it comes down to terminology.  A laser shouldn't require constant reloading, but it would probably need to stop firing and cool off once in a while.  A rotating chaingun shouldn't overheat too badly, else why bother with multiple barrels_

So Rounds-Per-Second (lasers would be very high) VS max ammo VS reload/cooldown.

#38 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:49 PM

It occurs to me that the weapons in this game might not be the conventional metal tube launchers we're familiar with. If they were, how would the heat cannon make sense_ The infinite ammo thing is also suspicious. Perhaps it is not the firing of the weapon that is overheating it, but the constant magical physics breaking ammo production. Perhaps some complex sun level fusion powered shell creation process is going on in there.

Edited by Silk_Sk, November 08 2012 - 08:50 PM.

Posted Image

#39 Azdeath

Azdeath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationevery where

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:48 AM

i like how the game has it already but realy fireing one puts both on cool down_______
is the only thing id change
azdeath is my name and its from d&d (i get az death alot its pronounced az,deth not death

#40 Shotgun_Samurai

Shotgun_Samurai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:20 AM

^ what he said

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users