HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Steam_

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Hawken be distributed through steam_ (574 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hawken be distributed through steam_

1. Yes (477 votes [84.72%])

Percentage of vote: 84.72%

2. No (86 votes [15.28%])

Percentage of vote: 15.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 psych0black

psych0black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationchozo

Posted September 03 2011 - 02:59 PM

Well the title says it all. Should Hawken once finished be distributed through steam_ Personally I think its ideal since the majority of PC Consumers are either using its digital distribution service or its community features or both. Indie developers and major publishers alike have had allot of success in selling their games there and its a safe and simple process for people who think internet transactions are often sketchy. Steam helps in many other ways as digital distribution cuts the need for money to be spent on retail manufacturing of CD's and other financial elements with shipment.

So what does the community think. Should Hawken be on steam_

#2 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted September 03 2011 - 05:59 PM

I vote down on Steam mainly because I don't want to split that PC player base even more. Would always prefer a hard release or some kind of way to meld the servers if downloading through peripheral software is unavoidable.

#3 Eck

Eck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted September 03 2011 - 07:06 PM

TheDubstepDisciple said:

I vote down on Steam mainly because I don't want to split that PC player base even more. Would always prefer a hard release or some kind of way to meld the servers if downloading through peripheral software is unavoidable.

I don't really see how Steam(if Hawken is steam exclusive) would split the PC community. Steam would help promote Hawken if anything___.

That does raise some questions though about their attack plan for PC multiplayer.
Posted Image

#4 wazups2x

wazups2x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted September 03 2011 - 08:52 PM

TheDubstepDisciple said:

Wait, I don't get it_ How exactly would Steam split the PC player base_ If anything it brings more people together.
Posted Image

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 04 2011 - 01:22 PM

IMO, Steam is a great online distribution and multiplayer platform.

Upon a time, the servers go down for a while, yes; but besides this I think it's an excellent platform from the developer and also the end-user points of view and gaming experience.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#6 psych0black

psych0black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationchozo

Posted September 05 2011 - 10:57 PM

The_Silencer said:

IMO, Steam is a great online distribution and multiplayer platform.

Upon a time, the servers go down for a while, yes; but besides this I think it's an excellent platform from the developer and also the end-user points of view and gaming experience.

I agree fully!

#7 Martok

Martok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 09:06 PM

I sincerely hope not. I am not a fan of steam at all.

#8 KamakazeChickn

KamakazeChickn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 06:59 PM

There would be nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Currently this is how Tribes: Ascend is working. You can either download the game from their site or go through Steam. Steam doesn't limit players to only playing with other people from Steam. There would just be a big boost in new people taking a look at the game who would have otherwise not been exposed to it in the first place.

#9 Commadore_Bob

Commadore_Bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted September 16 2012 - 07:09 PM

If Steam is an "in addition to" option, I see no problem with it.

#10 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted September 16 2012 - 07:48 PM

It either has to be steam, or no steam. Reason: PATCHES! Steam patches have to be approved, and then rolled out to server and clients SIMULTANEOUSLY  This requires a huge amount of work, and time. And if something is game breaking, means waiting with a broken game until it gets a green light. I say no to steam, because it splits the player base base on patches servers are running. This has already been asked several times as well. Please, stop asking it -.-
Fanboys beware: From now on if you start doing it I will ignore the post. Fanboyism ruins conversations the same way religion, science, and politics due. We're here to fawn over hawken, not other things.

#11 MoreStatik

MoreStatik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 08:03 PM

Steam would be a great way to distribute, would definitely attract more attention to the game. Well, more than it already has. It would be great if it was on Steam, and if it wasn't I wouldn't complain. I would just add it as a non-steam game so I can keep the steam overlay and in my library.

#12 CharlieCroker

CharlieCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 11:10 PM

I would like to be available on steam but not steamworks. Steamworks gets on my nerves a little with games that seem multiplayer focused. If I can't get it on steam though, I just hope the overlay works ingame so I can still have some semblance of social interaction as I get absorbed more and more into Hawken

Posted Image

#13 Spazz

Spazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted September 17 2012 - 08:36 AM

I vote for Steam. I own about 200 games, maybe more on Steam I never have any issues with any of the multiplayer games I play on it. Beside, you would be exposing your game to over 25 million users.

#14 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 17 2012 - 09:51 AM

In my opinion, the community that can come with steam may not be the best. Although I understand the attraction for a larger audience.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#15 WARLOCK

WARLOCK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 17 2012 - 10:54 AM

I would definitelly like this on steam.

#16 Vulture

Vulture

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted September 17 2012 - 11:33 AM

I vote for steam.
\\ Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz \\ MSI Z77MA-G45 \\ 8GB DDR3 1600MHz \\
\\ XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB DDR5 \\ 750GB + 1TB \\

#17 Ayr

Ayr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted September 17 2012 - 01:11 PM

Steam is a must for games these days, it makes it extremely easy to download and update things, as well as keeping you and your steam friends in touch during gaming. Do want steam hawken.

#18 Bruallord

Bruallord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 17 2012 - 01:16 PM

I would vote it to be on Steam but not requiring it. As for updates, it would be like Tribes:Ascend.  In that Steam wouldn't update the game but Hawken itself would be doing the updating.

#19 KnightWing

KnightWing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted September 17 2012 - 02:41 PM

I def think it should go to steam. It would be ideal. Make it easy for people to download it and maintain any patches as well as promote the game. I own most of my games through steam and I just love having everything in one central place.

#20 SmaCkexe

SmaCkexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted September 17 2012 - 02:57 PM

Guys ... Steam wont be needed.  Think League of Legends and its 40+ Million world wide players.   This game needs to be stand alone so it can grow and adapt quickly for its community.   Steam is a terrible idea ... unless your goal is less than 1 million players.   This game needs to be shooting for League of Legends numbers ... not Steam numbers.   I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised with what they have in store.

EDIT*  Games that require regular updating are a nightmare on Steam.  This game is going to need daily patching at first and then consistent weekly patching just like an MMO or MOBA.  Steam is a bad idea.  

I might add... I love STEAM!  SOOOOOO MANY GAMES ON IT!

Edited by SmaCkexe, September 17 2012 - 02:58 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users