HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Favorite flavor of mech

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite flavor (388 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite flavor

1. Walkers(Star Wars ATST) (65 votes [17.38%])

Percentage of vote: 17.38%

2. Humanoid(Gundam style giant robots) (63 votes [16.84%])

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

3. Battle Armors(Mechwarrior Elementals) (93 votes [24.87%])

Percentage of vote: 24.87%

4. Other(Please explain) (27 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. All(Mechaphiliac) (88 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

6. None, my greatest hope for Hawken is that they replace all the mechs in the game with talking furniture. (38 votes [10.16%])

Percentage of vote: 10.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 SutibanTanuke

SutibanTanuke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostGloryElron, on February 16 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Ok, I love all mechs, but for the reason some people like Mountain Dew over Mello Yellow (as it should be.) I like them for different reasons. Yeah the mechs you see in Evangelion, Gundam, Voltron, Zone of the Enders, or any other humanoid thing aren't realistic parse', but they do evoke the imagination of what robots could be like someday. We have no idea the sophisticated machinery of 500 years from now. Likewise, I like the Hawken type mechs because they represent what's possible now. The war-machines of today, if you will. I love em all, but that's just me. If you want the mech that meets gundam and hawken, check the greatest mecha show ever: THE BIG O! SHOOOOOOOWWWWTIMMMMME!
We all wish we could "negotiate" like Roger Smith. Flash Gordon-esque opening included.

#102 GloryElron

GloryElron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIllal, apartment 2B, sentium.

Posted February 16 2013 - 09:48 PM

Someone gets it! "We have come to terms."
"The best way to deal with a troublesome teammate is to point that awesome TOW launcher, pull the trigger, and "accidentally" hit the detonator to early...We've all been there."

#103 idolische

idolische

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 01:38 AM

Burned metal, peppered and shredded proper.

SW robots have a cardboard flavour, Gundams are cheap plastic, battlesuits are ok (but all that Battletech is too fantasy-like).

Hawken mecha are what we need. These look fitting in Hawken universe, not like "there should be mecha because it's cool".

#104 SpaceCake

SpaceCake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted February 20 2013 - 03:37 PM

The walking weapons platform type. Mechwarrior-esque stuff. The gundam style things with bright colors, swords and guns held by mechanical hands are for silly people.

I'm biased, I loved mechwarrior ever since I was 5 years old.

#105 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted February 20 2013 - 04:33 PM

My interest in mechs lies in the creative and complex mechanical design. Not a fan of Gundam. I personally find that the more humanoid the mech design is, the less interesting and creative it is. I find people boring. I want fantastic mechanical behemoths, not metal people. As a result, the B class mech designs in HAWKEN are my least favourite.

#106 Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKokoto Village

Posted February 20 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostD20Face, on February 13 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

Simple, answer the question. Are you a man or do you enjoy Gundam_

Walkers are damn sexy. Tanks on legs man, tanks on legs.

I personally hate the Gundam Style humanoid mechs. Giant humanoid mechs are fine so long as they remain slow and heavy. That means none of that martial arts bullcrap you see in those weeaboo robot cartoons. Nimbleness is not a quality mechs should have. Fast, sure, mobile, sure, nimble, no.

Battle armors are fine, so long as they stay small enough to feel like armor and not weeb robots.

Everyone is entitled to their own style. There's no reason to bash on other's tastes. Although I agree with you that Gundam is maybe a little over the top, I do enjoy the Armored Core style of mechs with the shoulder mounted weapons and more fast paced fighting. Although unreasonable in terms of gaming, my favorite "mechs" are the Evangelion series.
"Thousands of people die everyday, but you put one dead body in the middle of a busy street and it makes people crazy! You can smell the fear." -Phone Booth (2002)

#107 Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKokoto Village

Posted February 20 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostSutibanTanuke, on February 16 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

View PostGloryElron, on February 16 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

If you want the mech that meets gundam and hawken, check the greatest mecha show ever: THE BIG O! SHOOOOOOOWWWWTIMMMMME!
We all wish we could "negotiate" like Roger Smith. Flash Gordon-esque opening included.

Thank you. Just, thank you.
"Thousands of people die everyday, but you put one dead body in the middle of a busy street and it makes people crazy! You can smell the fear." -Phone Booth (2002)

#108 Hollow_Knight

Hollow_Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 05:25 AM

Oh talking furniture for sure.

I must say, I'm loving Hawken's particular brand of mech design.  It's much more functional-looking that most games and thanks to the awesome graphics engine the mechs really look like something you might see 20-30 years down the line.

Still difficult to put my finger on what sort of mech is my favourite, probably the armoured core approach: very humanoid style mechs but with an appreciation of the fact that they are still machines and don't have to look TOO human.

#109 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted February 22 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostSutibanTanuke, on February 16 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

View PostXuande, on January 18 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

If you got somethin' against my beloved Robotech good sir, them those be fightin' words!
Macross good sir, it's MACROSS.

As for me, I always enjoyed the heavily realistic mech design depicted in Square Enix's Front mission series, while more humanoid then Hawken's designs, a similar design philosophy is quite apparent. Especially when the tallest mechs barely reach only rarely around 2 stories high. and in many cases are outclassed by a battalion of main battle tanks. another fun thing noted is the fact many mech designs sport wide or long feet with bulky and heavily reinforced legs, short mechanical arms, Wide torsos and minimalist head cameras, only a select few taking advantage of binocular vision. the designs are excellent in taking in account of the square cube law.
Posted Image Posted Image

View PostSutibanTanuke, on February 16 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

View PostXuande, on January 18 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

If you got somethin' against my beloved Robotech good sir, them those be fightin' words!
Macross good sir, it's MACROSS.

As for me, I always enjoyed the heavily realistic mech design depicted in Square Enix's Front mission series, while more humanoid then Hawken's designs, a similar design philosophy is quite apparent. Especially when the tallest mechs barely reach only rarely around 2 stories high. and in many cases are outclassed by a battalion of main battle tanks. another fun thing noted is the fact many mech designs sport wide or long feet with bulky and heavily reinforced legs, short mechanical arms, Wide torsos and minimalist head cameras, only a select few taking advantage of binocular vision. the designs are excellent in taking in account of the square cube law.
Posted Image Posted Image

NO! ROBOTECH, my fine chap. Robotech.
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#110 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 04:05 PM

"Other"

Read as: VOTOMS, Heavy Gear, Nightmare Frame.

Humanoid
~5m tall, fast, dual drive systems (legs and rollers/treads)
Single pilot,
Stupid lots of guns, both hand held and hard mounted.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#111 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted March 03 2013 - 03:46 AM

I really just like any kind of mecha, because I like different ones for different reasons. I think my favorites are the ACs from Armored Core 1-3. They obviously mostly follow the rule of cool, but still seem at least somewhat feasible as the weapons platform of choice for a high-tech enough society, especially with the modularity of the whole mech.

For more power armor style mecha, I like Masamune Shirow's designs a lot. The Landmates from Appleseed and the Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell are really cool. He also puts a lot of though into how they would actually function, instead of just focusing on making them look cool. They are also much more tactical in their use, since in both Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell they are primarily used by police forces instead of being military machines.

And as much fun as having your mech be an unkillable juggernaught, I also like the idea of smaller, more agile designs like Heavy Gear. Gears are the king of the battlefield due to their high mobility and versatility instead of their firepower. This makes them more effective than tanks in most situations, even though they are not nearly as heavily armed or armored.

And even super robot style mecha can be cool, mostly for the sheer ridiculous awesomeness. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of my favorite animes, and the mechs in it are basically powered by believing in your self, but Gainax really managed to pull it off. And besides, who would say no to piloting a mech that uses a giant drill as its main weapon_
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users