HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

like the game...but size matters

Fansite

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 veradosa

veradosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 12:57 AM

Is it just me or is there no real feeling off being in a massive mech..the game needs, something to give it a sense of being in a oversized killing machine.
Can we have some small things to kill...in mech commander they had those pain in the..tiny soldiers .and they gave you a real feeling of being huge,say if one team holds a part of the map for too long and is winning....the little fellas come and help...or if you shoot too many of the buldings the tiny  people rebel and fight you, this would also be agood idea if your waiting for more players to join...shoot some buildings and have a fight,tiny tanks  appear etc..

#2 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 21 2012 - 01:36 AM

Turrets_ BTW, you can push around and destroy lightpoles and vehicles scattered around maps

Mechs aren't really that big, they're maybe 3-4 floors high

Edited by ArnieF4440, December 21 2012 - 01:37 AM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 06:09 PM

these are not the gigantic Mechs that you think they are, yes they are large and destructive but not gigantic. I could tell you something about little people, but I can't without breaking NDA (wink, wink, nudge nudge :o ) (please don't get angry at me devs :( )

Edited by Samiam, December 22 2012 - 07:19 AM.

Have fun, be safe, good hunting, and may the best Mech Pilot win

#4 Bratwurst

Bratwurst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationHamster powered mech.

Posted December 21 2012 - 10:58 PM

In military terms, "Infantry sized" mechs like the ones in Hawken are practical, they are not that big of a target compared to most scifi mecha genres, where you go around striking a pose in a gigantic gigantour, practically painting a bullseye on it saying "HEY! OVER HERE!"
Posted Image

#5 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted December 21 2012 - 11:29 PM

3 to 4 floors high___ Maybe 2 and a 1/2 looking in the garage with the little guy next to the mech. Why am I the only one mentioning that it seems impossible to fit a grown man into these A and B classes_

Posted Image

#6 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted December 22 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostDeu, on December 21 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

3 to 4 floors high___ Maybe 2 and a 1/2 looking in the garage with the little guy next to the mech. Why am I the only one mentioning that it seems impossible to fit a grown man into these A and B classes_

D: They must be using children! The scumbags!

(The size does seem a little off. I'll agree that a sense of scale is a bit hard to feel in a match. I don't focus on it though, I'm usually distracted by things killing me. Softly. With their love... :ph34r:)

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#7 shiz

shiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 08:50 AM

The scale of the mech's look fine to me. Maybe you are just 'big-boned'_ I like them 'infantry-sized', seems more realistic(if there's such a thing in a sci-fi game). :3

Edited by shiz, December 22 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#8 M3KKA

M3KKA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted January 28 2013 - 12:28 AM

I prefer this scale over the Super Robot sizes seen in most anime... Although im not sure how pilots fit in or see out of the mechs some times.
Posted Image

#9 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 29 2013 - 04:13 AM

The smallest ones(A-class) are nearly 3.60 meters high, while the biggest ones(C-clas) are between 5.40 and 5.80 meters high.

#10 Sadukar

Sadukar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted January 29 2013 - 08:37 PM

I think this aproach is much more realistic than the Mechworrior one, where mechs are HUUUGE, I really think this is the way mechs could really be, but it is a matter of taste.
If you do not see this signature don't worry it is not really invisible, its infiltrating, look closely and you might see some distorsion,

#11 RedSamovary

RedSamovary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yup Mechwarrior...  between 20 and 30 feet high and 50 to 100 tons... HEAVY... But like they said, i like the more realistic height of hawken, more like a battle armor than a mecha... Just my opinion.

#12 DoctorSprocket

DoctorSprocket

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:53 AM

It's because of the angle you usually view them from. Because the person is closer it makes them look bigger. A fully grown man would be able to fit in the same way a fighter pilot in a jet would. Though it should be noted that fighter pilots are often short because the cockpits are designed to be a smaller size due to the fact that smaller is harder to hit and if you increased the size you'd probably have to increase everything proportionally to keep it stable. A tall person might feel uncomfortable or maybe not fit in an A class mech, they also may not be allowed to pilot that kind of Mech due to his/her dimensions much like there is if you wanted to pilot an f-22.

Edited by DoctorSprocket, February 26 2013 - 01:57 AM.

#13 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted February 26 2013 - 11:38 AM

They did have those little people made up and the admins can spawn them. But they are not included in the game for the reason of the ESBR rating. If they added them the game would be rated M instead of T and would not be as accessible from a streaming standpoint and etc.

#14 TheLostVikings

TheLostVikings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:58 PM

If you want a better feel for the size of the mechs try redoing the training mission. At the very beginning of the mission, before you even exit the garage, there is a guy sitting on top of a mech. (an unreleased mech at that, one of the coolest designs imho)

It's on the right hand side, just before you exit the garage.

#15 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted February 27 2013 - 06:15 PM

Size isn't everything, even in games like MWO (and esp. Hawken...)

Edited by NBShoot_me, February 27 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#16 TJ

TJ

Former Lead Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationHAWKEN HQ

Posted March 03 2013 - 03:36 PM

The little guys running around the map were awesome for scale and immersion. Pretty much the only thing that made me go WOW this mech is huge. If there we could work past rating issues, I'd be all for adding that stuff back.
email me if you need some dev love <3 | Poor performance_ Send me specs, I try fix for you!!

#17 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 08:53 PM

weird that you can literally blow peoples heads off, and show what's left of their pink neck
in Blacklight:Retribution (Free Online FPS), but having some little people run around in a
dystopian landscape would make the censors frown...

well here's to hoping...
also wondered if having the tractor-trailers and other vehicles in the game actually
jackknife and their wheels jiggle, to lend to the effect of size,
and not just appear to be solid statue like objects...

(OMGOSH THERE'S SPELL CHECK NOW THANK YOU HAWKEN....!!!!!)

#18 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Post[HWK]TJ, on March 03 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

The little guys running around the map were awesome for scale and immersion. Pretty much the only thing that made me go WOW this mech is huge. If there we could work past rating issues, I'd be all for adding that stuff back.

Hmm.. it's not like you could splatter them all over the environment like in Carmageddon.. could you_

#19 SutibanTanuke

SutibanTanuke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 12:19 AM

you could perhaps just use them as set plain set pieces instead of destructible ones. Kinda like how in Bethesda games how you cant kill children that appear in the game. For example a camp of onlookers enjoying the show in bazaar, or some radar crew set up on one of the roofs or crannies in Prosk.

Edited by SutibanTanuke, March 06 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#20 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted March 09 2013 - 03:44 PM

Waah I really hope you guys will find a way to put them back in the game ! That would be more than awesome !
Some allies/troops like in the training mission and garage inside start bases (MA / Siege),
id' love to see a guy on the base entrance waving some torchs like on carrier / airfield, sayin "go go go pilots" when you spawn.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fansite

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users