HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

CAN YOUR RIG RUN IT_(A.K.47 "Can I play the game_")(UPDATED, ISSUE WITH XP AND DX)

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted February 27 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yes the great question that has been sown throughout the forums is now here to rest for eternity in a come to learn post much like my engine thread. CHOO CHOO!So the game runs on the unreal engine, which has lower end PCs in mind. But what's a low end PC by todays standards_ How does the unreal engine work_ Where is a picture of cereal guy when you need him_ And why can't I be serious after work, tequila, and midnight_ Because I'm that awesome.
How the game kind of works(Or the you can skip this part... part.)
Now to understand what's going on under the hood you can read my engine thread, or this one. This one is for the less Game Engine Savvy. Let's break down how unreal engine works. First virtualization. Then scripting. Then acceleration. Now the unreal engine is an engine defined entirely in machine code, that can understand and interpret scripts in unreal script at an incredible rate(99% machine rate! That's almost as fast as if the script was compiled!). This means it reads in commands, and runs it based on a set of interpreted instructions, much like you reading a book describing how to tie a shoe. Now it can do one of two things, it can do everything(including drawing the graphics) all in CPU at terrible resolution, color, and resolution, like it did back when 3D capable graphics cards weren't in all PCs, or it can run it with the assistance of geometric and color shaded processors(a GPU or graphics card in layman terms). The first one worked well, but it looked terrible.
However with todays Windows Vista and Windows7 requirements, a 3D capable GPU is REQUIRED. So the unreal engine no longer needs to virtually compute any of the graphics on the CPU. It can now push the graphics onto the GPU and continue on with the Scripting. The scripting is what takes up the CPU. It reads in a script command, and then looks at it's reference and decides how it should take that command and turn it into an action. Like you reading that book on tying shoes. You read the text, look at the pictures, and make your shoes look the same. The engine does the same thing with the scripts. It reads it. Then it looks at it's handy picture of how to do a command. It then makes the screen look like the command picture says it should. Lastly it can go onto Acceleration.
Now a CPU can computer what a color should look like, and what point in the vector is the starting point(that's math for a line or line segment with direction[north by north-east and such], and magnitude[distance basically]). It takes a long time to do this math though, as it then has to look at other scripts, and other command pictures, and try as hard as it can to do something it doesn't really know how to do. It can do math, but DANG CPUs suck at drawing. So instead with todays PCs it says "Hey graphics card, draw this for me_ Because I suck, but he wants to see a picture." And the Graphics Card replies with "Sure, no problemo holmes." So how does a graphics card do that so much faster_ It's got a big old set of commands that tell it how to draw. It sucks at math(well certain types, it can't do calculus, but it can do geometry really well), but it's really good at drawing lines and thinking all artistic like. So the CPU lets the GPU draw the picture faster, and better, than it can. Thusly accelerating the process. It's like you, reading that To Tie a Mockingshoe book, and having to look into another book to understand what each part of the picture of the commands means, or just being able to yell for mommy and have her tie it for you(man I miss those days  :cry:)
Now that's all done with, you can play the game itself! But wait, how powerful does my PC have to be to be able to do all this in a timely manner that I can play it easily_ Well I can tell you! Well yeah I could, but it's a lot easier to post lists and ranges of parts that will be able to run the game itself anyways.So here's a list. No pictures, sorry. I suck at drawing XP
YOUR PC MUST BE THIS GOOD TO RUN THE GAME(Guaranteed anyways)(Also known as jump to this part)
While you could run it on a lower card, with the latest updates to the UDK engine there is no guarantee. A good test is to see if you can run the tribes beta. If that works at a decent frame rate, you *should* be okay.
Windows Vista or Windows 7.
A recent issue with windows XP has been found, rendering D3D almost useless in modern games due to smoke processing and the inability to tessalate in DX9-11. If you are on Win XP 64 bit, it MIGHT work at stable frame rates. If not, time to upgrade old boy.
CPU:
Dual Core 2.4 GHz or faster, or a Quad Core 2 GHz or faster
CPU with IGP:
Dual core 2.8 GHz or faster second gen Intel or AMD
Quad core 2.5 GHz or faster second gen Intel or AMD
RAM(Memory):
3 Gigs or more
Hard Drive space:
As much as needed to install the game.
Graphics Card:
Most 3D cards paired with a good CPU should be able to run the game.
Intel:
Any second generation card should be able to run it on the LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS
Intel CPU i5 series with IGP
Intel CPU i3 series with IGP
AMD/ATI Radeon series 6550 or better with 256 MB ram
Nvidia 450 or better
So these are great jumping points that should be able to run the game. Don't believe me_ The following is a review of the Intel IGP running Batman:AS http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901/4
So with this new understanding, a knowledge of what you need to play the game, I look forward to playing it against you guys on the battlefield.
Interesting and funny side notes: No I'm not drunk. I'm just tired as HECK.
It wanted to change it to fuzzy bunny(what's with my auto correct_ mmm fuzzy bunny. Interesting birds.)
When I'm tired I like to ramble
Intels second Gen i processors are AWESOME
AMD makes better graphics cards for the money
Graphics cards are like waves, coming and going as the latest and greatest. No one brand is greater than the other.
fuzzy bunny. Lol
.And no, you can't play the game because you lost it.
The above line has an easter egg.
Edits and revisions:
correcting some model mistakes, added a performance disclaimer.
Added disclaimer about windows XP

Edited by skatcat31, September 21 2012 - 01:52 AM.

Fanboys beware: From now on if you start doing it I will ignore the post. Fanboyism ruins conversations the same way religion, science, and politics due. We're here to fawn over hawken, not other things.

#2 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted March 01 2012 - 07:04 PM

Wow that above line REALLY became an Easter egg o.o
Fanboys beware: From now on if you start doing it I will ignore the post. Fanboyism ruins conversations the same way religion, science, and politics due. We're here to fawn over hawken, not other things.

#3 BrainBox

BrainBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationEverywhere and nowhere.

Posted March 01 2012 - 07:07 PM

I need to upgrade according to your system requirements then...

Which should I get, four more gigs of RAM (From an original four to a grand total of eight gigs), or a new GPU_ My 5570 is getting kinda... well, its already outdated.
"Of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing can ever be made."
-Immanuel Kant

#4 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted March 02 2012 - 01:23 AM

Yeah upgrade the graphics if you do. You could test it fine during beta, but it's not guaranteed to work. It's an older card that doesn't support some of the newer render methods. Although I doubt the Hawken game uses them, it's just not guaranteed to work from my research. The 65 series was a HUGE leap from the 55 series, but not enough of one to say it's not plausible.

#5 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 01:46 AM

Upgrade both if you can afford it.
Naraklok

#6 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:37 PM

Did the forums get rolled back_

#7 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:40 PM

skatcat31 said:

Did the forums get rolled back_
Apparently. http://playhawken.co....php_f=8&t=1190
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#8 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted March 08 2012 - 10:02 AM

I can play battlefield 3 on max settings i think i should be good
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#9 Perigren

Perigren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 12:07 PM

See siggy.

I can run MW:LL all on high settings and not drop below 35fps.
Phenom II x6 1090T BE, OC @ 3.8 Ghz
ASUS M4A89TD PRO Motherboard 8GB DDR3 1333
MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC, 2x 21.5" LED monitors
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 full ATX case
WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA III
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

#10 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted March 08 2012 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the bump guys. And DUR_

#11 Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted March 08 2012 - 09:09 PM

ThinkTank said:

Which should I get, four more gigs of RAM (From an original four to a grand total of eight gigs), or a new GPU_ My 5570 is getting kinda... well, its already outdated.
Definitely the gpu, but really, ram is so darn cheap, 4gigs for $20~ on newegg. Just don't eat for a day or two. :-)
Landscape Architecture Portfolio - http://www.gheridsmick.com
"Vitor's BJJ is like the nucleus of an atom; people say it exists but, no one has actually seen it."
"I don't believe in psychology, I believe in good moves." Bobby Fisher.
"Do nothing from selfishness or empty coneit, but with humility of mind regard others as more important than yourself." Philippians 2:3

#12 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted March 09 2012 - 06:23 AM

or just live on ramen like i do :D
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 10 2012 - 12:03 PM

Gherid_lacksGPS said:

ThinkTank said:

Definitely the gpu, but really, ram is so darn cheap, 4gigs for $20~ on newegg. Just don't eat for a day or two. :-)

That's true. Fortunately, RAM is cheap. So if you don't have to upgrade your MOBO ( MOtherBOard) and your CPU/s and/or your GPU then fine for you. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#14 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted March 11 2012 - 09:31 AM

The stats were created with 98% of the processors out there in mind, so it goes back to core 2 duos. The biggest bottle neck right now is the GPU.

#15 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 11:27 AM

Awesome! Looks like both my laptop and desktop will have no issues running this!

Posted Image

#16 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted March 12 2012 - 01:28 PM

Keji Goto said:

Awesome! Looks like both my laptop and desktop will have no issues running this!
What type of laptop do you have_

#17 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 12 2012 - 01:38 PM

Remember that you always have the Fifth Amendment. of the US Constitution.

I mean, in case this applies now... you know.  :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#18 Craig

Craig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted March 15 2012 - 02:53 PM

PC bought.  :geek:

I am now free to fight.
- Craig

#19 Adelphos

Adelphos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 09:57 AM

Intel Quad Core i5 2500k clocked at 3.3 GHz.
16 GB DDR3 1833 MHz Ram.
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 570
             Dedicated Memory: 1248 MB
    Running a Dual-Monitor Setup

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
120GB Intel SSD, 1 TB WD 7200 RPM HDD.

And soon: NVidia 3D Vision 2

#20 steveroger

steveroger

• Members