HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Who else refuses to play Siege Mode_

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Siege Mode (277 member(s) have cast votes)

Who else here won't play SM_

1. Me (71 votes [25.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.63%

2. Still sieging (206 votes [74.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 02 2013 - 06:08 PM

I just asks for precision. There's a lot of nuances between BurnsHot's "The devs said its fixed", AJK's "the devs said its broken", Beeman's "the devs understand it's broken", your "the game's not perfect" and the devs actually saying they're workin on it. All of this in a poll with a pretty explicit title. One could think only hardcore sadomasochists would involve time and money on a game like that. :D

#122 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted June 02 2013 - 06:57 PM

One could argue hoping for a perfectly-executed game, particularly in beta, is a masochistic exercise.

The issues are clearly laid out: the uneven importance of EU gathering versus holding the AA, map balance, and the ability to make the game near infinite by mutual camping. Some people disagree on certain points, namely map balance and infinite camping, but it's the core EU vs AA disparity that's key.

One team sits at the AA and, occasionally, sends one out to return EU. Another team runs EU and occasionally fights for AA. Given equal skill, the team that camps the AA always wins. That's why you will often see people blowing up in chat about their team not going for the AA

The devs, as best I'm aware, have not acknowledged specific issues but rather broad acknowledgement that it isn't perfect. In the Cockpit interview, the dev stated (paraphrased), "We're working on it."

#123 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 02 2013 - 07:25 PM

Posted Image is awesome !! but its bo for noobs !

Posted Image

#124 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted June 02 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostFussyBadger, on June 02 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

One team sits at the AA and, occasionally, sends one out to return EU. Another team runs EU and occasionally fights for AA. Given equal skill, and assuming the enemy team doesn't just blow up the BS forever the team that camps the AA always wins. That's why you will often see people blowing up in chat about their team not going for the AA
FYP
Nobody has to lose Siege ever under the current ruleset. Unlike TDM where both teams have to agree not to fight, fights at the enemy base are so one-sided that any balanced match carries the possibility of the losing team deciding to keep a stalemate going until one team gives up and quits
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#125 OmniStone

OmniStone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted June 03 2013 - 02:57 AM

I don't normally play siege(I have been playing a bit since they added achieves), but today I played pehaps the best game of siege I have ever been a part of. The match lasted so long, somebody on the other team had 77 kills... lol. While the base armor wasn't very close at the end of our victory, the match was neck and neck for quite some time. It was just one of those teams that communicated very well, was always doing exactly what they should be doing. Siege can be quite fun when you are on a team with people who know what to do. Sure, the gametype is broken at the moment, but it has potential and I hope they will fix it someday. The match gave me some hope that siege can become viable sometime down the road.

#126 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 03 2013 - 03:29 AM

FussyBadger, one could say SM gameplay left him with the hands tied. That would be a bad joke.

#127 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted June 03 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostBeemann, on June 02 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Nobody has to lose Siege ever under the current ruleset.
Yeah, I stated that initially. My example was geared towards someone new to Siege to answer the question of why AA is considered more important than EU gathering. The coordination required to extend a match infinitely is remarkably rare in lower ranked pub matches. I'm ~1950 so I'm not seeing the best of the best - maybe it's commonplace up higher.

I've played a lot of Siege in middling ranks and I've never seen a team camp base and shoot down every battleship. (I believe it can be done.) In contrast, there's constant demand to get the AA which, for someone new, might be confusing considering the clear XP incentive for EU gathering and implied equal importance between the two.

#128 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 03 2013 - 05:04 AM

From what I've played, it seems devs made lots of Pavlovian improvements for players to control AA. Control attacker and defender should ring a bell for players who wants to grind XP. You could rank first in a match even when your base is lost.

#129 Starrphy

Starrphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 10 2013 - 02:43 AM

I play siege when I can, never a game available for siege. ;s so it's MA for me.. But i like siege.
Can you become my nemesis_..

View PostArccBR, on October 14 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Yeah, you're like a legend here in the forums, a legend that everybody loves to hate, or that everybody hates to love, depending on the scenario.

#130 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted February 21 2014 - 03:49 PM

WB, Starrphy, and yes.

Siege has changed a little to be what the masses expect, so it's decent now ;)
Posted Image

#131 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on February 21 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

WB, Starrphy, and yes.

Siege has changed a little to be what the masses expect, so it's decent now ;)

Dunno if he is back.......his post is from june 10th, 2013

#132 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted February 22 2014 - 07:50 AM

Swear this was bumped by him yesterday...
Posted Image

#133 solo64

solo64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted March 11 2014 - 01:32 AM

Why would I not play it_ It's easily the funniest and most unique game mode in Hawken.

#134 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted March 11 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on February 22 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

Swear this was bumped by him yesterday...

The forum seems to do that sometimes; say there's a new post from someone but it was actually months ago.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#135 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted March 19 2014 - 03:23 PM

If you put a minimum level on anything, PLEASE, by golly, PLEASE make it Siege!!!
Perhaps a forced tutorial_
It's become unplayable after steam, too many people chasing energy when ships are in the air, shooting at ships, standing outside of the AA, and just generally NOT GETTING TO THE #@%^ AA!!!

Whenever there is a ship in the air, any ship, IMMEDIATELY GO TO THE FRIGGIN AA!!!
Stop trying to launch the ship. Stop standing outside of the AA. Get IN the colored perimeter and FIGHT.
It's not rocket science people.

Edited by FirstRaven, March 19 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#136 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 04:37 PM

This game's combat is tactical and needs a lot of practice and very good teamwork to win a team deathmatch.
Add all the siege mode complexity and noobs simply can't deal with it.

For crying out loud, they think the best way to win the game is shooting the ship.

#137 UrKungFuNoGood

UrKungFuNoGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationJust Another Lost Angyal

Posted March 20 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostPaintingbuddha, on February 10 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

siege mode is the best mode of them all I think.

I just wished EVERYONE would use a headset OR listen to the guys that have one.
This
I have noticed that since I started using my headset in this game mode, I have won almost every game. There are typically one to three games a day where the entirety of my team can completely ignore coaching. Even when you point out that "control of the AA is the only way to win this game. See how we're losing and we have not even once controlled the AA_"
Then to have to say over and over again, "you have to get INSIDE the colored box around the AA gun to control it, just killing the enemy ins't enough"
Man that gets old in some games. But some games all I have to do is report what I'm carrying, if my drop will launch, etc... Some teams get it. I've had a lot of comebacks too.
What makes Siege great is that you KNOW where to find the fight.
I suggested in a thread earlier today that I would like to see some script that keeps track of the percentage of time a game someone spends inside the AA box, averages it, and uses THAT for matchmaking.
https://community.pl...aking-criteria/

I think one of the big problems with Siege is the Level Design. There is only one perfect Siege map imo and that is Frontline. The other maps suffer from one of two problems. To get to the AA is either choked like on Origin and Wreckage, or too wide open like Last Eco.

Edited by UrKungFuNoGood, March 20 2014 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image

#138 DubbieDoo

DubbieDoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 05:38 AM

The worst thing is that instead of going in the aa area some people just stand away from the spot and try to kill them or I don't know. But what's the point if the other team will just hide behind the wall, heal and go out shoot a bit again. To take AA you actually need to do something, work with the team. Standing in one spot all game doesn't help.

#139 6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted May 12 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostSirCannonFodder, on January 04 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

I'd love to play it... if it were possible to get a match on Oceania or Asia servers.

I'm in Aus. I played siege first time last night.

Found early that there were no TDM servers with slots open and other modes were empty. One player came online in my friends list. Ok how about we DM, tech v tech for fun. Got our daily DMs. Then others came. Then we said, lets do daily coop TDM. Then we said ok, how about Siege daily. I picked up in the first minute what the point of the game was; collect EU and return it. Control the AA. Enemy got first battleship out while I figured stuff out and we were behind then we got our team on and brought it back for a good win. We only had 3v3 though.

Then TDM for daily. Now most of us had our 4 main daily win bonuses and there were enough pilots to continue. I think everyone just continued TDM as they like that mode above others, not that there is something majorly wrong with Siege. I'll keep playing it every day for the bonus and if I'm asked as other pilots need their daily after i've already done.

#140 OblivionNecroninja

OblivionNecroninja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 02:21 PM

Man, I love siege mode. Sure, of the modes I've played it seems to be the one most prone to un-fun roflstomps, but at least it's something semi-unique, as opposed to Team Deathmatch and Missile Assault (AKA: Control Points, but sometimes it drags on for a while after one team wins). Maybe it gets worse at higher levels of play.

EDIT: it could use a tutorial, though.

Edited by OblivionNecroninja, May 12 2014 - 02:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users