HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

EMP - Overpowered and out of Control!!!! or is it_

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#181 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted December 30 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 30 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

This is beta. We are supposed to talk about balance and tell the devs when something doesn't work.

And who is saying EMP doesn't work_ I just said I don't like it. The same way I don't like a lot of things of a lot of games, like dogs in WaW, for instance.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#182 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 11:47 AM

I think his point was that the EMP is so overpowered it is broken and won't work fairly in a competitive stage, when he says something doesn't work.

That's just what I think though, I might as well be as wrong as I think i'm right.
Posted Image

#183 WAVER

WAVER

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostCoot, on December 23 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostPursang, on December 23 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

I'm not going to comment as to whether the EMP needs to be nerfed or not

I will.

EMP is probably the worst mechanic I've ever seen in any FPS. .......
Already mentioned it's being reworked, and the higher tier level players don't even use it.

Bads will stay bads.

Have you ever played Mech Warrior_ Emp was almost this same, it lasted even longer. U can avoid being empd by buying batteries. Any time u use Emp, there is a big risk that ull b the empd one.  And why the hell higher levels players should not use emp_ One time, long ago I heard that using shotgun in q3 is for noobs, and advanced players should only use railgun (but only without  zoom!)  and rocket launcher. Why is that_   Emp is available in store, its not a weapon u buy for meteor points, u can buy countermeasure for it. WTF_

Edited by WAVER, December 30 2012 - 11:58 AM.

NEW ADDRESS- europeandevils.enjin.com
Posted Image

#184 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted December 30 2012 - 12:00 PM

Think a lot of people love it. POV are POV. I hate, my neighbour loves, for my wife in indifferent, etc.
PERSONALLY, I'll never use EMP, even against AJK :), because FOR ME it's somehow a noobish stuff, and I always follow the Golden Rule. But this is MY POINT OF VIEW, which is far from the Almight Truth.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#185 wintersborn

wintersborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yeah the OP is right the rest of you kids just cry to much. Your cries never end nerf after nerf wasting the devs time and destroying the game.

OP don't support this company anymore since they are only going to cave in to the so called competitive minority and drive the game into the ground within a year.

#186 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 30 2012 - 02:17 PM

View Postwintersborn, on December 30 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Yeah the OP is right the rest of you kids just cry to much. Your cries never end nerf after nerf wasting the devs time and destroying the game.

OP don't support this company anymore since they are only going to cave in to the so called competitive minority and drive the game into the ground within a year.
I'd like to see your supporting evidence.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#187 CnEY

CnEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostWAVER, on December 30 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Have you ever played Mech Warrior_ Emp was almost this same, it lasted even longer.

Have *you* ever played Mechwarrior__  AFAIK, MW has nothing nearly as imbalanced/OP as Hawken's EMP.  MW has ECM, which disables/limits radar and makes missile lock take twice as long.  It does not completely disable your weapons systems.  Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you're referring to though_

View PostWAVER, on December 30 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Emp is available in store, its not a weapon u buy for meteor points, u can buy countermeasure for it. WTF_

The fact that a countermeasure (which costs nearly as much HC as you make in an entire 15 minute match at the normal rate) has been specifically made to counteract EMP, and is the *only* viable way of counteracting it, is itself the problem.

I've seen plenty of skilled and honest players who do just fine without EMP.  The very nature of what Hawken's EMP does gives it the appearance of a crutch, and tends to strongly imply that the user would not have been able to score the kill legitimately without the ~7 seconds of free time to wail on their unarmed opponent.

#188 Abyss112

Abyss112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 30 2012 - 04:26 PM

Once I know that someone has an emp, I try to adjust to that and play accordingly. If you engage that player with a bit more range, then hitting you becomes less likely and your retreat options for that 7 seconds are alot better.

The emp adds alot of flavour and challenge to Hawken. Fight with your heads, not your mouths.
Dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge!

#189 Turtleboy

Turtleboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 30 2012 - 04:27 PM

Anything that can make you not shoot or defend yourself(without the EMP failsafe thing) is kind of OP and makes every other item seem fuzzy bunny.

#190 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 30 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostAbyss112, on December 30 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Once I know that someone has an emp, I try to adjust to that and play accordingly. If you engage that player with a bit more range, then hitting you becomes less likely and your retreat options for that 7 seconds are alot better.

The emp adds alot of flavour and challenge to Hawken. Fight with your heads, not your mouths.
Protip: any decent player will roll you in 7 seconds, and forcing a retreat in an objective based gamemode = winning
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#191 560TI

560TI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 06:41 PM

you DO know there are items that can help prevent/halt the EMP, but i see your point, it dedicates an entire slot just to stop another being used.

But you DO know the EMP isn't the speed of a average gun and you can fly and dodge.

Lets not dumb everything ranters rant about as that wouldn't be in favor of challenge & skill (a game)

#192 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 30 2012 - 06:47 PM

View Post560TI, on December 30 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

you DO know there are items that can help prevent/halt the EMP, but i see your point, it dedicates an entire slot just to stop another being used.

But you DO know the EMP isn't the speed of a average gun and you can fly and dodge.

Lets not dumb everything ranters rant about as that wouldn't be in favor of challenge & skill (a game)
You DO know that those items are only applicable once per life, are automatically used and cost enough that you can't keep using them unless you die 2 times or less per match and dont have anything else that you want to purchase_
Do you also know that the EMP has an AOE radius comparable to a small moon and that the edge of the radius still disables you for the full 7 seconds_
EMP is the easiest item/weapon to hit with in the entire game if you're willing to use it intelligently and just splash the ground.
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#193 MajorMojo

MajorMojo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationVienna, VA USA

Posted December 31 2012 - 09:09 AM

I just don't like the concept of making my opponent defenseless.  I'd rather beat them while they have a chance to fire back.

#194 Novaflare

Novaflare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTybee Island

Posted December 31 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostTwiceDead, on December 23 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Jesus fuzzy bunny christ these guys refuse to acknowledge that the EMP is a piece of fuzzy bunny that should never have existed in the first place since all it does is fuzzy bunny up everyones day functioning as an iWin button in a fast-paced mech FPS.

I greatly appreciated the "fuzzy bunny" counter measure in this post.
Posted Image

#195 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostAnimal_Man, on December 24 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

That's YOUR opinion. I'm having fun using EMPs and getting owned by EMPs. I have no problem with it at all. If you don't like it, quit playing the game.
Posted Image

Edited by Silk_Sk, January 01 2013 - 10:21 AM.

Posted Image

#196 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostFiraphex, on December 30 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Nope, i hunt C-class, i don't play it ;) (Tried it, didn't like it).
Never been a fan of the "big but powerfull"-type. But i do think they need to be harder to kill, because i when i see that huge lumbering hulk coming i expect to have to stay on my toes to make it. This is however not the case most of the time. Simply put, hunting C-class mechs would be more fun if they where harder to kill.

And yeah, maybe my idea of situational is a bit messed up. The point i wanted to make in any case was that even if the EMP can be used for almost any situation, it is not an item that can be used all the time, so one has to pick the moments. This as far as i've seen leads to a rather specific usage-pattern depending on the player. And patterns can be predicted, meaning that after a few rounds it is not impossible to get a little bit of a feel for when a certain player is going to fire that EMP.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... You mean to tell me you believe 7 seconds huge aoe disable is perfectly fine because of it's cooldown_ Um, I'm sorry but no. First of all all items have huge cooldown and secondly no matter what cooldown is on the ability, so long as its "IWIN" button.

Edited by deusex2, January 01 2013 - 01:58 PM.

CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#197 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 01:41 PM

Jesus man, trim your quotes.

#198 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 01:57 PM

Haha, sorry, was posting it through phone.
   CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#199 Patch101

Patch101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 03:10 PM

I think the EMP is a good option. The effects do last a little to long though (considering the time it takes to kill a mech on here vs say Mwo).

#200 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostPatch101, on January 01 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

I think the EMP is a good option. The effects do last a little to long though (considering the time it takes to kill a mech on here vs say Mwo).
Problem is, currently it's the ONLY option.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users