HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Weeaboo Stuff

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm bored.

Recommend me some good time sinks. Anime, japanese games that have been translated(officially or via patcher), visual novels, eroges, and manga. I'm partial to fantasy settings.

This can just become a general weeb thread so feel free to discuss whatever.

inb4 MM rage.

#2 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 06:00 PM

Go watch AnoHana, cry, and then go watch Mawaru Penguindrum to become fabulous max.

Posted Image

Then go watch Steins;Gate because reasons:

Posted Image

Then go spend 3 hours signing up for a Japanese Sega account and downloading the client for the Phantasy Star Online 2 open beta and bask in its glory while you wait for the inevitable English Patch to hit the net.

Posted Image

#3 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 06:18 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

Go watch AnoHana, cry
Been there done that.

lavalamp1138 said:

Mawaru Penguindrum
Will do

lavalamp1138 said:

Then go watch Steins;Gate because reasons:
I got through one or two episodes and didn't like it.

lavalamp1138 said:

Then go spend 3 hours signing up for a Japanese Sega account and downloading the client for the Phantasy Star Online 2 open beta and bask in its glory while you wait for the inevitable English Patch to hit the net.
Meh, I'll just wait for the english patch.

#4 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 20 2012 - 06:25 PM

Have you seen School Days_ If not I recommend that for reasons.
(/^▽^)/

#5 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 05:27 AM

What the fuck am I doing here_

lol, I mean, seriously....

*mental seizures*
*leaves thread*

#6 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 21 2012 - 07:01 AM

Mech Mechanic said:

What the fuck am I doing here_

lol, I mean, seriously....

*mental seizures*
*leaves thread*

If you don't like it dn't click on it.  :P
(/^▽^)/

#7 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 07:49 AM

Varaka said:

I've heard about it.

Should I go for the VN or animu_

#8 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 21 2012 - 08:47 AM

Arseface said:

Varaka said:

I've heard about it.

Should I go for the VN or animu_

VN isn't out in english yet.  The VN doesn't come ot till the end of June. Go for the Anime. Its going to be a bumpy ride but trust me don't stop watching it.
(/^▽^)/

#9 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 07:32 AM

lavalamp1138 said:

Mawaru Penguindrum
An... interesting thing to watch.

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, but I don't regret seeing it.

Varaka said:

VN isn't out in english yet. The VN doesn't come ot till the end of June. Go for the Anime. Its going to be a bumpy ride but trust me don't stop watching it.
Isn't the anime based on the VN_ How did the one that came out second get translated first_

Either way I guess I'll go for the animu.

#10 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 22 2012 - 03:25 PM

Arseface said:

lavalamp1138 said:

Mawaru Penguindrum
An... interesting thing to watch.

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, but I don't regret seeing it.

Varaka said:

VN isn't out in english yet. The VN doesn't come ot till the end of June. Go for the Anime. Its going to be a bumpy ride but trust me don't stop watching it.
Isn't the anime based on the VN_ How did the one that came out second get translated first_

Either way I guess I'll go for the animu.

Because a VN takes a lot longer and has a lot to translate and more coding and patching work. Also the anime was only 12 episodes.
(/^▽^)/

#11 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:30 PM

Varaka said:

......just don't....ok.....simply, don't......: 3

*leaves thread*

#12 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:45 PM

Mech Mechanic said:

Varaka said:

......just don't....ok.....simply, don't......: 3

*leaves thread*

Twas a joke.
(/^▽^)/

#13 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:22 PM

Varaka said:

Because a VN takes a lot longer and has a lot to translate and more coding and patching work. Also the anime was only 12 episodes.
And the VN only came out in 2005.

I followed a VN translation once. It took from December 17th to March 31st, was done by a single person, and it they didn't profit from it(meaning they had to have a real job on top of it).

All that aside I watched the anime. The moral of the story is...
Men are assholes, women are idiots.

So do you guys have anything that's neither creepy nor depressing_ Like PSG, that one was good.

#14 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:41 PM

Arseface said:

So do you guys have anything that's neither creepy nor depressing_ Like PSG, that one was good.
You already finished Penguin_ If so, bravo my good man.

Want something motiviational/uplifting to get rid of the School Days blues_ Check out Bunny Drop or Chihayafuru.

There's nothing really quite like PSG, so I'll just recommend what else I think might interest you (if you haven't already seen them of course): FLCL, Black Lagoon (watch it dubbed or don't watch it at all), Durarara, (Bake/Nise)monogatari but it's a pretty love-it-or-hate-it series, Gurren Lagann, Baccano (watch it dubbed or don't watch it at all), Mushi-Shi, Samurai Champloo, Nichijou, and Tsuritama (currently airing, has Akira swag (see my avatar)).

#15 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 07:07 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

You already finished Penguin_ If so, bravo my good man.
I had a bunch of free time over the past few days.

The only site I could find that streamed it had ridiculously obnoxious ads. First one 30 second ad, then it lets it start for 5 seconds, then mid sentence it cuts to another ad. All episodes cut into two parts so you get to enjoy the ads at the meaty bits too.

lavalamp1138 said:

watch it dubbed or don't watch it at all
I don't think I've ever seen those words before.

So all of those are anime suggestions, not manga or VNs_
And I'm open to normal video games too. I recently played Fortune Summoners and that was a bundle of fun.

I guess I'll start with FLCL because it's short and I've heard of it before.

lavalamp1138 said:

There's nothing really quite like PSG
PSG was amazing. I had an animated spray of the transformation sequence in TF2 for a while... till it got be banned from a server for it being against the rurus.

#16 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 07:36 PM

Arseface said:

The only site I could find that streamed it had ridiculously obnoxious ads. First one 30 second ad, then it lets it start for 5 seconds, then mid sentence it cuts to another ad. All episodes cut into two parts so you get to enjoy the ads at the meaty bits too.
That's a shame. I watched it on a site I used to go to; they put out quality fansubs. But after MegaVideo went down, a lot of streaming sites took major hits. They decided to merge with another site that only streamed dubbed shows, so they scrapped all of their other videos.

Arseface said:

I don't think I've ever seen those words before.
Haha. I'm not on either side of the dub vs sub argument, I pick my language on a case-by-case basis, but Black Lagoon and Baccano's dubs are brilliant for western authenticity and fantastic acting. The former nails the hard-as-nails badass gun-toting sailor-mouthed lead heroine, and a black guy that sounds like a black guy rather than your typical deep-voiced Japanese man. And the latter sells you on its 1930s Manhattan with mobsters rocking Brooklyn accents.

Arseface said:

So all of those are anime suggestions, not manga or VNs_
And I'm open to normal video games too. I recently played Fortune Summoners and that was a bundle of fun.
Yeah those are just anime. I'm not that savvy on Manga or VNs, so you're better off asking someone else. But I'd wholeheartedly recommend the manga series Jing: King of Bandits. I love it to death!

As for games, you can't go wrong with Tales of Vesperia. A very solid and charming RPG. It's a real pain to track down a physical copy because they stopped producing them, but if you can purchase it on the Xbox marketplace, you'll get a much cheaper deal .

Arseface said:

I guess I'll start with FLCL because it's short and I've heard of it before.
Great to hear! Literally, in fact. The soundtrack for the show is brilliant!

#17 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 08:05 PM

I think this belongs here.

meh...

: P

#18 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 23 2012 - 08:34 AM

Arseface said:

Varaka said:

And the VN only came out in 2005.

I followed a VN translation once. It took from December 17th to March 31st, was done by a single person, and it they didn't profit from it(meaning they had to have a real job on top of it).

All that aside I watched the anime. The moral of the story is...
Men are assholes, women are idiots.

They are translating the 2010 version and its a long game.

What VN were you talking about anyway_
(/^▽^)/

#19 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted June 23 2012 - 11:09 AM

Varaka said:

Uhhhh... it was an eroge. I dun want banned.

Since it was both a sequel(most of the coding was handled in the first run) and had a good bit of combat, it took significantly shorter than normal. The first games english patch took a little less than a year to come out(though I don't know when the guy started) under similar conditions.

I wanna say the game took 15-25 hours to finish, though it was linear. The point stands that it was a single person and he had another job(that pulled him out for several business trips during the translation).

I was surprised to find that nobody translated the 2005 version of School Days. I would have thought somebody would start on that as soon as the animu came out. I think around a year and a half is the average translation rate for medium length titles. School Days is medium apparently.

#20 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 23 2012 - 11:19 AM

Arseface said:

Varaka said:

Uhhhh... it was an eroge. I dun want banned.

Since it was both a sequel(most of the coding was handled in the first run) and had a good bit of combat, it took significantly shorter than normal. The first games english patch took a little less than a year to come out(though I don't know when the guy started) under similar conditions.

I wanna say the game took 15-25 hours to finish, though it was linear. The point stands that it was a single person and he had another job(that pulled him out for several business trips during the translation).

I was surprised to find that nobody translated the 2005 version of School Days. I would have thought somebody would start on that as soon as the animu came out. I think around a year and a half is the average translation rate for medium length titles. School Days is medium apparently.

I'm honestly not sure.

And can you PM the title of that game please.
(/^▽^)/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users