HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Pilot actions inside Mech.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Pilot actions within the Mech. (247 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to be able to see your pilot (you) performing actions within the mech_ for example, when using an item you see your pilots hand activating a switch in the top corner, or when starting repair.

1. YES! that would be awesome, would add to the realism of the game. (98 votes [39.68%])

Percentage of vote: 39.68%

2. There really is no negative side to this. And it would look pretty cool. (68 votes [27.53%])

Percentage of vote: 27.53%

3. Nah, I like my pilot being a ghost. (70 votes [28.34%])

Percentage of vote: 28.34%

4. Who likes cool things anyway_ No thanks. (11 votes [4.45%])

Percentage of vote: 4.45%

During the mech's power up sequence at the beginning of a match, would you like to see the pilot physically activating sub systems, weapons, targeting, HUD etc_

1. Subtle, yet immersive, I like. (130 votes [54.62%])

Percentage of vote: 54.62%

2. Doesn't affect gameplay, I wouldn't mind seeing that. (46 votes [19.33%])

Percentage of vote: 19.33%

3. Only if it is implemented as an option. (29 votes [12.18%])

Percentage of vote: 12.18%

4. No. (33 votes [13.87%])

Percentage of vote: 13.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Location3rd planet from the Sun.

Posted January 21 2013 - 03:25 AM

I would love to see my pilot (myself) activating switches and doing things within the cockpit in game, this would look really awesome, and add to the realism of a mech shooter. Whenever you use your shield item, you could see the pilots hand activating the red switch at the top left corner of the brawler. Or when dropping a turret, he could flick a switch on the dashboard. Something that makes the pilot actually interactive and part of the mech, I feel would really add alot to the game. When ever you need to repair, you could see the pilot physically shutting the mech down for maintenance.

Thoughts_

He would be activating switches on the dashboard and to the sides, so he would not be getting in the way of your vision, as his vision 'is' your vision. This would not affect gameplay.

Edited by P4THF1ND3R, January 21 2013 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted January 21 2013 - 03:44 AM

The only way to make it viable would be to slow down the response to your input. An animation would need to play after I hit the button. If the item launches as I hit the button then the animation would happen after, so it would be out of sync. If I had to wait for the animation then the item would deploy late.

Either that or the animation would have to start before I press the button... :wacko:

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#3 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 21 2013 - 03:49 AM

That's a nice biased poll you added to your game changing aesthetic feature. It can't NOT affect gameplay, as Fantus already pointed out

Edited by Beemann, January 21 2013 - 03:49 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#4 robotokom

robotokom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 04:01 AM

Why not just make the game turn based_

#5 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 04:05 AM

There are many ways to overcome the response time, it does not have to be for every action. For instance, launching a H.E charge, the pilot could press a button right at the bottom of the dash, that can be pretty instant. Does it really matter if it's not 100% in sync, would still add to the realism. Deploying a turret can be done in many ways, instant dropping of the turret without pilot action, then the pilot flicks a switch to actually make the turret deploy after its been dropped. At the start of a match when your mech is powering up, this is the perfect moment to see your pilot activating systems himself, turning weapons and targeting on, and activating the hud.

No, this does not have to affect gameplay what so ever, as I pointed out.

The pilot actions would be designed around the actual gameplay, not the other way around. I don't see a problem at all.

Edited by P4THF1ND3R, January 21 2013 - 04:06 AM.

Posted Image

#6 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:16 AM

Once again I find myself kinda in agreement with P4THF1ND3R.
A little bit of animation delay wouldn't be annoying, at least imo.
And it doesn't need to be overdone, simple animations for using items and such. Reach out 'n Flip a switch, press a button. Little things...
Then again this game isn't a SIM.
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#7 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:20 AM

You have to deal with a chain of actions though. Not only does Mr Disembodied Hands have to punch in the ONE action you just pulled off, but every other action you enact while he was busy acting out the first animation
Which leads to a lot of senseless visual clutter
I mean... honestly if you want it added as an option, I've got no issue with that outside of the wasted man-hours. Make your game as cluttered and clunky as you like
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#8 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:27 AM

Making a game more realistic and immersive isn't wasted man hours. And having it as an option is perfect, I can see some people don't want this.

Even to have it only for when the mech starts powering up at the beginning of a match would be a welcome addition to the immersion of the game. You can see your pilot physically activating the mech for combat.

Edited by P4THF1ND3R, January 21 2013 - 05:29 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostP4THF1ND3R, on January 21 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

Making a game more realistic and immersive isn't wasted man hours. And having it as an option is perfect, I can see some people don't want this.

Realism and immersion are fun to have, but your idea isn't really feasible. This game is too fast-paced for such a thing.

#10 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:40 AM

If you have read what i have previously written then you would know i am not trying to make the pilot record your every action. Even something as simple as the mech power up at the start of a match would ad to the game. As you would realize there is actually a pilot there.
Posted Image

#11 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostBeemann, on January 21 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

You have to deal with a chain of actions though. Not only does Mr Disembodied Hands have to punch in the ONE action you just pulled off, but every other action you enact while he was busy acting out the first animation
Which leads to a lot of senseless visual clutter
I mean... honestly if you want it added as an option, I've got no issue with that outside of the wasted man-hours. Make your game as cluttered and clunky as you like

I'm not 100% for the idea. I'm just thinking outside the box a little before bringing it back down to the reality of what Hawken is. You have a valid point, the way the game is now this could be considered just cluttered visuals by some/most. I also remember people wanting fuzzy dice and hula girl figurines+Animations. Neither of these ideas would really fit into Hawken because of it's style of gameplay, but it's still fun to use the imagination. As for that previous post I was imagining something simplistic, like 3 animations. 1 for each item and 1 triggered on the use of a CM. Even if these were executed back to back in a chain of actions it would be no more than hitting two buttons and flipping a switch.
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#12 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted January 21 2013 - 02:09 PM

Supported !
Would love it, especially if we can customize it thru the (incoming _) Avatar/pilot configurator in wich you could choose gloves, watch, tatoo, etc..

Fast animations to not disturb the gameplay, however in long term i can see theses become boring/too repetitive so it they have to be OFF-switchable in the options. Switch them ON when you want to demo you brand new Occulus Rift to your friends ;)

Edited by erathic, January 21 2013 - 02:10 PM.

Posted Image

#13 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted January 21 2013 - 02:09 PM

Acceptable poll answers would have been "Yes" and "No". My answer is no, for the multitude of reasons stated above.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#14 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted January 21 2013 - 02:26 PM

I voted "Who likes cool things anyway", because your poll won't let me pick anything else

So, I guess I don't like cool things, and as a result, I am 100% against this.

Edited by SilentJacket, January 21 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image

#15 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted January 21 2013 - 02:34 PM

Changed my opinion (beers do that) !

it would be cool, only during non-playing sequence (mech ignition, end game) or in a campaign or cinematic

like the jet tutorial in BF3 : https://www.youtube....pvQPN7wI#t=147s

Posted Image

#16 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on January 21 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I voted "Who likes cool things anyway", because your poll won't let me pick anything else

So, I guess I don't like cool things, and as a result, I am 100% against this.
Pretty sure there are 3 other answers to choose from, not just "Who likes cool things anyway" so that's your own fault.

As for being 100% against my idea, please state why, this is a forum, I need 'actual' feedback.

Edited by P4THF1ND3R, January 21 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image

#17 ParryDox

ParryDox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of a Gigastucture city

Posted January 21 2013 - 03:55 PM

While the idea is cool, it would draw my eyes away from the battle if my pilot was doing some fancy button pressing to detonate a mid-air TOW. I picked no, because I like ghosts, and it would be cool if my mech was possessed by the phantom that never respawned.
Posted Image
I may or may not have gotten help/stolen from Juodvarnis. It is Reisen from the Bad Apple PV.

#18 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostParryDox, on January 21 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

While the idea is cool, it would draw my eyes away from the battle if my pilot was doing some fancy button pressing to detonate a mid-air TOW. I picked no, because I like ghosts, and it would be cool if my mech was possessed by the phantom that never respawned.
Why is everyone assuming its going to be used for things like a tow missile_ its not, so stop basing you 'no' on things I have not said. It would only be viable for the mech start up sequence as like a nice addition, and to some exclusive items where it would work for the best. So please people, read what I have said before choosing, don't just assume things.
Posted Image

#19 ParryDox

ParryDox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of a Gigastucture city

Posted January 21 2013 - 04:53 PM

I was just using it as an example. If they were to add in cockpit animations, I would love to see a taunt like where the pilot wags his/her/ghosty's finger. Oh well, it is preference, and I am a minimalist.
Posted Image
I may or may not have gotten help/stolen from Juodvarnis. It is Reisen from the Bad Apple PV.

#20 nullface

nullface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:04 PM

I very much dislike this, and if it ever becomes a realty, I hope it will be an option and not mandatory.

Posted Image
3570K @ 4.5GHz - P8Z77-I DLX/WD - 8GB HyperX LoVo 1866MHz - HD7950 - 840 PRO 256GB
Fred | Vulcan-Berserker | Slug-Reaper
SweetFX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users