HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Pilot actions inside Mech.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Pilot actions within the Mech. (247 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to be able to see your pilot (you) performing actions within the mech_ for example, when using an item you see your pilots hand activating a switch in the top corner, or when starting repair.

1. YES! that would be awesome, would add to the realism of the game. (98 votes [39.68%])

Percentage of vote: 39.68%

2. There really is no negative side to this. And it would look pretty cool. (68 votes [27.53%])

Percentage of vote: 27.53%

3. Nah, I like my pilot being a ghost. (70 votes [28.34%])

Percentage of vote: 28.34%

4. Who likes cool things anyway_ No thanks. (11 votes [4.45%])

Percentage of vote: 4.45%

During the mech's power up sequence at the beginning of a match, would you like to see the pilot physically activating sub systems, weapons, targeting, HUD etc_

1. Subtle, yet immersive, I like. (130 votes [54.62%])

Percentage of vote: 54.62%

2. Doesn't affect gameplay, I wouldn't mind seeing that. (46 votes [19.33%])

Percentage of vote: 19.33%

3. Only if it is implemented as an option. (29 votes [12.18%])

Percentage of vote: 12.18%

4. No. (33 votes [13.87%])

Percentage of vote: 13.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostP4THF1ND3R, on January 21 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostSilentJacket, on January 21 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I voted "Who likes cool things anyway", because your poll won't let me pick anything else

So, I guess I don't like cool things, and as a result, I am 100% against this.
Pretty sure there are 3 other answers to choose from, not just "Who likes cool things anyway" so that's your own fault.

As for being 100% against my idea, please state why, this is a forum, I need 'actual' feedback.

my point is that your poll is incredibly biased, there is no way to say no without sounding like a deadbeat

Posted Image

#22 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Location3rd planet from the Sun.

Posted January 21 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on January 21 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

View PostP4THF1ND3R, on January 21 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostSilentJacket, on January 21 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I voted "Who likes cool things anyway", because your poll won't let me pick anything else

So, I guess I don't like cool things, and as a result, I am 100% against this.
Pretty sure there are 3 other answers to choose from, not just "Who likes cool things anyway" so that's your own fault.

As for being 100% against my idea, please state why, this is a forum, I need 'actual' feedback.

my point is that your poll is incredibly biased, there is no way to say no without sounding like a deadbeat
"I like my pilot being a ghost" is essentially just 'no' because that is what your pilot is currently a ghost, no one can debate this, people even like the idea now that your pilot is a ghostly specter that can't die. You would not be a deadbeat for choosing this, however you chose the deadbeat answer. Which is again, your choice. I am actually now against it being used in combat what so ever, I would actually prefer it to be only used during the mech power up sequence at the beginning of a match, which I have stated like 4 times. This would atleast show there is a pilot, and of-course it should be an option, if you like being a specter.

Edited by P4THF1ND3R, January 21 2013 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted January 21 2013 - 06:20 PM

I actually don't think the pilot is a "ghost" I just extend the view of the cockpit we have, down to my keyboard/mouse and myself sitting in the chair.

Here are my biased poll options that you may select in response to this post:

[ ] Umbre's logic is sound and I agree 100%
[ ] I hate thinking of myself as the one piloting the mech! I have no imagination.

#24 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted January 21 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostUmbre, on January 21 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

[ ] I hate thinking of myself as the one piloting the mech! I have no imagination.
[X] Marshalade wins.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#25 MCIggy

MCIggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:37 AM

For things that take your mech out of commission anyhow, I wouldn't have an issue with this.  If part of the startup time for the mech repairing was a pair of hands jamming or flipping certain switches, then on return from repair, and similarly with the entrance and exit from turret mode - I don't think a moment longer in 1st person instead of 3rd would adversely affect anything.

Be nice to see the pilot beating his fist on something if you try to fire while EMP'd or overheated.  Perhaps an animation or two when activating the EU return on Siege mode_  And it would be cute on the game modes where the boot sequence happens to have the pilot do something to physically agree with the 'YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL DAMAGES TO THIS MECH' message and whatnot.

Not a bad idea!  But with all ideas that aren't quite bad, the implementation would have to be careful to be worth the time.

#26 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostUmbre, on January 21 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

I actually don't think the pilot is a "ghost" I just extend the view of the cockpit we have, down to my keyboard/mouse and myself sitting in the chair.

Here are my biased poll options that you may select in response to this post:

Have to agree with this, in addition to the things I said before. I am the one piloting this mech, I'm the one pressing buttons. Having an arm reach out from the nether-regions of my monitor would break immersion, as far as I'm concerned. It would scream very loudly at me, "THIS IS A GAME". I don't want that.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#27 Lillia

Lillia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'd prefer a cool start up sequence that actually has you activate and your mech stand still for a while in the vain of Steel Battalion.

...Then again, I wish everything ever was Steel Battalion. Not the Kinect one, mind you.

On topic, I answered no, since the cockpit set-up makes it feel more like you the player are the pilot, and whatever your computer's config is, is the controls for the mech.

Edited by Lillia, January 22 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#28 _Hex_

_Hex_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 09:21 AM

If you're going for realism, play MWO. Parts of the cockpit are interactive (selecting and assigning weapon systems).

View PostLeonhardt, on April 30 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

alt+F4 fixes this. Reinstall and as soon as you see it quickly hit alt+F4. If the game crashes restart and try again until its fixed.

#29 kadath001

kadath001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 10:08 AM

i prefeer the cool start up, hands shown switching buttons, and everyhing, but once in the game, all times that the mech start up, that would be repetitive i think..

#30 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:25 PM

The first poll about "seeing your pilot as a ghost" kind of reminds me of "Receiver", the game where your player character is non-existent.

But the thing is, the control levers/ switches/ panels/ unusual user interface would be further down in the cockpit, out of normal sight. So, if Adhesive were to implement such an option, they would have to move the controls up to eye level, which might become obstructive. Just saying.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#31 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:03 AM

That would be cool.

#32 Viconaut

Viconaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 11 2013 - 10:33 PM

if need be, just pretend that the pilots hands are out of sight with hands hovering over wads on the mech's keyboard and another on a mouse like control. or just look down at your own and consider your monitor what your pilot sees since that what it does (i dont see my hands while i play, so neither does "the pilot") if you did see anything i think it would take away from the HUD and distract more than anything else

Edited by Viconaut, February 11 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#33 Viconaut

Viconaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 11 2013 - 10:35 PM

also, most triggers and commonly used controls in any vehicle are on the backs or sides of joysticks or steering controls, wouldn't be very handy for them to be in a place that would require a pilot to reach across the cab, pushing a button on the dash or roof to engage a secondary weapon or something

#34 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted February 14 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm all for cool stuff and things that add extra immersion (not necessarily realism since Hawken is not a sim) but I voted no to the first poll as it just wouldn't work with current activation times of the items. I just figure these are all controlled anyway from the two control sticks being controlled out of view by the pilots hands, you don't need to be able to see the controls to control the mech, just like driving a car.

I voted yes for the boot up sequence you experience at the start of Siege or MA, as you can't operate weapons or items till the sequence is finished anyway. So you could have one hand reaching up to the cockpit ceiling or out to the dashboard (since you can't really see much of the ceiling) to flip toggle switches and punch in codes on a keypad while your other arm remains out of view, controlling the mech's movement since you can still move around during the boot up sequence.

Cheers,

Gagzila
Posted Image

#35 Unoriginal_Name

Unoriginal_Name

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 12:43 PM

My opinion: Sounds awesome, but we already have seem to have a lot going on on our screen. Should be toggleabble and not a priority, but would be a great addition.

Also allows them to sell us cosmetic items to make our pilots' hands look better. :P

Edited by Unoriginal_Name, February 17 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#36 Goyo

Goyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:03 PM

As a player, I feel I am the pilot.  Extranous animations to me would be redundant.  So no, I do not want pilot animations.  I can see my own hands!

#37 kumiiyo

kumiiyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 12:29 PM

this is a great idea. I'd never thought about that before, but now that i think about it, it would be super cool to see your guy pushing buttons and stuff.

also, i think it would be cool if you could somehow experience your guy being slammed around the cockpit as you take damage, like if you get shot and u smash ur face on the windshield and leave a snot of blood there.

#38 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted May 10 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think Hawken should implement an ARMA 2/3 or Battlefield 3-style freelook. Press/hold a button, and turn your pilot's head to look around. 2 EZ! They've already shown the capability to implement something very similar with the oculus rift testing build...
Posted Image

#39 thegoodnamesgone

thegoodnamesgone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted May 11 2013 - 03:49 AM

I am fine with this as long as the pilot is wearing a mask and let use chose genders, and make them a did customizable for personal touch.

#40 Adeptus_Mechanicum

Adeptus_Mechanicum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted May 25 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostP4THF1ND3R, on January 21 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

There are many ways to overcome the response time, it does not have to be for every action. For instance, launching a H.E charge, the pilot could press a button right at the bottom of the dash, that can be pretty instant. Does it really matter if it's not 100% in sync, would still add to the realism. Deploying a turret can be done in many ways, instant dropping of the turret without pilot action, then the pilot flicks a switch to actually make the turret deploy after its been dropped. At the start of a match when your mech is powering up, this is the perfect moment to see your pilot activating systems himself, turning weapons and targeting on, and activating the hud.

No, this does not have to affect gameplay what so ever, as I pointed out.

The pilot actions would be designed around the actual gameplay, not the other way around. I don't see a problem at all.
it might not be one, but it could add to the immersion if these little animations were to happen on screen. these little details only add more to the depth of the game. "an FPS with depth_ what are you thinking_" might be your response, but a lot of people enjoy lore, stories and depth in games, no matter which ones. I used to play CoD. sure, i sucked at the multiplayer, the campaign missions were somewhat iffy, but the story, although a bit clunky, was still enjoyable as a comdedy rather than a drama or action genre.

I have fought as a god fights
I am imperius Dictatio
Kneel before me and beg for your lives!

-Ervin Hekate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users