HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How Long

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 02 2013 - 12:21 PM

Try making sure that Hawken has the necessary ports open in your router, if you don't have UPNP enabled.

I would also list everything you've done in your ticket (primarily the stuff you've done since they said 'it should be fixed now'), or just point at this thread, so they don't get you to duplicate work. Now, I should point out that some steps may be valid even if you've done them before because the situation is now different because of whatever.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#22 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 07:00 PM

Well, When they said it was fixed. I did the exact same thing, and the exact same thing happened.. So well see, im gonna try the necessary ports, open them and give it a try.. Ill keep you up to date

#23 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 07:07 PM

Well, I am not going to open those ports.. Should it not allow me in whether or not they are open_ Does not make sense to me..
The game should allow me to play whether or not those ports are open..

#24 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well for the time being till they allow my connection through, which i come to believe is the issue, i play other games.. Oh well..

#25 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 02 2013 - 08:07 PM

IF you have UPNP enabled, the ports should be handled automatically. What changed in seven minutes that caused you to change your mind and refuse to manually open the ports that the support documentation instructs you to open_

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#26 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 08:29 PM

Well Its not my Firewall.. Its my fathers.. He controls it. and he is a database Security admin, and Is very sketchy on this..

#27 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 08:33 PM

talking to him now, he may or may not enable UPNP.. But well see, Update you again shortly

#28 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 11:19 PM

Well ask him if he can run it temporarily to see if that resolves the issue or not.  If this works then your dad, being a database security admin, should have some ideas on how to allow those ports without affecting security.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#29 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, ill be finding out tomorrow whats going on.. 3 in morning here.. haha all are sleeping

#30 GratuitousLurking

GratuitousLurking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 04:37 AM

Yer not the only one in support rigamarole, chill out man ','

I too have been in the issues involved in fixing this up, and most of it thus far has been getting my specs/figuring out internet issues/and so on. Not had a reply since early yesterday, so assuming they're out for the weekend, so...

#31 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 12:44 PM

UPNP is apparently worse that actually just opening the Ports up.. So I will just wait till they get it straight and allow communication properly work through people firewalls.

#32 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted February 04 2013 - 01:23 PM

So you want to play an online game, but won't open ports to enable the client to send data back and forth...
Yeah, good luck waiting on them to fix that; not going to happen.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#33 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 01:32 PM

I shouldnt have to open any ports to play an online game if it is written correctly.. I play tons of Online Games and i have not touched anything to get them to work.. And you know this is true..

#34 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 03:49 PM

So if you guys know an easy, safe way to allow this game through the firewall without opening the port, please let me know. Thank you!
I was able to log in and play on another friends PC.

#35 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted February 04 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostFuryst0ne, on February 04 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

I shouldnt have to open any ports to play an online game if it is written correctly.. I play tons of Online Games and i have not touched anything to get them to work.. And you know this is true..

Because those probably work through ports that are ALREADY OPEN :rolleyes:
Has nothing to do with it 'being written correctly'; if i close ALL ports on my system's Firewall (or in my case, my hardware Firewall), no single game will get access through it.
And it'd be rather time and resource consuming for the Devs to re-write the client side code to first find what ports you have open and then utilise those, and THEN make the game's servers listen for traffic on non standard ports as well.

You should ask your dad to teach you some network topology, and maybe some network security 101.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#36 Furyst0ne

Furyst0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 05:17 PM

Well, If im talking to the game.. The game should talk back with no problem.. aka.. It cant talk to me unless i talk to it first.

#37 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 04 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostFuryst0ne, on February 04 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Well, If im talking to the game.. The game should talk back with no problem.. aka.. It cant talk to me unless i talk to it first.
Ok, first off, it is not a 1 to 1 line of communication like you are thinking.  I think you are trying to relate it to a phone conversation, where you call a number, and calls you back at the number you dialed from.

That is only half of the way computer network systems work.  So your conclusion about "it can't talk to me unless I talk to it first" is incorrect.

For example.
you start up the program, it connects to the server which responds on a totally different port (or lets use my phone example, a different phone number than what you connected too.)  Since you are not allowing calls from these unknown ports (aka phone numbers), you are not getting the information needed to continue.  It is entirely your responsibility, your network is the one that is not listening/responding to the information that the server is sending .

Since your dad has your network "protected" and blocking the essential lines of communications needed to play the game, you cannot play.

You really only have 4 choices.

1.  Convince your dad to turn on UPNP.  (which will setup those extra lines of communications automatically that are needed to play the game)
2.  Convince your dad to open the ports needed and assign them to forward them to the computer in question.  You could also use port triggering.
3.  Convince your dad to put a single computer on a DMZ just for you.  (if you don't know what a DMZ is ask your dad, to explain it)
4.  not play at all.

Your father is the one with the keys to make this game work.  It would be simple to make the required changes to allow it.

https://playhawken.z...-to-run-hawken
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#38 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 09:10 PM

To put it bluntly, most standard routers are capable of routing ports BEHIND THE SCENES and not displaying it to the user.  Fact is most router manufacturers don't bother displaying the results of automatically opened ports to the user, just like how DHCP assigns IPs automatically to computers, but it won't list the assigned IPs.  This AUTOMATIC process has to be supported by the router, and it can be enabled or disabled by the user. B)

If your dad is strict about security then he most likely has it disabled and he manually forwards ports to computers.  Some people prefer it that way.  Some call it being extra careful, others call it paranoia.  As for your other games, they probably function on the public access port 80, which is not blocked by 99% of the routers out there, BUT it is also viewable by anyone who can access your network.  The game data itself may or may not be encrpyted and you are at the Mercy Of The Developers for those games.  That's the cold, hard truth.  And you thought those other games were actually secure...novice <_<

Hawken is clearly an unsecured game, even mentioned on the forums.  They cannot rely on the standard port 80 or anyone will be able to steal your login and password information as long as they can read the raw data.  There are programs out there that do the work for you, so you see the dilemma Hawken is in_  Since the game is in BETA and they told us this information, I will not call them out. -_-

Long education short:  Your other games may or may not be secure since they use port 80, the universal open port that allows even your browser to access the internet.  Block port 80, and no more internet browsing.  Hawken doesn't use port 80, making it more secure yet the game itself is unencrpyted.  So it's a double conundrum. :o

The point:  You can whine to the full moon, roll on the bathroom floor, beat your computer to a pulp with a bat, throw up your dinner all over your dog, cry to your dad like a 2 year old girl, whatever.  If you REALLY want to play this game, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!  The question is "How Willing Are You_"  Whining won't get you anywhere.  The game is made this way and you either do something about it, or don't play.  It's that simple.  All we can do is read, or ignore your replies.  :ph34r:

PS: Devs don't read the forums.  Some support staff do, sometimes, but no devs.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#39 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 04 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Postmachmanx, on February 04 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Are you really sure about that_

However, it's true that the devs don't have time to read all the threads, so it's hit or miss that your thread will be seen by a dev unless it becomes a popular topic or comes to their attention some other way.

#40 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostElix, on February 04 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

View Postmachmanx, on February 04 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Are you really sure about that_

However, it's true that the devs don't have time to read all the threads, so it's hit or miss that your thread will be seen by a dev unless it becomes a popular topic or comes to their attention some other way.

Nope, not really sure about this, but what you say is what I think too. :)  But they'll be skipping this thread for sure since it's not a bug. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users