HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Max Pre-rendered Frames, Set to 1...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 10:11 AM

In search of performance and response time with this game, I found setting Maximum Pre-rendered frames to 1 does a world of wonders!

Try it out and see for yourself...

Capture.PNG

Im landing hits I would never be able to pull off before.

As a side tip, using a frame limiter @ 2 fps above your refresh rate really smoothes out the game.

Im now able to enjoy MAX graphic settings with great frame rates and no more crazy combat fps drops.  B)

ADDED:

As I seem to have forgotten that this is a internet forum that seems to always come with the unwavering devotion to ignorance and cynicism, this is solely provided as helpful information that worked in my experiences. YMMV

Edited by BadMadGoat, March 16 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#2 nunrigger

nunrigger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 10:15 AM

I will try this later when I play, and report back to you with results. Thanks for this mate!

#3 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted March 16 2013 - 10:27 AM

Is that in the Nvidia Control panel_ I'm not finding it in the .ini files.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#4 nunrigger

nunrigger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostWasabi_Wei, on March 16 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Is that in the Nvidia Control panel_ I'm not finding it in the .ini files.
Yea, it is, go to 3D settings.

You might have to add the hawken .exe file if it's not listed among installed programs.

#5 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted March 16 2013 - 10:35 AM

there's got to be some sort of drawback here 0.o

Posted Image

#6 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 10:45 AM

Depends on the video card, I guess.  Some cards will actually see a gain in FPS with less frames pre-rendered due to low on-board memory or other factors.  But certain settings can make the FPS go down as well.  Yeah, messing with those settings is a lot of work but it may give you favorable results.  Those settings used to be changed a lot back in the old days of gaming :D  where video cards had a world of difference in performance.  Even a 50MHz overclock was a huge gain :D  Now a days video cards have reached that leveling point where they all provide the same in-game performance except if you're going for MAX FPS.  It's kinda like modern multi-core processors: the increase in processing is there but we barely use that max performance.  And to top it off, modern processors slow down when that power is not needed.

Sorry to go a little off track there but the point is sometimes messing with those settings will actually improve or decrease performance on lower end video cards.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#7 robotokom

robotokom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostSilentJacket, on March 16 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

only to the people you shoot.

#8 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:17 AM

Going below 1 prerendered frame has a performance impact. But @ 1 i notice no difference in max frames but keeps my minimum frame rate MUCH higher.

Think of it this way:

Your system has to wait for the network to render the next frame... when someone shoots at you, it needs to know where and what to render based off of the incoming packets. If it is already trying to "pre-render" frames, it will have to play "catch up" to render what is really happening. Keeping the max pre-render down allows the system to respond much quicker to the environment of the game. Same goes for frame rate capping. keeping vsync off and capping at a certain frame rate allows the system to have the extra horse power imidiatly available to render the next frames, there by deceasing the frame lag.

I did the same thing for BF3 when it came out and was able to make shots that I would never be able to pull off before because my system was more responsive. Its all about minimum frame rate when it comes to online shooters. In the heat of battle 45fps vs 30 fps can be the difference between life and death.

Edited by BadMadGoat, March 16 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#9 ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFilling caskets in NW US

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:25 AM

What's a frame limiter_

Can I get one for free_

Edited by ExtremeUnction, March 16 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#10 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:31 AM

EVGA precision has a frame limiter option. That's what I use, and set it at 62 since my monitor's refresh rate is 60... this allows for a little margin of error and keeps frame tearing almost completely at bay...

I'm sure there are other programs that could provide the same function.

Edited by BadMadGoat, March 16 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#11 nunrigger

nunrigger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:38 AM

It improved my FPS by a slight amount after testing.

Nothing groundbreaking but every bit helps!

#12 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:44 AM

After looking around, I guess anything that uses rivatuner OSD has the frame limiter functionality... MSI afterburner has the ability as well.

FPS gain is more of a bonus with these settings... lower "frame times" and higher minimum frame rates are really what these setting are aimed at.

I have 2x GTX 660's in SLi, and I now never go below 55 fps in a heavy gun fight, where as before I could get all the way down to 30fps.

Edited by BadMadGoat, March 16 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#13 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:55 AM

From what I've read this setting impacts how your CPU and GPU work together to render the game.  So it may be related to the work CKJ was investigating in his thread.

http://community.pla..._20#entry231356

#14 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostBadMadGoat, on March 16 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I have 2x GTX 660's in SLi, and I now never go below 55 fps in a heavy gun fight, where as before I could get all the way down to 30fps.

You may want to have a look at that again as the 'Max pre-rendered frames' setting doesn't apply to SLI.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#15 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 12:04 PM

If this is some great, cover-all solution, then why isn't it used by default_

Posted Image

#16 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on March 16 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostBadMadGoat, on March 16 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

You may want to have a look at that again as the 'Max pre-rendered frames' setting doesn't apply to SLI.

I know this is stated in the driver "about", however the setting still invokes the intended result. This setting directly effects the DirectX API, which in turn requests the driver adhere to the rendering guidelines. Regardless of the 3xx.xx drivers stating that this setting doesnt not apply to SLi, the effect is very much noticeable and measurable.

#17 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted March 16 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostBadMadGoat, on March 16 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Going below 1 prerendered frame has a performance impact. But @ 1 i notice no difference in max frames but keeps my minimum frame rate MUCH higher.

Think of it this way:

Your system has to wait for the network to render the next frame... when someone shoots at you, it needs to know where and what to render based off of the incoming packets. If it is already trying to "pre-render" frames, it will have to play "catch up" to render what is really happening. Keeping the max pre-render down allows the system to respond much quicker to the environment of the game. Same goes for frame rate capping. keeping vsync off and capping at a certain frame rate allows the system to have the extra horse power imidiatly available to render the next frames, there by deceasing the frame lag.

I did the same thing for BF3 when it came out and was able to make shots that I would never be able to pull off before because my system was more responsive. Its all about minimum frame rate when it comes to online shooters. In the heat of battle 45fps vs 30 fps can be the difference between life and death.

Rendering has nothing to do with network speed.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#18 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 16 2013 - 12:32 PM

Ill have a look at this when i get home from work. Lets see what it does.

#19 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on March 16 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

If this is some great, cover-all solution, then why isn't it used by default_

Posted Image

#20 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postdavek1979, on March 16 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

View PostBadMadGoat, on March 16 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Think of it this way:

Rendering has nothing to do with network speed.

Oy,

Your statement in its entirety is correct, however the situation that is part of the current discussion is literally the reverse of your statement. When is comes to Online FPS games network speed (more exactly latencies) do have a fairly large impact on rendering. These settings allow the system to be more "nimble" or more able to react in a shorter amount of time.

I'm not going to continue defending what seems to be an onslaught of negativity and blind justification. I'm simply supplying some information in hopes it can be as helpful to others as it has been to me.

~MG~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users