HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Max Pre-rendered Frames, Set to 1...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 robotokom

robotokom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on March 16 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

View PostSilentJacket, on March 16 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

If this is some great, cover-all solution, then why isn't it used by default_
I think it is just for looks,the game will "look" better with more pre frames but you might  be missing some shots from the lag. just a guess.

#22 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 01:39 PM

Tuned down to 1 from 4 I didn't feel any appreciable difference.  No way I can think of to reliability benchmark with hawken however.

#23 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postrobotokom, on March 16 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostSilentJacket, on March 16 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

View PostSilentJacket, on March 16 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

If this is some great, cover-all solution, then why isn't it used by default_
I think it is just for looks,the game will "look" better with more pre frames but you might  be missing some shots from the lag. just a guess.

quite the opposite actually...

#24 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostBadMadGoat, on March 16 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Oy,

Your statement in its entirety is correct, however the situation that is part of the current discussion is literally the reverse of your statement. When is comes to Online FPS games network speed (more exactly latencies) do have a fairly large impact on rendering. These settings allow the system to be more "nimble" or more able to react in a shorter amount of time.

I'm not going to continue defending what seems to be an onslaught of negativity and blind justification. I'm simply supplying some information in hopes it can be as helpful to others as it has been to me.

~MG~

My statement is utterly correct. Rendering has nothing to do with network speed. What your suggestion achieves is less CPU load, which helps with stuttering and in that respect, you are correct. I can see it's a standard solution to CPU bottlenecking nowadays in many games.

Edited by davek1979, March 16 2013 - 11:08 PM.

"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#25 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 17 2013 - 05:28 AM

OK so I got some testing in here now. And I will post my results.

With Max Prerendered frames set to 1 in the Nvidia control pannel I did see higher FPS and higher GPU usage for about the first 4 respawns. And by higher fps I mean into 110s Pretty much everywhere. And higher Usage into the 80% everywhere. But then it fell shore and I was getting worse fps than the Games Default. LIke I said It helped short term but didnt end up helping through an entire match. CPU usage did stay up however but I saw more usage on 3 of the cores than all 6.

For me I will stay with the Default game setting.

#26 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 17 2013 - 06:40 AM

That's interesting that it would have an effect for a short time.  Did the match start out with only a few people and then start filling up_

We really need a benchmark routine.

#27 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 17 2013 - 06:47 AM

It was a Facility match which started around 8 players and filled up from there. The kicker is that the frames averaged below what i usually average. Need to do more testing in regard to looking across the map.

#28 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted March 17 2013 - 06:14 PM

Since I have an ATI Card I decided to finally try RadeonPro. I turned off all post-effects and set the Flip queue thingy at 2 frames pre-rendered after trying 1 and 3. 3 frames was really smooth but slowed my FPS to the 30's in the training room, so I compromised on 2. I have to say I seem to be landing more of my shots than before also. I've only played for about 30 minutes in real matches, so I remain a bit skeptical that it can make so much of a difference. So far I am impressed!

Thanks Goat!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#29 GN010

GN010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPH GMT+8

Posted March 17 2013 - 07:23 PM

read description in Nvidia control panel.

"increasing the value can result in smoother gameplay at lower framerates"

"reduce value if you experience delay in response to input devices.."

mine is set to 0.

Edited by GN010, March 17 2013 - 07:30 PM.

public enum MECHS {
SHARPSHOOTER_LV25, REAPER_LV25, SCOUT_LV25, BRUISER_LV25, BRUISER_LV25, ROCKETEER_LV25, CRT_RECRUIT_LV20,
BRAWLER_LV1, GRENADIER_LV11
};//GN010 current mechs, plays @ us-west servers but located in gmt+8. @author gn010 @since 12/2012

#30 Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted March 17 2013 - 08:04 PM

Thank you!  

The recommendation is just great.

Hawken never played so well for me before.

It used to stutter constantly now the video is smooth and feels like real time.

I have CPU, RAM and Frame Rate to spare before and after. I suspect the prerendering is causing a timing issues because pre-render means prediction, and reality changes quickly in Hawken. So you predict, are incorrect, change graphic, predict, incorrect, anon.

Edited by Junkyard_Dog, March 17 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#31 BadMadGoat

BadMadGoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 17 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostJunkyard_Dog, on March 17 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Thank you!  

The recommendation is just great.

Hawken never played so well for me before.

It used to stutter constantly now the video is smooth and feels like real time.

I have CPU, RAM and Frame Rate to spare before and after. I suspect the prerendering is causing a timing issues because pre-render means prediction, and reality changes quickly in Hawken. So you predict, are incorrect, change graphic, predict, incorrect, anon.

Im glad this has helped!

And this is exactly what I felt in the game as well... This has help me enjoy a much smoother more responsive game.

#32 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted March 18 2013 - 01:38 AM

For ati peeps this function is called 'flip queue' and you need 'ati tray tools' unless catalyst has this opion now. I haven't tried it yet so it may not work. Haven't used tray tools in years.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users