HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Micro-Transactions; Cockpit Customizations!

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Sprayed

Sprayed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted September 21 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostDarkTechNo, on September 21 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Let me get this straight. Instead of asking for an open system in which the users can create content, you are actually asking to pay more money for small trinkets. Now I'm sure you are saying "Yeah but its just small stuff, lighten up man, a few bucks ain't nothing." I have Never, NEVER, played a F2P game, or hell any game that isn't Pay2Win as SOON as people start buying these things, the Free 2 Play model needs to die, right now. This game has some potential, I played about an hour and it was interesting, but I can easily already see that it is going in the way to tribes:acsend. As in great to decent in the beta only to come out and not support the community and to instead suck it dry for all its worth, The only good f2p game is TF2, and thats only because valve designed it to not be f2p first, the new weapons and items can all be found/ crafted for free, no grinding necessarily, unlike games like blacklight, where if you want anything decent you have to grind for forever. If this game has been announced as F2P then im not going to even touch the beta any more. In fact im going to look it up right now to see if I need to uninstall it before work, I love games, and I want quality, with F2P you don't ever get quality.

The most successful North American E sport video game is FP2. It's called League of Legends and it has a 2 million dollar grand prize tournament next month. You should look into that.

Pew Pew Pew

#42 Applethief

Applethief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMiddle of, Nowhere; United States

Posted September 21 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostDarkTechNo, on September 21 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Let me get this straight. Instead of asking for an open system in which the users can create content, you are actually asking to pay more money for small trinkets. Now I'm sure you are saying "Yeah but its just small stuff, lighten up man, a few bucks ain't nothing." I have Never, NEVER, played a F2P game, or hell any game that isn't Pay2Win as SOON as people start buying these things, the Free 2 Play model needs to die, right now. This game has some potential, I played about an hour and it was interesting, but I can easily already see that it is going in the way to tribes:acsend. As in great to decent in the beta only to come out and not support the community and to instead suck it dry for all its worth, The only good f2p game is TF2, and thats only because valve designed it to not be f2p first, the new weapons and items can all be found/ crafted for free, no grinding necessarily, unlike games like blacklight, where if you want anything decent you have to grind for forever. If this game has been announced as F2P then im not going to even touch the beta any more. In fact im going to look it up right now to see if I need to uninstall it before work, I love games, and I want quality, with F2P you don't ever get quality.
this guy lol.
Posted Image

#43 Vore

Vore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted September 22 2012 - 11:41 PM

Cream shagpile carpet with burnt orange wallpaper and walnut veneer dashboard. Everytime I get a kill I have a nice animation of my pilot sipping a martini.

#44 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted September 22 2012 - 11:46 PM

Will anyone hurt me for saying that I really want to cover my dashboard in silly hats_

I mean, granted I wouldn't be able to see the HUD, but the comedic properties might make it worth it.
Posted Image

#45 3l_Drako

3l_Drako

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted September 23 2012 - 12:40 AM

Haha, I think this is a great idea.

We should be able to add artwork to the body of our mech ( like they did on the fighters of WW2 etc.)

Posted Image

#46 SergeyOvD

SergeyOvD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Vinnytsia

Posted September 23 2012 - 01:57 AM

fun idea :lol:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k 5.2 GHz / Corsair H100

Memory: Team DDR3-2600 8192MB PC-20800 (Kit of 2x4096)

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD6990 4GB GDDR5 (256bit) (950/1450)

HDD: WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10000rpm 64MB 3.5 SATAIII

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
SSD: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 480GB PCI-Ex

#47 Vernes

Vernes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 23 2012 - 09:24 PM

The problem with suggestion threads is that people who do not like the idea never go into these threads to voice a counter opinion.

Having said this, I feel that if you are going to waste man-hours developing dashboard add-ons, you might as well make it useful.
Like add the option to add a little screen to your cockpit so you can see through the camera of the turret.
Or through the camera of one of your rockets.
Or a list of your teammates and their health.

Now that you have an addon slot on your cockpit, you can choose to use a non-combat related addon as well.
Don't need the turret-cam screen_ Here's a silly hat instead.

Because I really don't like the idea of waiting another month just to add silly hats to the game.

#48 Pyroka

Pyroka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted September 24 2012 - 04:56 AM

Sure. Every battle mech cockpit NEEDS a coffee dispenser!

I think this thread is a really good example of how Hawken can be really well integrated with steam and the steam workshop. The fans could create items and custom parts for their mechs (Provided that they had the skills to do so).

#49 Ganelon

Ganelon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted September 24 2012 - 06:07 AM

Having anime stuff plastered all over my mech would be great.

Edited by Ganelon, September 24 2012 - 06:08 AM.

IIntel i7-3820 3.6GHzI8GB DDR3INvidia GeForce GTX 670IAsus AsRock 79 Extreme 3IWestern Digital Caviar Green 1.5TBI

#50 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationConstructing Additional Pylons

Posted September 24 2012 - 06:13 AM

I want a lava lamp in my cockpit. Now.

EDIT: A coffee maker would be funny in a mech. They need to make this happen. It just seems so fitting.

Edited by YellerBill, September 24 2012 - 06:14 AM.

I was not dead... I was only sleeping.

#51 CharlieCroker

CharlieCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 06:33 AM

Cockpit customisations sound like a good Idea, the problem is that it sounds like people want to make it a game changing option rather than an aesthetic one. I'd add a hula girl and a picture of Marilyn for my own pleasure but not buy it or something to make other people somehow worse off than me.

Posted Image

#52 Demonocolips

Demonocolips

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 08:00 AM

larger gauges cause right now they too damned small
Check my Youtube channel for gaming footage from WOT and other games.

#53 Sprayed

Sprayed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostVernes, on September 23 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

The problem with suggestion threads is that people who do not like the idea never go into these threads to voice a counter opinion.

Having said this, I feel that if you are going to waste man-hours developing dashboard add-ons, you might as well make it useful.
Like add the option to add a little screen to your cockpit so you can see through the camera of the turret.
Or through the camera of one of your rockets.
Or a list of your teammates and their health.

Now that you have an addon slot on your cockpit, you can choose to use a non-combat related addon as well.
Don't need the turret-cam screen_ Here's a silly hat instead.

Because I really don't like the idea of waiting another month just to add silly hats to the game.

This is actually a really great idea. I really hope the devs read this :)

Edited by Sprayed, September 24 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Pew Pew Pew

#54 Vore

Vore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 11:11 PM

Vernes argues well and makes a good point, though it's about additional encumbrance on the client-server relationship. Hula girls on the dash - purely client side. Turret cam - needs more bandwidth on the server (or whatever). I agree, the more useful the better, but the "useless" client side mods can be taken care of by the fanbase without wasting the dev's time. This is a PC game not a console game, it's intended audience expects quite a degree of Modability and Custom Options.

#55 Vernes

Vernes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 01:39 AM

I agree with Vore that a client only addon would have less impact on the development time.
My own opinion was based on the idea that since an cockpit addon would take some time to implement, you'd might as well make something that can be used on a broader scale.
Of course this would drasticly increase the time implementing it by the devs.

My personal opinion is that these little cosmetic addons would only appeal to me if they were visible to other players.
Lacking this, they need to offer a little gameplay mechanical feature for me.

#56 The_Lightning_Count

The_Lightning_Count

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 04:32 AM

i like the idea here. also : you dont need to host em or upload em anywhere cause YOUR cockpit will only be seen by you. so its easy to do the picture one. litte random screen that you can upload picture to yourself, preferably supporting gif animations. then you can put it a girlfriend one. or if you dont have one, tech schematics or even religious icons if you want to ( not religious here, but some peole might be)

#57 DarkTechNo

DarkTechNo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 10:03 AM

LoL is not going to be very sucessful for much longer, DOTA2 is comming and its going to hurt LoL, not kill it but, it will take much of the player base away, I have never played LoL but I played dota2 and its pretty boring, even at high level play, I'm sure some people love it and enjoy it but that shouldnt translate into a Mech FPS game. Im sure nothing I say will be noted by this type of comminuty anyway seeing as you are all begging to throw money at the dev's so long as you get what you want.

#58 Sprayed

Sprayed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostDarkTechNo, on September 25 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

LoL is not going to be very sucessful for much longer, DOTA2 is comming and its going to hurt LoL, not kill it but, it will take much of the player base away, I have never played LoL but I played dota2 and its pretty boring, even at high level play, I'm sure some people love it and enjoy it but that shouldnt translate into a Mech FPS game. Im sure nothing I say will be noted by this type of comminuty anyway seeing as you are all begging to throw money at the dev's so long as you get what you want.

I can place a bet that LoL will not be hurt by dota2 very much. All the dedicated dota 2 players are already playing the game. LoL is more casual than dota, and it works better for the genre. I was a hardcore dota fan, and LoL blew dota out of the water. I am also in the beta for dota2 and I must say that it is a HUGE disappointment.

View PostVore, on September 24 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Vernes argues well and makes a good point, though it's about additional encumbrance on the client-server relationship. Hula girls on the dash - purely client side. Turret cam - needs more bandwidth on the server (or whatever). I agree, the more useful the better, but the "useless" client side mods can be taken care of by the fanbase without wasting the dev's time. This is a PC game not a console game, it's intended audience expects quite a degree of Modability and Custom Options.

I certainly hope so. But it would be nice to be able to have something in the actual client that allowed us to customize the cockpit. Modders could make endless amounts of additions to the items/designs of it

Pew Pew Pew

#59 GUEST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationThe land of apple pie and toddler pageants.

Posted September 25 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have an awesome idea. I'm gonna go register for the forums of a game I have no interest in playing, and tell the people who are into the game just how little faith I have in it. Then when they obviously don't listen, I'm going to tell them continue doing exactly what they should be doing ("throw money at the devs as long as you get what you want") as though it were a bad thing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 DarkTechNo

DarkTechNo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostGUEST, on September 25 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I have an awesome idea. I'm gonna go register for the forums of a game I have no interest in playing, and tell the people who are into the game just how little faith I have in it. Then when they obviously don't listen, I'm going to tell them continue doing exactly what they should be doing ("throw money at the devs as long as you get what you want") as though it were a bad thing.
You seem to misunderstand me, I want to support this game, I have interest in this game, and I am also a Alpha tester. However I cannot condone this F2P model as it has failed me many times over, in WarRock, Combat Arms, and Tribes. The idea has left a bad taste in my mouth, Blacklight looks to be slightly different, however many of their decent weapons you cannot perm with in-game points. Thats a huge disappointment. And as time goes on it seems to be more, and more micro transaction based.

EDIT: You also seem to be very upset over some simple criticisms, I was in no way rude or insulting, I simply tried to convince people to rethink support of the F2P model.

Edited by DarkTechNo, September 25 2012 - 05:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users