HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Titanfall - new mech game by ex IW devs

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostN0stalgia, on June 14 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostRedVan, on June 14 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

I honestly don't understand the gripes against origin. Just a "steam" by another company. Only problem I ever had with steam was needing to run it in the background to play games through it, but better computers alleviated that.

Used origin for BF3 and never saw an issue aside from the inconvenience of needing to install it to install BF3. Quite a light inconvenience IMO.

Everyone dislikes Origin because it sucks. Usually people dislike things that suck. Here are a few reasons it sucks: It is bloatware that is unnecessary, it hogs computer resources, it has an unintuitive interface, it was created only because steam was successful and now that it has been created creates a rift in many a gamer's library and nobody wants to run both at the same time, it has slow download speeds - especially compared to Steam, and it is riddled with ads so as to line EA's pockets with more monies. Consumers don't want it and they didn't ask for it, but now are forced to use it with certain games. Not cool EA. Not cool. People should boycott things that are not cool.

So don't buy the game.

"Everyone" said the exact same thing about steam, seems to be quite fine now. So another company wants to make their stuff exclusive. That's up to them. If people really want to "boycott" it, they'll just wind up hurting themselves by missing out on games they would otherwise enjoy. I guarantee you there are enough people out there who don't care enough about running origin that ea won't be getting rid of it any time soon.

Best option:  help them improve it.

#42 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:03 PM

I say if ain't broke don't fix it. Origin makes no sence and ea should be kicked in the balls for it. That being said, I probably will get it anyhow

because bow ties are cool

#43 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:36 PM

I honestly don't understand the gripes against origin. Just a "steam" by another company. Only problem I ever had with steam was needing to run it in the background to play games through it, but better computers alleviated that.

Used origin for BF3 and never saw an issue aside from the inconvenience of needing to install it to install BF3. Quite a light inconvenience IMO.

Everyone dislikes Origin because it sucks. Usually people dislike things that suck. Here are a few reasons it sucks: It is bloatware that is unnecessary, it hogs computer resources, it has an unintuitive interface, it was created only because steam was successful and now that it has been created creates a rift in many a gamer's library and nobody wants to run both at the same time, it has slow download speeds - especially compared to Steam, and it is riddled with ads so as to line EA's pockets with more monies. Consumers don't want it and they didn't ask for it, but now are forced to use it with certain games. Not cool EA. Not cool. People should boycott things that are not cool.

you forgot spyware, Origin is capable of scanning your entire computer, including any and all sensitive data stored on it

I only have Origin for Crysis 3, and even then, it is on an isolated partition. (the crysis Dl took 4 days btw)

Posted Image

#44 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostRedVan, on June 14 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

So don't buy the game.

"Everyone" said the exact same thing about steam, seems to be quite fine now. So another company wants to make their stuff exclusive. That's up to them. If people really want to "boycott" it, they'll just wind up hurting themselves by missing out on games they would otherwise enjoy. I guarantee you there are enough people out there who don't care enough about running origin that ea won't be getting rid of it any time soon.

Best option:  help them improve it.

... STEAM, it is what it is for now, but just wait, Gabe isn't going to be around forever, same goes for all the 1st gen decision makers over there, once you get past whomever the 2nd generation of leaders are and Valve could very well be the next EA if they don't get gobbled up by someone or the other way around (you never know).  Similar reason as to why I don’t give a flip about id anymore since they sold out and don’t seem to be clearing out their DRM after a game sells well enough..

As for Origin, I guess the newer generation of gamers can all spend their money on that storefront like a good group of drones.  Really.. This is EA we're talking about.. the meat grinder of a company that gobbles up developers, over work the ($)# out of them, toss out a half dozen sequels of the game they made and then boots them out.  After which they pull in some new people to keep the IP on life support until people can't stand to spend any more money on it.. or is that Microsoft...  then they go find something else to gobble up, repackage and sell.  All this while trying to make sure they keep the maximum control over software they're willing to sell you for a premium price while not really selling you anything but a PASS to authorize you to play THEIR game that you never actually purchased.  Kind of like if you paid money for a music CD that really only authorized you to borrow it.. forcing you to ask the RIAA to lend it to you only long enough to play whatever you wanted to listen to in one sitting and then give it back, rinse, wash, and repeat.

Edited by NBShoot_me, June 14 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#45 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on June 14 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

you forgot spyware, Origin is capable of scanning your entire computer, including any and all sensitive data stored on it

So does any other program on your computer pretty much, even if it never runs as admin (which it will have to at some points for some installs), since it can read all of the current user's files as well. Steam can do this, your browser can do this, a calculator program can do this.

Sorry but when the arguments go too far into the misinformed/grasping at straws territory...
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#46 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostAshfire908, on June 14 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

So does any other program on your computer pretty much, even if it never runs as admin (which it will have to at some points for some installs), since it can read all of the current user's files as well. Steam can do this, your browser can do this, a calculator program can do this.

Sorry but when the arguments go too far into the misinformed/grasping at straws territory...

let me clarify, Origin's TOS even says that it will scan your computer for unspecified reasons.

Posted Image

#47 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:50 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image
< TEXT-FIELD >

#48 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on June 14 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostAshfire908, on June 14 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

let me clarify, Origin's TOS even says that it will scan your computer for unspecified reasons.

IIRC, Origin's TOS is/was (I haven't read it in some time; didn't sign up, just was a big deal at the time so I read it) not specific at what it collected but it was for how it was using said data, while Steam said what they record but not what it's for as much.

But clarification is really all I wanted, I'm not a origin/ea fanboy or w/e (I think EA is terrible and I've had no reason to touch origin), just don't want the conversation to get so far into the "gotta hate on it" that the original topic/discussion is lost.

Edited by Ashfire908, June 14 2013 - 09:08 PM.

Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#49 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:29 PM

I think the data they collect is mostly just metrics on how people use their software.

#50 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 16 2013 - 06:35 AM

Don't get me wrong, EA may be the big bad wolf, simply trying to capitalize (it is a company for profit after all). All I'm saying is:  you're not gonna start an Anti-EA revolution lol. If you don't like origin, then just don't play the games. If you want to play the games, then either suck it up or help them make it better.

There is no company out there that is incapable of changing for the better or worse. It's mostly dependent on the input they get from their customers. If you refuse to use their product, they likely won't care what you think of it. If you use it and give them input, they're more likely to improve it.

As much as people love to bash on big corporations, you have to remember, they do want to produce a good product. Good product = more revenue. Even if their bad product is producing good revenue, the can always make more by improving it.

#51 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted June 16 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostRedVan, on June 16 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong, EA may be the big bad wolf, simply trying to capitalize (it is a company for profit after all). All I'm saying is:  you're not gonna start an Anti-EA revolution lol. If you don't like origin, then just don't play the games. If you want to play the games, then either suck it up or help them make it better.

There is no company out there that is incapable of changing for the better or worse. It's mostly dependent on the input they get from their customers. If you refuse to use their product, they likely won't care what you think of it. If you use it and give them input, they're more likely to improve it.

As much as people love to bash on big corporations, you have to remember, they do want to produce a good product. Good product = more revenue. Even if their bad product is producing good revenue, the can always make more by improving it.
Well said

#52 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted June 17 2013 - 03:50 AM

View PostRedVan, on June 16 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

As someone who works at a huge company and has seen EA make similar choices, I think your suggestion is off base. While you are logically correct, many huge companies struggle with balancing long term profits against short term gain - and often go in favor of the short term for their shareholders. Sure, they want customers to be happy. They also want to make as much money as possible. There's a lot of conflict between those two points.

Look at the server issues so common to EA game launches. Every time, "We didn't expect such demand!" Look at the online passes that players hated on consoles, which are only now going away because MS bowed to EA's demands on used games. Look at the direction they've taken several franchises versus the direction the players wanted. There's an abundance of examples.

When a company makes such moves that are clearly negative for the paid customers, you have to ask why. The answer is almost always because the company will make more money. (Sometimes, it's just dumb mistakes.)

If you keep buying the games and jam their forums full of helpful feedback, only to see the worst offenses continue game after game, where do you draw that line_ For me, that answer lies in how major the issues are. Some of the big problems are pure business decisions, consumer be damned, and all the feedback in the world won't matter if copies still fly off the shelves. Smaller things, like gameplay tweaks, will likely be changed. I think it's the difference between what the publisher demands/controls versus the developer - the latter is more concerned about us and the former is tied up in the bottomline.

Edited by FussyBadger, June 17 2013 - 03:51 AM.

#53 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 06:09 PM

Or, how about this: Feedback usually helps the developers create a better product, but when it comes to the REALLY BIG publishers like EA (might be considered "developers", etc. too), the bean counters making these DRM related decisions couldn't care any less what you say, to them it's all about the bottom line.

#54 Kelso

Kelso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 04 2013 - 05:10 AM

Titanfall looks very promising, I will most likely get it for pc :)
Posted Image

#55 Countrygal

Countrygal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGermany - Boots City

Posted July 04 2013 - 05:22 AM

Oh noes.. the Titanfall thread came up again.. Time to throw my bra away

Please excuse grammatical errors, English is not my first language.  Thanks!

#56 Kelso

Kelso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 04 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostCountrygal, on July 04 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

Oh noes.. the Titanfall thread came up again.. Time to throw my bra away
Oh yay! Im realy looking forward to the game :P
Posted Image

#57 NYR0

NYR0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted July 08 2013 - 05:52 PM

I just looked at this and noticed EA is now taking pre-orders on it. I wonder how much the Hawken devs are worried about this real competition and whether or not they think Titanfall will end Hawken.
Posted Image

#58 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted July 08 2013 - 07:29 PM

why would it end hawken_ its nothing similar at all. that's like saying MWO will "end" hawken.

Posted Image

#59 NYR0

NYR0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted July 08 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostAudible_Silence, on July 08 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

why would it end hawken_ its nothing similar at all. that's like saying MWO will "end" hawken.

Is it nothing like Hawken simply because it has the option of not being in the Mech_ I would consider all Mech games competition to eachother if they are in the same genre...FPS, RPG  or RTS.
Posted Image

#60 Countrygal

Countrygal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGermany - Boots City

Posted July 09 2013 - 02:48 AM

Pre-Orders_ *runs to the store*

Please excuse grammatical errors, English is not my first language.  Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users