HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

3rd person view

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: 3rd person view (247 member(s) have cast votes)

Should devs add 3rd person view_

1. Yes, I'd love to see my whole mech in action! (84 votes [34.01%])

Percentage of vote: 34.01%

2. Nah, I like all this dirt in my cockpit. (163 votes [65.99%])

Percentage of vote: 65.99%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Frutti

Frutti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted June 23 2013 - 03:34 PM

Take three ;)

View from the cockpit is really uncomfortable. Still blocking and running into obstacles or especially the other mechs. Someone could say it's no realistic, but it's only an option, you can stay inside if you want.
I was killed several times today because I dodged into wall or mates :}

I don't mean spectator view.
25lvl Fred RULEZ

#2 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted June 23 2013 - 03:46 PM

omg thirds!!!!!
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#3 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted June 23 2013 - 03:47 PM

Search Function saves lives :rolleyes: (up there)
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#4 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 03:49 PM

hes posted three times on the same subject, thats why its funny and the search brings his topics up lol
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted June 23 2013 - 04:23 PM

We've already explained to you why 3rd person gameplay cameras cannot be added.
It provides a huge advantage which means it would be required if you want to be competitive, and it ruins the immersion.

Not to mention Hawken is a FPS.
You do realize that FPS stands for FIRST PERSON Shooter, right_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 23 2013 - 04:28 PM

OP: You're talking on a different game genre in here; I'm afraid... mod , can you see that AGAIN_ Ok, I do appreciate it. Ty.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#7 Frutti

Frutti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted June 23 2013 - 11:40 PM

Woah, easy, I wrote it's take three.

View PostG4M5T3R, on June 23 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Search Function saves lives :rolleyes: (up there)

Yeah, all of the topics are mine :D
I really like Hawken, there's a great enviroment in this game, but blocking myself is freaking me out. If 3rd person view is not appreciated by other players it will not be provided by devs, that's why I have to stop playing this game. Thank you for your time and may all the enemy rockets miss you!

Topic can be closed and deleted.
25lvl Fred RULEZ

#8 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 11:46 PM

no we will miss yu dont quite!!!!!

#9 McNastaChief

McNastaChief

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorth CA

Posted June 24 2013 - 12:53 AM

A "Gears of war style" third person, (the first game that popped into my head), could be amazing. Add some shakey camera effects and an option to switch left/right side and i'm happy.
Posted Image

#10 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted June 24 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostMcNastaChief, on June 24 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

A "Gears of war style" third person, (the first game that popped into my head), could be amazing. Add some shakey camera effects and an option to switch left/right side and i'm happy.
Disagree.  Even with a limited FoV that the close up 3rd person view gives, it's still a massive advantage over those who are playing from 'in the cockpit'.

IMO, 3rd person view of any kind, outside of repairing, is a Bad Idea that would just make Hawken worse (easier).

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#11 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 10:00 AM

GO PLAY MECH ASSAULT or GEARS OF WAR

LOL, seriously.  Hawken is awesome BECAUSE it's a fast-paced and immersive Mech-FPS.

It you want to see a little 3d wireframe mesh that represents you jetting around the map, there are already tons of games like that around.

As AJK and EVERYONE has mentioned in your prior threads as well, 3rd person mode allows you to see around corners and over obstacles without risking your neck, AND without the enemy even knowing you're observing them.  To make this option (more) available (than it already is) would force EVERYONE to use it and remove a critical part that makes it so much fun to play this as opposed to ANY fast-paced FPS

These are big walking tanks with rockets on them to improve their mobility...there's a reason why you are having trouble tracking your targets up close, its because you're in a big walking tank and not on foot.

This subject needs to die.  You've already got a whole market of TPS games you can trot around in...stick with those.

#12 shavedape

shavedape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 11:24 AM

its simple you could put it in but dont put any cross airs on in the third person view to even it a little , i prefer being in side the cockpit to honest

#13 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 12:23 PM

BTW, Frutti

I didn't mean to come across as rude in my prior post.  My apologies if I offended you.

I simply don't think that Hawken is the place for a 3rd person mode, and I feel strongly about that.

3rd person has already ruined what little tactics there were in dogfighting in BF3...I don't think that it has a place in Hawken as part of the challenge and tactics in CQB is being able to trick your opponent as you jink around them or double-back or jet above them when they are in the midst of pivoting.

If you take the player's view out of the cockpit, you add a whole extra range of view around their mech (including behind them at close range) as well as reducing the likelihood that you can get out of their LOS if you're trying to evade them.

When I mentioned that there are other TPS games out there that you can trot around in, I meant it literally.  Those games such as Gears of War and Mech Assault were designed from the beginning as TPS-games...feel free to enjoy those for the features that they offer.  But keep in mind that one of Hawken's most compelling features is that it really tries to make it appear as though YOU are piloting as opposed to simply steering a remote-controlled avatar from the safety of a chaseplane...I think that is part of what makes Hawken also appear to be more fast-paced and frenetic in combat...something that could possible be lost if you no longer keep the game in a first-person perspective.

Thus from a tactical perspective, from a gameplay perspective, from an immersive perspective and from a challenge perspective, I'm against this.

#14 7ucky

7ucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostFrutti, on June 23 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Frutti, I get why you want this, but what would be better: for the devs to shift focus away from releasing meaningful updates like parties/spectator/balance to the game or for you to practice awareness learn where your team and walls are_ :D

If it helps, we've all suffered through mech blobs and sticky walls - the trick is to learn from your deaths to not repeat these mistakes.

Edited by 7ucky, June 24 2013 - 12:31 PM.

[something should go here]

#15 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted June 24 2013 - 10:13 PM

View Postshavedape, on June 24 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

its simple you could put it in but dont put any cross airs on in the third person view to even it a little , i prefer being in side the cockpit to honest
That fine if that's what you like, but aiming reticule being present is irrelevant.  A 3rd person view gives too much of an advantage, so no, it's not a good idea or a good thing to put into the game, especially when someone prefers being in a first person view.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#16 Bratwurst

Bratwurst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationHamster powered mech.

Posted June 25 2013 - 12:19 AM

Posted Image

#17 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 25 2013 - 03:13 AM

LOL i thought this thread got bumped but just lol
Posted Image

#18 SeargentMuffin

SeargentMuffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 02:38 PM

Would really like to see my mech in a firefight that I spent money to customize and look good.

#19 BriariusX1

BriariusX1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInside my pod

Posted June 30 2013 - 11:01 AM

You say 3rd person view - I say HELL F%&@*!NG NO! :)

#20 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostFrutti, on June 23 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Take three ;)

View from the cockpit is really uncomfortable. Still blocking and running into obstacles or especially the other mechs. Someone could say it's no realistic, but it's only an option, you can stay inside if you want.

I don't mean spectator view.

Dodging into walls is simply something you learn not to do as you get better.

3rd person view gives an advantage to those who use it over 1st person, so, no, should not be added.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users