HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

So I played Mechwarrior Online for the first time yesterday...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on June 26 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

View Posthoghead, on June 26 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

View PostOmniStone, on June 25 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

I tried playing MechWarrior Online, it was too slow and boring for me. I think if I were older(say 40-50 or so), I wouldn't mind playing it if my twitch was gone by that age. It seems to serve it's player base quite well, it is an older crowd that plays it. I'm not a MechWarrior hater or anything, it just isn't my cup of tea.
don't under estimate us 40 or 50 year olds KID my twitch ain't gone yet and I don't think many of  the other 40 ,50 or 60 year olders are either! :angry: ;)

I personally think twitch skills are case of you either have it or don't - until the extremes of age you're going to keep it if it's there.
Technology is improving as we age fortunately, and while fine motor control is something that people don't start to lose until their late 60's or even late 70's, the interfaces are improving by orders of magnitude.

Case in point, eye-tracking technology is probably going to replace the mouse relatively soon and neural kinetics are probably still about 20 years out but will likely replace the keyboard.  But the two together will effectively make twitch games playable at close to synapse speed as opposed to at one's present state of eye-hand coordination.

View PostTeljaxx, on June 26 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

One of the biggest problems with MWO is what all Mechwarrior games have had problems with. It is impossible to directly translate a tabletop game that uses dice, turns, and random numbers into a first-person, skill based game. But then you run into the problem of how to balance the necessary changes. If you make it too similar to the TT rules, then it is unbalanced and barely works. but if you stray too far from the core rules and stats, then you risk alienating the core rule purists and long time fans.

As I said in my previous post, PGI has done an awful job of this. This is also part of why their trial mechs are so useless. They all use loadouts that are designed to be used in the TT game, and work fine there. But because of the changes that were done to make MWO work at all, they no longer fit within the system, and are far outclassed by mechs that can be made to fit the new system.

And it really sucks that the game has such lackluster graphics, because their concept artist is amazing. Their CG team has not done a very good job of translating his 2D designs into 3D, though. And, just like with MW3&4, they are not using the potential of the graphics engine to make interesting worlds to battle on. Instead, we get boring Earthlike snow, desert, city, and forest maps. When MW2, a game from 1995 has more interesting worlds than a Crytek game, there is something wrong.
Agreed across the board.  It's something that is extremely frustrating given that there's a lost opportunity here to update MW both functionally and graphically.  I am hopeful however with regard to MWTactics...a hex-grid-based strategy game without 'turns' so much as pre-laid battle-plans and seeing how well your strategy pans out with your customized mechs and pilots of varying skill levels and specialties.

#42 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted June 26 2013 - 05:30 PM

MW Tactics is one that I am still interested in. I have always liked tactics games, like Advance Wars and Front Mission, and tabletop games like Battletech and Warhammer. Translating the original Battletech TT rules into a game that is basically the same format should be much easier to do as well.

The main thing that has me worried about MWT is that it has the same publisher as MWO, and I think that they are mostly responsible for the idiotic payment system and other problems that MWO has. So MWT may end up with a lot of the same problems that MWO has outside of its gameplay.

But, either way, it is free to try it. So I can at least do that and find out for myself if it is worth playing or not.
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#43 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostTeljaxx, on June 26 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

MW Tactics is one that I am still interested in. I have always liked tactics games, like Advance Wars and Front Mission, and tabletop games like Battletech and Warhammer. Translating the original Battletech TT rules into a game that is basically the same format should be much easier to do as well.

The main thing that has me worried about MWT is that it has the same publisher as MWO, and I think that they are mostly responsible for the idiotic payment system and other problems that MWO has. So MWT may end up with a lot of the same problems that MWO has outside of its gameplay.

But, either way, it is free to try it. So I can at least do that and find out for myself if it is worth playing or not.
Same concerns here.  My only hope is that they don't ruin it.

And I LOOOOOOOOOVE Front Mission (not Evolved, that game sucks!), it's tragic that SquareEnix can't find its ass with both hands to localize Front-Mission5 to the US, because I played FM4 soooooo many times!

Edited by GodsHolyMember, June 26 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#44 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm sorry

#45 mycrus

mycrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 07:10 AM

hi i'm from Clan MWO-in-Exile...  im downloading hawken... i think i'm going to have fun here :)
Posted Image

#46 Tekadept

Tekadept

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted January 19 2014 - 07:14 AM

Yeh lets see what this little game can do, at least there is no heffay here, or is there_
Posted Image
Disclaimer:
Tekadept doesn't come with a filter.Anything he write or says should be taken with a grain of salt. Any offense not intended unless I really don't like you..

#47 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 20 2014 - 08:39 AM

I found MWO pretty okay - there's a lot to be done to make the weapons FEEL more visceral. These are monolithic colossi, I should feel like every shot could level a city block.
My MAIN gripe though is parts of the business model. I'm not sure who in their right mind is paying $500 for a single gold Clan mech. And the grind rate is pretty slow, so once you do buy a first mech, it takes a long time to get another and you're stuck with little variety.
Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

#48 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted January 20 2014 - 10:32 AM

warning hawken is 10x different from hawken and 10x better i you like FPS and it is not a sim! the only similwrity is you poilet a mech!
please dont post complaints on how unrealistic it is,the mechs run on rat poo what do you expect xD

anyways welcome to hawken! we hope you enjoy your time on ilal
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#49 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted February 08 2014 - 10:46 PM

Fortunately, there's always the Crysis Wars mod Mech Warrior: Living Legends for scratching that mech itch.

#50 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 07:16 PM

do you still eject as BA_  Or do you need to select BA suit now_

#51 DEATHL0K

DEATHL0K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm gonna dig this bone up, because I'm new and don't know any better. LOL.

I was all set to intall the MechWarrior Online, because I freaking loved the old Mechwarrior games, going back to 1989, before we even had sound cards. Then I went to the MWO forums to get help with an installation issue. There's a vibe they got going on over there I don't think I want any part of. The way the forums are policed gives me the creeps, as do the guys with high post counts and ugly attitudes. Further research points to a developer that has made a number of serious mistakes, especially in how they deal with customers. What I've read makes me think the game never reached a number of significant development milestones.

So the installer sits on my desktop. Not sure I want to invest in MWO, especially in light of the fun I'm having with HAWKEN.

#52 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted February 25 2014 - 10:04 PM

i played it in jan of '13, i didnt like it... seemed P2W to me. and i didnt like the mode of play. it's tough to learn a game when there are no respawns.

Posted Image

#53 DEATHL0K

DEATHL0K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 03:55 PM

OMG.

The MWO developers just made up my mind for me:

Why We're Going Kael Pershaw On Your A**es.

You may have notice the moderating team has stepped up closing threads.

With the creation of the Command Chair forum section, we're working hard to address common hot topics. Part of keeping information flowing, is closing topics that are well document, discussed, or not designed to further a constructive conversation.

Outside of closing threads for standard Code of Conduct/Terms of Service issues, the moderation team will close any thread that has been answered by a developer, leaving a link to the appropriate information.

While it may seem heavy handed, we are doing this for the sake of the community, to promote new ideas, and to keep busy sections of the forums from filling up with noisy threads.

I was going to use a Darth Vader reference, but this being BattleTech n all....

Basically, they are saying they don't want new players on the forums asking "stupid" questions and they don't want to be questioned about their mismanagement of the franchise ever again. Personally, I've never seen this level of abuse outside Steam or Team Warfare League.

My God, if you don't want to be "bothered" by customers' "stupid" questions, then don't go into any kind of business, ever. Certainly, don't make a video game.

I'm deleting their installer. I want no part of what they're selling.

#54 Kryjeck

Kryjeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationBillings, Montana

Posted March 05 2014 - 09:34 AM

I wonder how long it would take to close a thread with a new idea with a casual throw away line of "We will look into it"

Posted Image

#55 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted March 06 2014 - 06:43 AM

MWO: digging its grave
spring 2014
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users