HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

About map balance.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 02:27 AM

I still think hawkens biggest mapping problem is in team to team balance, not in class to class balance.

I'd like to point out again Bazaar, where in one team comes from behind a set of small choke points, and the other comes from a much more open area littered with cover. How can you put the teams on an even playing field if the literal field of play is uneven_

At the very least, the spawns and their paths to mid map need to be symmetrical. And that's my opinion if this game is to be at all seriously competetive. Hell, even if not for comp, it's still sound game logic. Uneven maps make sense in a game mode where seperate teams are dedicated to seperate tasks, such as attack vs defend. It makes some sense in CS where you're either trying to plant or disarm a bomb. Or in tf2 avd maps. But it doesn't make sense in a game mode where both teams are competing for the same task.

As it is now for comp play to be serious and balanced it'd take two rounds for each map. Switching teams inbetween rounds, so both teams have a chance to play on each side of the map.(which in bazaars case is severely different) And then if there's a tie, in order to solve it fairly, it'd take two more rounds.

On another note I don't think TDM or DM should be taken at all into account for maps that will support MA or siege. Comp game or not. If you can balance a map for all game modes then go for it. But in all honestly DM modes are an after thought, they can take place on just about any map, made for any mode, and is mostly just for quick fun.

Edited by Massive_Assailant_Stingray, July 12 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#62 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted July 12 2013 - 03:12 AM

Anyway they'll make every wall breakable with the next patch. You'll feel naked in A classes and will need the cover of Cs in turret mode. Like Worms Armageddon with mechs.

#63 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted July 12 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostM4st0d0n, on July 12 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

Anyway they'll make every wall breakable with the next patch.
wat

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#64 Blingchicken

Blingchicken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationThe Pit of Despair!

Posted July 12 2013 - 09:00 AM

If they make walls breakable or buildings even, won't that help balance things_  In theory you could remove those building checkpoints by just blowing them up.

#65 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 09:14 AM

LOL, turn Bazaar from run-down dirt-world into complete moonscape with all of the Hellfires and TOWs that are slung back and forth.

You'll be able to tell if anyone's been playing as a Grenadier because there won't be any floors or walls left on any buildings, it'll just be debris littered everywhere.

#66 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted July 12 2013 - 06:57 PM

Walls are OP. I bet they're gonna nerf them. Breakable PhysX items.

#67 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted July 12 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostM4st0d0n, on July 12 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Walls are OP. I bet they're gonna nerf them. Breakable PhysX items.

It's already been confirmed that destructible environments will not be implemented in the next patch.

#68 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted July 13 2013 - 04:24 AM

It's true, they will make walls breakable. I've watched a video about this but I can't find it anymore. For example the TOW can break a bridge and make holes in the street so if you are not carefull with dodging, you will fall down :D

However, if they make walls breakable I would suggest munition, because people will spam rockets and grenades for breaking walls ^^

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#69 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted July 13 2013 - 11:51 AM

Petty sure they also said the breakable walls would be on separate maps. I can't imagine them trying to balance out all the weapons, items etc. in an environment with constantly diminishing cover, so I suspect it would be more in the Mayhem Servers style of addition
It's also going to take them a while to implement it iirc
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#70 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted July 13 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yep speculations. But... I dont even understand how they could balance anything from gamedata with matchmaking, low population and autobalance as it is now. If they are an endorsed demotech of nVidia physics they should implement it fast.

Hawken with destroyable walls_ Hence renamed... BrHawken.

#71 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 12:57 PM

Your pictures are pretty. I'd like them to be real.

No hurry though, I'm not likely to have a machine capable of running HAWKEN for many months hence.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users