HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

ADH: Plans to support mods _

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 28 2013 - 11:51 PM

Is there any support for mods in the pipeline _ Level editor maybe _

If so, when and to what extent _

There are interesting projects happening around here, but I'm somewhat doubtful they have any point at all unless devs say/promise they are planning to support them.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#2 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted August 28 2013 - 11:59 PM

Free to play titles usually have no or publisher controller community content. I am also pro mod and even [HWK]sarchasm said he came from a modder background so I really hope HAWKEN will allow them.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#3 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 12:12 AM

Thanks man.

Could someone with [ADH] or [HWK] prefix comment on this please _
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#4 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted August 29 2013 - 12:13 AM

I asked about modding the game a while ago. I was told that mods will not be supported.

#5 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationRunning around like a Chicken.

Posted August 29 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostHouruck, on August 28 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

Free to play titles usually have no or publisher controller community content. I am also pro mod and even [HWK]sarchasm said he came from a modder background so I really hope HAWKEN will allow them.

I like that Houruck.

I'll wait and see what happens, but I don't need anyone's permission to be proactive in creating!

I am really interested to find out what the devs have to say about it, They are just a bit busy working on more important issues like reaching Ver 1.0. Perhaps then we will get some word from them about modding support.

Case in point...Here is my thread on New level concepts for all to enjoy, please follow if you wish, and comment if you like.

https://community.pl...of-of-concepts/

Edited by Xer06siX, August 29 2013 - 12:45 AM.

Previously known as §îlvër-§érpênt

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Candy! Taste like Chicken, if Chicken was a Candy![/font]

Posted Image

"Since they are all going to go crazy anyway, may as well send crazy people in the first place and save the trouble..." -M

#6 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostXer06siX, on August 29 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

I'll wait and see what happens, but I don't need anyone's permission to be proactive in creating!

Whoooa, calm down man. I'm not discouraging you, I am merely advising you to value your time more. I myself have made this mistake in the past by being proactive without it coming to any fruition at all. Now that I'm older, I value my time much more. Probably depends on life experience I guess.
Be as proactive as you want, go for it!

Edited by davek1979, August 29 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#7 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationRunning around like a Chicken.

Posted August 29 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hope that didn't sound too aggressive, it's really all good and cool, UE is kinda like my baby.

(^-^)/

Previously known as §îlvër-§érpênt

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Candy! Taste like Chicken, if Chicken was a Candy![/font]

Posted Image

"Since they are all going to go crazy anyway, may as well send crazy people in the first place and save the trouble..." -M

#8 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted August 29 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostUmbre, on August 29 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

I asked about modding the game a while ago. I was told that mods will not be supported.

Oh, finally good news.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#9 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostFakeName, on August 29 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Oh, finally good news.
I guess you like vanilla ice cream. :)

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

Spoiler

#10 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted August 29 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostHouruck, on August 29 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

View PostFakeName, on August 29 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Oh, finally good news.
I guess you like vanilla ice cream. :)

Yes I do :P

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#11 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted August 29 2013 - 08:48 AM

i just want a campaign.   i'll happily make up the story line, and i'll do the maps for free.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#12 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postangryhampster, on August 29 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

i just want a campaign.   i'll happily make up the story line, and i'll do the maps for free.

NSWF
Spoiler

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

Spoiler

#13 ChemicalX

ChemicalX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSnowmass Village, CO

Posted August 29 2013 - 09:04 AM

View Postangryhampster, on August 29 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

DO IT!!! I would LOVE a story driven mode! Something to dive even deeper into the world of Illial and the Hawken virus!

EDIT: Ill help.....Lets start the brainstorm!!!

Edited by ChemicalX, August 29 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#14 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted August 29 2013 - 09:21 AM

i'll have 2 story driven modes..

1 is single player,

the other is multi player campaign.

.  example,  team A has to 15 mins to strategically get to a defended area to steal "data."  to get the data, they have to stay there for 20 seconds to extract the data. then return to base.  they have to do this on 3 separate locations to win the game, or lose after the 15 min mark...  

for another campaign...a quick  missile assault to destroy the front gate, invade the fortress, kill everything, and then kill the ulimate mech prototype, equipped with 2 hellfire rockets, 2 tows,   2 vulcans, 2 assaults.   this ultimate mech leader is humongous btw.  kill the mech before reinforcements arrive.

--[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#15 Gunmoku

Gunmoku

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationThe mystical, magical land of Right Over There

Posted August 29 2013 - 10:32 AM

Supporting mods in a game like this wouldn't be the wisest move.  Hawken is a PvP-centered game, and a proper PvP game must maintain a minimal balance of some sort.  The player base isn't the absolute best resource for that, as ideas are all over the place.  Adhesive has the best grip on the situation and therefore should exercise proper control in balance and level construction (Opinions on the matter, however, do vary).

At most, I would like to see someone build a HUD tweaker for the game for us to make custom UI's in the game.  Things like moving graphical widgets around (HP and Boost bars, power cooldowns, EU gague, etc) or adjusting what prompts we see could be included as well.  But things beyond that I doubt we'd see in a game like this.

View PostRED_FIVE, on September 04 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

YER A RAIDER, HARRY.

#16 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 11:00 AM

Because other PvP centered games had no cool or even industry changing mods. Like Threewave Capture The Flag, Team Fortress or Counter Strike.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

Spoiler

#17 Gunmoku

Gunmoku

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationThe mystical, magical land of Right Over There

Posted August 29 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostHouruck, on August 29 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Because other PvP centered games had no cool or even industry changing mods. Like Threewave Capture The Flag, Team Fortress or Counter Strike.

There's a difference, those are "Total Conversions".  They took rulesets and base mechanics of another game and adopted it into a whole new one.  The term "Mod" is very broad, and sometimes a misnomer.  What people are proposing here are things like user-created content or mutators on custom servers.  These are sometimes mods, but a lot of times they're much more than that.  I'd love to see Hawken eventually adopt custom servers and a mutator system (i.e Zero-gravity, "big head mode", instant power cooldowns, etc. as rules on a server).

User-created content has its place and time, but I don't quite think Hawken can or would benefit from things like user-made maps or the like.  However, if such things were moderated and submitted for publishing (like Team Fortress 2 does), there is a great avenue there for some awesome content.  But obviously the skill floor needed to create levels in Unreal Development Kit (remember, Hawken runs on Unreal Engine) would be awfully high to the average user.  So the issue would be a need to create a special level editor that the average person would use and be able to easily submit content for, and that would cost a lot of time and money to divert studio resources to.

Edited by Gunmoku, August 29 2013 - 11:24 AM.

View PostRED_FIVE, on September 04 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

YER A RAIDER, HARRY.

#18 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted August 29 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hawken Art direction is so strong, any user generated content would take a lot of time to come close to what the game already provide.
I think the best way would be a level editor (maybe as a separate .exe) but based and using only ADH made assets.

A level editor could create some income if they monetize assets thru MC (to moders, not players) like paintjob or mech parts
there will be a "base" asset pack (wich could be slowly expanded) and premium assets packs even some limited themed assets pack like haloween, xmas, etc.. some packs can be based on the various lore of the Hawken graphic novel. That could even be pushed farther by linking some maps specific achievements to unlocking new assets.

I don't see theses maps to be made available in PVP matches maps rotations because of balance issue / abuse
that would alter the core game too much

However it could shine as an ever growing content for the upcoming coop-PVE mode, allowing and giving the tools to expand the Hawken universe and depht AND make money out of it =)

The other big part of this, is how it will be organized in the game,
It can be linked to your account with slots, if a player want to create many many maps he'll need to buy more slots
MapMakers should be able to test drive maps with friends, to share and download maps maybe via a dedicated website _
User can decide to submit his map to public if he think it could be popular and fun enough to share his hard work,
Every month some "Maps of the month", can win cool prize, there could be map contests  : ie : " Hawken Chronicles Map Contest "
Again with prizes (MC) that could possibly allow the full refund of all the assets aquired

That would obviously require a ton of work for the devs, but if well done, that could be a big thing

(i had theses ideas after watching the Disney Infinity Review lol..)

Posted Image

#19 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostGunmoku, on August 29 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

There's a difference, those are "Total Conversions".
Wait, CTF is a Total Conversion_ You are right about the other two (Edit: Quake 1 Team Fortress was not a TC), but I could say other mods like Jailbreak (mentioned in the introduction interview of [HWK]sarchasm), Rocket Arena or CPMA.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made a lots of skins (not just "fullbright"), cfg macros (for drops, TDM/CTF chat, DM taunts), sound (timers are still allowed in the Quake 2 competitive scene) and HUD changes and even maps for Quake 2 back in the day.
Edit: [URH] was the name of my clan: United Radioactive Hamsters :D

A publisher/developer moderated user generated content system for camos and elite skins (not mech parts) would be more than awesome. If it is too much to regulate just do it with already approved clans.

Edited by Houruck, August 29 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

Spoiler

#20 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted August 29 2013 - 06:18 PM

The thought of player generated maps makes me drool..
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users