HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New level proof of concepts.

Project Community

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationRunning around like a Chicken.

Posted August 25 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have several basic sketches that I am planning on using to develop proof of concept levels using the Unreal Engine. These would all be intended for Hawken of course in some distant future where we are given (Fingers crossed) access to the Editor. I'm going to provide some back story for each level also.

EDIT: I am currently using the July 2013 UDK, Autodesk 3ds Max, Photoshop, Blender and Unity for this project! Screenshots coming promptly.

If a modding community emerges for this game, prepare to play some CTF also!

====================================================================================

"Hydro"

Features - forest, caves, river, shallow lake, hillsides.

Story - Opposing forces in the hostile foothills of a forest, battle for control of the last remaining intact Hydro power plant, the key to securing the region.

Modes - Siege, TDM, Missile Assault.
(Additional game modes modified for DM and <CTF>)

Emphasis - Mid-Long range combat.

Posted Image

Dam/Base 2 details.

Posted Image

Middle section details.

Posted Image

Base 1 and misc details.

Posted Image

====================================================================================

"Demanufacture"

Features - Fully indoor map (modified patios for MA game type)

Story - A secret facility lost during the great war has been uncovered by opposing forces. This facility was once used as a research and development complex, and holds the key to revitalizing battle worn Mechs.

Modes - DM, TDM.
(Additional game modes modified for Missile Assault)

Emphasis - Z-Axis fighting.

Top floor.

Posted Image

Bottom floor.

Posted Image

"Ski Village"

Features - Snow, Mountain terrain, caves.

A regionally strategic mountain location featuring a long abandoned and dilapidated ski resort, falls under the bombs and bullets of battling Mechs striving for geographic dominance.

Modes - TDM, Missile Assault, Siege.
(Additional game modes modified for Capture the Flag)

Emphasis - Mid-Long range combat

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Satcon"

Features - forest, shallow pond, trenches, misc buildings w/ interiors.

Story - This control station monitors and directs orbital cannons and a dozen of the most advanced spy satellites ever deployed. The facility was stricken from the records, and many nations before the war protested for its decommission, citing "crimes against humanity".

Modes - All game modes.
(Additional game modes modified for <Infiltration>)

Emphasis - Close-Mid range combat.

Posted Image

All for now, thanks for viewing!

Please feel free to leave comments if you wish.

I had been asked about a snow level, so I included that feature with Ski Village.

Edited by Xer06siX, August 29 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Previously known as §îlvër-§érpênt

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Candy! Taste like Chicken, if Chicken was a Candy![/font]

Posted Image

"Since they are all going to go crazy anyway, may as well send crazy people in the first place and save the trouble..." -M

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted August 25 2013 - 03:36 PM

Pretty cool, although you misspelled siege as "seige" in a picture or two :P This is definitely something i'd like to see.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 03:38 PM

The dam map should have an option to blow up the dam, so the map could be cleared from all opposition for a short while :)

#4 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostSilverfire, on August 25 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Pretty cool, although you misspelled siege as "seige" in a picture or two :P This is definitely something i'd like to see.

Thanks, corrected.

XD

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Candy! Taste like Chicken, if Chicken was a Candy![/font]

Posted Image

"Since they are all going to go crazy anyway, may as well send crazy people in the first place and save the trouble..." -M

#5 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted August 25 2013 - 11:38 PM

Wow that's a pretty ambitious project, and it's awesome ! I really like the dam idea ! Good luck !
I don't know how they will play in competitive modes, balancing them would a huge work, but they could be awesome co-op maps ! that would give you more freedom on the design, and you can add a boss and unseen mechs =P (like the Modius WASP)

https://www.facebook...643978625614612

Posted Image

Edited by erathic, August 26 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 07:52 AM

"Hydro" Details emerging.

Very rough and basic terrain geometry taking shape. I have "walked" this space and everything check out to scale. Terrain size has been limited to NumPatchesX/Y = 64 to keep things more manageable. Final level size yet to be determined but most likely limited to under 256x256 patches.

Direction - facing the front side of the Dam base from the position of the observation tower located in the middle of the "dog leg".

Posted Image

The builder brush is used here to create the base geometry of the Dam structure. This will be supplemented later on with static meshes, to complete the final product.

Dam taking shape.

Posted Image

More updates coming when I have something more substantial!

Posted Image

#7 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 26 2013 - 08:19 AM

In my opinion - dont bother with brushes. There are real problems there with lighting and other stuff plus it will speed up your development if you model things first and then bash the map together. Not to mention it will steer you into saving resources / recycle objects which is always a plus and recommended with UDK.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#8 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 08:20 AM

Also I'm pretty sceptical about devs letting out an editor... Maybe in like 2020, when the Tech finally gets the boot and those invisible objects on Bazaar are deleted.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#9 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted August 26 2013 - 08:39 AM

Nice ideas, the damn map reminds me of Half Life.

#10 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 08:40 AM

Yep an editor would be a ton of work,.. is there any UE game supporting such feature _

Maybe something like the Halo map editor (with a better Interface) could work _ you dont modeling anything and terrain is pre-defined, you are just putting stuffs (from a object library) here and there until the "max objects" limit is reached.

that could help the game especially if a co-op / bot training is on the work

In Halo, fan made maps are fun but quality and look are globally not very good, so I don't know if this could work / worth devs time

Edited by erathic, August 26 2013 - 08:41 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 01:01 PM

View Postdavek1979, on August 26 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

In my opinion - dont bother with brushes. There are real problems there with lighting and other stuff plus it will speed up your development if you model things first and then bash the map together. Not to mention it will steer you into saving resources / recycle objects which is always a plus and recommended with UDK.

100% agree, however there are not many assets available to me at this time so I have to create all the very basic structures with BSP. I have vegetation, some decorative pieces and rocks so far. I gotta make everything from scratch.

@Erathic A majority of Unreal Engine based games have been released along with the editor (some came later in patches or available as a seperate download.) It takes little effort to include the package along with the install.exe

The only problem is getting support for a modding community from the developers. Everything else is cake and time.

Edited by Xer06siX, August 26 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 01:02 PM

Those sketches.. oh boy.. it's piece of modern art! Jackson Pollock would be so proud! ;)

But I get the idea and it kinda reminds me Killzone 3 Operation Frozen Dam:

Killzone 3 had fantastic multiplayer ideas - 'Operations' were 3 phase objective based team vs team multiplayer experience with amazing quality in-game cutscenes showing players with best scores when completing each phase.

I know the Meteor/Adhesive budget is not Sony's budget but the Devs all the time were aiming so high earlier & Hawken team should aim for it too!

#13 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 02:59 PM

After some minor terrain refinements and painting.

Overview of map Hydro.

Posted Image

Dam in a "mock up" position.

Posted Image

The approach to Base 1 (with vehicles for scale reference) which is located at and within the Dam.

Posted Image

Another shot of the top, soon the Dam and the rest of the map will be populated with static meshes. The basic blocking of the level is almost complete then it will be time for some test "walks". after which decorating, lighting, scripting and refining can begin!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Rasti

Rasti

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted August 26 2013 - 03:51 PM

Lookin' really good so far!

I'm really looking forward to the finished products. :D

Jonnywithanh said:

yes you can be yoda

#15 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted August 26 2013 - 05:41 PM

good luck you have my support :D
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#16 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:29 PM

Are UDK vehicles representative of the size of Hawken mech _ Maybe you should acquire a model of any Hawken mech for scale reference.
UDK vehicles might be completely out of scale and you run the risk of the whole map being out of scale which isn't the biggest of problems when it comes to scaling meshes up, but a real pain if your low-res texture is suddenly stretched on a two or three times bigger mesh.

#17 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 04:19 AM

View Posthendman, on August 25 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

The dam map should have an option to blow up the dam, so the map could be cleared from all opposition for a short while :)

Levolution in Hawken _ hehe would be cool indeed !

Posted Image

#18 Preternatural

Preternatural

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLurking in the Tunnels of Origin

Posted August 27 2013 - 04:24 AM

LOOK AT THOSE DAM IDEAS! :P

pun, pun,pun...

In all seriousness, good work! Hope to see something like this in the future of the game! Keep it up!
Posted Image

#19 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 04:40 AM

here's some concept arts I found, that can maybe inspire you for the Hydro map

mercs dam by jonone :

Posted Image

Dam building by jonone :

Posted Image

Future Dam City by WardLindhout

Posted Image

The River - jungle environment by FrancescoCorvino

Posted Image

Archteype opening shot by FrancescoCorvino

Posted Image

Arcadia Colony Dam ARC-02 by wester

Posted Image

X Men 2 - Alkali Dam Aerial by MarkGoerner

Posted Image

more here

Posted Image

#20 Modius

Modius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted August 27 2013 - 07:53 AM

I would be interested in doing some environment objects!! Although I would probably be best suited to helping you in the concept stages erathic :) Awesome idea mate as always and thankyou for the mention of the Wasp!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project, Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users