HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Oceania + South Asia + North Asia players

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 newkah

newkah

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted September 15 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just wondering what is your latency across these regions.

I know some players from Oceania (Australia) and North Asia (Japan, China and Hong Kong) can get pretty decent ping when they play in South Asia servers, i.e. around 80ms-90ms. However, South Asia players like myself get much worst latency if we play outside our region, e.g. I get 160ms in North Asia, 180ms in Oceania, and a whopping 250-300ms in US/UK, compared to the ~50 ms I get in South Asia, which makes competitive play a bit of a challenge.

If people can get fairly decent latency in South Asia, maybe we can start more games there as a hub for these three regions and build up the player base on this side of the world.

There are a bunch of decent South Asia players and surely they are all itching for a good fair fight against people from other regions.

Latency/Ping for Oceania - Asia players:

Posted Image

You can also use http://cloudping.info/ to check your latency. (Thanks for the link Ashfire908)

Edited by newkah, December 19 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#2 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted September 15 2013 - 08:07 PM

Singapore (the actual location for "South Asia") has the worst routing I've ever seen. While the physical location would seem like it would be the best for a hub location for Asia/Australia, the god awful routing between those places and South Asia would seem to prevent that. They tried merging the servers for those three locations into one name in the game in a previous patch, and that went terribly due to pings to different locations and how hit or miss games would be depending on what region you ended up in.

For context:

Asia North = Japan
Asia South = Singapore
Oceania = Australia
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#3 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 15 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, unfortunately it didn't work, at all.

It almost killed the population entirely for all three regions, we are only now just beginning to recover properly. Unfortunately this new system is preventing us from starting many games due to the low population and high ranks of the regular players.

#4 newkah

newkah

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted September 15 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yeah I remember when that snafu happened. It ended up turning off a significant amount of players from all three regions and they never came back.

Nowadays we have to organize playtime amongst the remaining few to get matches going and potentially attract a few new players along the way. Just thinking it would be much easier if there is some kind of unity between these three regions considering we all have the same problem.

PS: I'm not saying to remove Oceania and North Asia regions like they did last time, but to use South Asia as a place to consolidate and meet with new players as we can cover more timezones in one region (assuming you get an acceptable ping). All it takes is a few players to start a game in one place and the rest of the players will normally just jump in, otherwise they will straight away hit US and get lost in the mix.

Edited by newkah, September 15 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#5 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 15 2013 - 08:46 PM

Well for reference, I play from the bottom of Australia and get 40-50 ping to the Oceanic servers when everything is working correctly. When playing on South Asia, I have never seen it lower than 180. North Asia is worse again; it's easier to just play on US West where there are constant games and deal with 250 ping.

There are a couple of players who live right out on the west coast who are able to get the speeds you are talking about when connected to Asia South but most of the population is from not only the east coast of Aus but New Zealand as well.

Edited by Aims, September 15 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#6 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Perth

Posted September 15 2013 - 09:04 PM

I played a few Asia South games lately and got a fantastic ping. ~80
Oceania is about 60~100 for me. iinet, west coast. 1up / 8down

250+ ping is hard going when playing USW. Gotta have a strong FU to take the 'no bullets are hitting' rage and stay calm.
Shooting myself, for damage perks

#7 Quest

Quest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 15 2013 - 09:24 PM

Just jumped on the DM SA servers to check out my ping from New Zealand and got a fairly constant ~150ms. It's rougly 100ms less than i get from US servers (250) but also about 100 more than the Aus servers (60).

UK was about 320, NA was hugely erratic, jumping numbers inbetween 310-340 constantly.

Edit: Cloudping stats:
US-East (Virginia) 258 ms
US-West (California) 212 ms
US-West (Oregon) 194 ms
Europe (Ireland) 312 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore)144 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 48 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 169 ms
South America (Brazil) 389 ms

Edited by Quest, September 17 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#8 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted September 15 2013 - 09:39 PM

http://cloudping.info/ seems to be a good benchmark for ping comparisons, though ideally you'll want to use an actual ping program to average it and give you a better number than a one-off (over http, which might have some additional lag over a normal ping). All the numbers will probably be higher in-game though.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#9 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted September 16 2013 - 02:36 AM

Heresy why not surreptitiously route some of the American servers through Australia we all get some improvement and we find out how good our American player friends  are when they have to cope with a ping of +300. I better scamper off to the bunker in anticipation of the outburst!

#10 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Perth

Posted September 16 2013 - 02:45 AM

US-East (Virginia) 307 ms
US-West (California) 308 ms
US-West (Oregon) 308 ms
Europe (Ireland) 470 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 69 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 80 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 163 ms
South America (Brazil) 615 ms  

Looks like I should be playing on South Asia servers abit more often.

Edited by tropt, September 16 2013 - 02:47 AM.

Shooting myself, for damage perks

#11 Grogovich

Grogovich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted September 16 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hi Guys

Attached is a screenshot of quite a few Australians playing in South Asia. This started due to all Oceania servers being down / unable to join even though they were in the master list.

Note that Miu (76) I believe is from Malaysia. Bulletfodder (192), Juju (212), DarkMist (176) from Australia East Coast, and myself (472) in Perth (Australia West Coast).

For some reason my ping in South Asia is always > 450, which is worse than me playing in the US (~300), even though geographically I am the closest (note I retested this and this is the normal for me).

Some more stats for you guys :)

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot00103.jpg

#12 Grogovich

Grogovich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted September 16 2013 - 05:57 AM

And using that website, my stats from Perth (Western Australia) is the following:

US-East (Virginia)                334 ms
US-West (California)            251 ms
US-West (Oregon)               278 ms
Europe (Ireland)                  409 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore)      434 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney)          97 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan)             357 ms
South America (Brazil)         461 ms

Edited by Grogovich, September 16 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#13 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 16 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'm pretty sure Miu is Wen's housemate,

View PostGrogovich, on September 16 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

Hi Guys

Attached is a screenshot of quite a few Australians playing in South Asia. This started due to all Oceania servers being down / unable to join even though they were in the master list.

Note that Miu (76) I believe is from Malaysia. Bulletfodder (192), Juju (212), DarkMist (176) from Australia East Coast, and myself (472) in Perth (Australia West Coast).

For some reason my ping in South Asia is always > 450, which is worse than me playing in the US (~300), even though geographically I am the closest (note I retested this and this is the normal for me).

Some more stats for you guys :)

This is what I mean, exactly. There's something really weird about the way it's wired.

Also I'm pretty sure Miu is Wen's housemate in WA aswell lol.

#14 newkah

newkah

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted September 16 2013 - 06:41 AM

Thanks guys. Updated the first post with the new info.

Sorry to hear about your latency Grogovich. It does look really weird. I would have thought you would at least get something similar to tropt or miu since they are also from Perth. Some players from India sometimes also get fluctuating ping but I have not seen anything as horrendous as yours.

Edited by newkah, September 16 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#15 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 16 2013 - 06:53 AM

I tried to play a game on Asia South after Grog posted that. I was also getting ping fluctuating from 200-400 every minute or so. It was weird.

#16 Shichi

Shichi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationBangkok,Thailand

Posted September 16 2013 - 08:17 PM

US-East (Virginia) 432 ms
US-West (California) 307 ms
US-West (Oregon)    306 ms   
Europe (Ireland)   366 ms  
Asia Pacific (Singapore)    62 ms   
Asia Pacific (Sydney)    185 ms   
Asia Pacific (Japan)   184 ms   
South America (Brazil)   549 ms

I'm from Thailand. : )

Edited by Shichi, September 16 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#17 ThroneOfThunder

ThroneOfThunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted September 16 2013 - 10:01 PM

I've never joined a match in north asia or oceania, and i get about 100-150 in south asia. Well, i am from south asia, but my ISP is based around mid-asia. I assume i'll get about the same ping in north asia and a laggy gameplay in oceania. I agree on combining these regions if it doesn't affect the ping of players from either of these regions, or break the server apart. Great idea :D
Posted Image

#18 aToastfan

aToastfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted September 16 2013 - 10:07 PM

Alrighty, here's where my pings at in the local regions.

Oceania - 60ms
Asia South - 150ms
Asia North - 280ms
USW - 180ms
USE - 250ms

I had no idea it was so good in Asia South! I'd happily play there over USW in the interest of getting more activity on this side of the planet.

If/whenever there's enough Oceanic players I'll probably still play in there though.

Edited by aToastfan, September 16 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#19 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted September 16 2013 - 10:39 PM

US-East (Virginia) 318 ms
US-West (California) 229 ms
US-West (Oregon) 258 ms
Europe (Ireland) 372 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 206 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 86 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 238 ms
South America (Brazil) 412 ms

So yeah, looks I'm still gonna be stuck in Oceania.

Edited by SirCannonFodder, September 16 2013 - 10:41 PM.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#20 kennyworker

kennyworker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:52 AM

US-East (Virginia) 240 ms
US-West (California) 151 ms
US-West (Oregon) 179 ms
Europe (Ireland) 324 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 96 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 162 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 69 ms
South America (Brazil) 336 ms

I'm from Taiwan

Edited by kennyworker, September 17 2013 - 01:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users