HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mech advancement woes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted November 03 2013 - 11:41 PM

I've been playing Hawken for a month or two now, and have maxed out my Fred, as well as a Bruiser.  I then saved up some HC and dove into a reaper.  I understand that this mech has a different playing style, but I can;t seem to find a groove while driving the reaper.  I went from getting a K/D ratio greater than 1 about 60% of the time to having my pelvic servos handed to me 100% of the time.  

If you have seen me play ( I know, sometimes it's good... for a laugh :lol:), let me know what I can do to improve my playing style_

crash and burn!

Posted Image

"Sometimes, You just gotta die... just to get your items back." - Mogote

#2 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted November 03 2013 - 11:56 PM

Stalwart reaper pilots have been complaining that it's underpowered atm so that might be a factor.

Reaper is a second line mech. You don't take part in the frontline assault you flank or hang behind the main pack hitting every enemy that sticks his head out for anything. You pick off retreating mechs and harass those already fighting. You don't 1v1 you make sure every fight you are in range of becomes a 2v1 with you tipping the scales in your team's favour simply because all you need is line of sight to contribute.

And watch for flanking scouts and infiltrators.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#3 RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 04 2013 - 12:03 AM

Reaper is one of those mechs that you will find yourself getting a lot of assists.  Use the AM-SAR, as that is more potent, and keep in mind that using the scope increases your damage by a little bit, so use that whenever you can.  Your ability is best saved for the times in which you cannot avoid close combat.  Also keep in mind that when you reach Rank 3, you can unlock the Slug Rifle.  If you decide to use it, keep in mind that you will need to alter your playstyle as a result, since the Slug is so different from the Ripper or SAR.

Keep your distance as much as possible.  The Reaper is all about Mid-range.  Do as much damage as you can to as many mechs as you can see, as every little bit of damage helps in team fights.

#4 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted November 04 2013 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the Advice!

I think I've played a match with you, RespawningJesus.  If you can remember my efforts, would you have any critiques_

Posted Image

#5 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 04 2013 - 12:10 AM

If you haven't played for very long, there is a promo code you can use called NEWRECRUIT

It will double your XP for 3 days time, use it on a weekend as you only get it once and you probably want to get some good use out of it. I'm level 23 and only just did it today :S Helped me get my predator though :)

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#6 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted November 04 2013 - 12:15 AM

Fingerknitter, I have used that already, and have use INVASION for 2X HC boost for 24 hours. came in very handy for my Bruiser.  Igor was maxed out in a week - half the time of my Derf. ^_^

Posted Image

#7 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 04 2013 - 12:24 AM

View Postcoldform, on November 04 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

Fingerknitter, I have used that already, and have use INVASION for 2X HC boost for 24 hours. came in very handy for my Bruiser.  Igor was maxed out in a week - half the time of my Derf. ^_^

lol then I just feel silly now ><

(I didn't know about the invasion one either...)

BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#8 RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 04 2013 - 01:48 AM

View Postcoldform, on November 04 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

Thanks for the Advice!

I think I've played a match with you, RespawningJesus.  If you can remember my efforts, would you have any critiques_

Sadly, I don't remember you.  I tend to focus on myself more so that I can improve upon my skills.  But I will try to keep my eye out for you, however, I will make no promises.

#9 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted November 04 2013 - 05:09 AM

Well could you record video of gameplay/stream/youtube_  
Lots of us could also benefit from hearing analysis of gameplay_  

Reaper is tougher to get used to these days.  Are you using slug rifle_  The "best" style seems to be moving in and out of cover to quickly snipe people.  It's a lot different than the point and hold style of play most beginning CRTs/Bruisers use.  

One other thingto consider is that your pilot level may be such now that you're playing against more experienced players.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#10 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted November 04 2013 - 06:41 AM

@DFTR:  That is a great idea!  I will record a match or two today,  And hopefully be able to provide comments on my thoughts at the time.  And as far as player level goes, I'm at level 20 so competitor experience is most definitly a factor, but one I tend to ignore - more highly tuned mechs play a role in gameplay, but to me, it seems player skill is still the largest factor.

I am living proof that pilot level != player skill.

Posted Image

#11 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted November 04 2013 - 06:47 AM

Great.  Looking forward to seeing it.  I'm thinking of doing same thing but I'm not brave enough to post it here!  I may ask a clanmate or two for feedback.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#12 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted November 04 2013 - 09:50 AM

Alas, the age of my computer is starting to show.  I have fine-tuned both in-game graphics settings and video capture settings, but it's six of one and half a dozen of the other - either I get a good video with the game at ~26  FPS, or decent FPS and a shoddy video.  I will continue to work this out throughout the day, but I can't promise anything at this point.

Posted Image

#13 Funjifore

Funjifore

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMUSHROOMS!

Posted November 04 2013 - 10:19 AM

As a longtime Reaper pilot, I would have advised the Berserker first for a newbie getting into A-mechs, but the Reaper is still viable. Sometimes a challenge is good too :P.
The success of your Reaper depends heavily on how good your team is. If your team can hold a front line, then a Reaper will be able to pick out targets, but if your front line keeps collapsing, you die in seconds, even if you hit all of your shots. Reapers don't have dps. Even when you hit all of your shots, the sum total is disappointing. What they do have is consistent alpha. That's slightly different than either pure alpha or dps.

I like to use the Slug Reaper. The strategy for that is peekaboo. keep your distance (mid-long) and always have a spot of cover ready. Shoot at everything that you can hit. Don't take a shot unless you can hit it.
It's also pretty good for countersniping, as the Reaper's A-frame makes it fast enough to throw off the aim of most Sharpshooters. The Reaper's ability can be useful in close quarters, but it's useful for peekaboo/countersnipe tactics too. If you have to dodge a lot, a steady aim is critical.

You won't get many points playing this way, but you will suppress the enemy/potentially get a lot of kills (Example, I have a 1.6 KDR on mine, but only 139 points per minute, and that is mostly pre-Ascension stats).

One thing the Reaper isn't: it is NOT a mini Sharpshooter, even if they share the same weapons. It can't deal out a lot of alpha damage like the Sharpshooter can. A Reaper's strength is in its pilot's ability to hit things consistently. It is a marksman, not a sniper. It's meant to tag along behind the pack and, I can't stress this enough, HIT EVERYTHING.
I like mushrooms! And I bring good luck!

#14 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted November 04 2013 - 02:43 PM

Played a Little with my reaper today - a couple of TDMs and a full siege.

Seige was interesting - the enemy is fixated on a single location, so zipping around the periphery and taking potshots seemed to be the order of the day.  I was effective at giving my team an edge on damage,  but the feeling of helping my team take and hold the AA just wasn't there.  I also seemed to get cornered a lot.  It seems I was at the wrong side a lot of ragekill action.

zoomed in and suppressing forward motion helped me understand that one hellfire and a sabot round was enough to send me back to the launchpad.

as for TDM - I have only three words:

single digit scores.

my reaper - when being driven by me - gets killed alot.  this is going to be one long uphill battle trying to get it right. I am either too close and become an easy target, or to far for my team to truly be effective.

oof.

Posted Image

#15 anti_citizen

anti_citizen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 03:40 PM

If you plink from afar, use the mobility of the A-frame, and save your accuracy boost for when people get in your face, I think you can do well. The only reason the sabot rifles aren't the best weapon in the game is that they can miss when unscoped, which forces you to scope, which makes it difficult to hit stuff when people get in your face. If you use your accuracy boost when people are close, you can fire unscoped. And remember, the closer the enemy mech is to you, the more of its body takes up your screen, which gives you a greater chance of hitting them with an unscoped sabot. Don't be afraid to get really close sometimes to guarantee a hit.

#16 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted November 04 2013 - 06:24 PM

This is a great video from Umbre showing how the Reaper can be effective.

#17 UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted November 04 2013 - 11:49 PM

Honestly, I think the SS is just better for the average pilot.
The Reaper is lacking the one SS weapon that would fit well with it's ability, the hawkins.
Though I suppose a Vulcan would also work. :P
Great video, certainly, but there is skill involved.
How about a Snowflake Holo Emote_

If an enemy fires on me, intent to take my life, I can fight back, or I can turn and flee.
But if a "friendly" tech comes by, intent to take my dignity, I can do nothing.

#18 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted November 05 2013 - 04:51 AM

I think the AM-SAR used to be closer in function to the SA-Hawkins; but now it's been hit w/ an 8% damage reduction.  I don't think I've seen many SS w/ AM-SAR even though that's our prestige weapon.  That being said, now that I've started playing SS, I find it a bit more natural to play Reaper w/ slug rifle.  

However I do agree that SS is probably better for most pilots.  The extra health is a boon and the heavier burst damage helps.
Reaper used to feel a lot more nimble than SS, now the difference doesn't seem enough to offset the burst damage/health benefits.

#19 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 05 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostUnDeaD_CyBorG, on November 04 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

Honestly, I think the SS is just better for the average pilot.
The Reaper is lacking the one SS weapon that would fit well with it's ability, the hawkins.
Though I suppose a Vulcan would also work. :P
Great video, certainly, but there is skill involved.

Omg Vulcans xD

BlackSteelBrotherhood

#20 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 04:25 PM

I feel your pain. I was almost exclusively a Reaper player for a long time, but since Ascension I can't keep up in it. I think I'm a little like you, I'm also an example of pilot-level != skill (skill being < pilot level.) Since Ascension I've had more luck in B-class mechs (Brusier specifically.)

However, I've been using my Reaper again in Co-Op Bot Destruction to take out bots very quickly. At the beginning of the match, I find an active release pod (or whatever those things that bots come out of are called), find a position that gives me LOS but a little cover, scope in, and pick off as many as possible. Also to make up for the light armor I keep hitting 5 to upgrade armor whenever I can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users