HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Big One: Burst vs Sustain

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 16 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostGunho23, on April 15 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

Yeah I'm new here but I don't quite understand the thinking behind burst is better simply because you aren't exposed as much....why just because you have a sustain weapon must you use it constantly_  Use secondary pulse weapons to flush the enemy out and sustain to finish them as they run away.

In my opinion there's no good reason to have two burst weapons simply because you'll be kicking yourself when you have taken that one player down to nothing but he runs behind a corner before your burst has a chance to reload...he got away.  Why limit yourself to one tool set when you can carry both_

The enemy won't have that chance to run away if you already kill him with 2 burst weapons.
2 burst weapons > 1 burst weapon simply due to firepower.

Also: only reason to run away from a Scout in a 1v1, the fastest class in the game,
is to burst it in the  face when it rounds the corner.

Edited by Meraple, April 16 2014 - 02:08 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#42 Gunho23

Gunho23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostMeraple, on April 16 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Yeah I'm new here but I don't quite understand the thinking behind burst is better simply because you aren't exposed as much....why just because you have a sustain weapon must you use it constantly_  Use secondary pulse weapons to flush the enemy out and sustain to finish them as they run away.

In my opinion there's no good reason to have two burst weapons simply because you'll be kicking yourself when you have taken that one player down to nothing but he runs behind a corner before your burst has a chance to reload...he got away.  Why limit yourself to one tool set when you can carry both_

The enemy won't have that chance to run away if you already kill him with 2 burst weapons.

Also: only reason to run away from a Scout in a 1v1, the fastest class in the game,

Yeah if you can hit him...others were saying it's very difficult to maintain a steady stream of fire with a sustain weapon because the game play is too fast....I find that to be false.

Also:  I didn't know we were a scout in this situation....I play infiltrator, if they run around a corner I bounce a grenade in there instead of giving chase.

#43 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostGunho23, on April 16 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

View PostMeraple, on April 16 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Yeah if you can hit him...others were saying it's very difficult to maintain a steady stream of fire with a sustain weapon because the game play is too fast....I find that to be false.

Also:  I didn't know we were a scout in this situation....I play infiltrator, if they run around a corner I bounce a grenade in there instead of giving chase.

Gameplay too fast to maintain a steady stream of fire_
That's simply bad aim, and I agree with you that that's false.

Only way your grenade would hit would be if the enemy'd be sitting RIGHT behind the corner, like an idiot.
Ofcourse you could try bouncing it off against the wall for more reach, but unless you're playing against bad players, it won't hit.
People who actually know what they're doing will stay back a bit from the corner,
and thus they'll have enough time to react to your slow-travelling Grenade.

Also: I wasn't saying you WERE a Scout in the situation.
         Actually read before replying, thanks.

Edited by Meraple, April 16 2014 - 08:38 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#44 pipebomb

pipebomb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 04:54 AM

If sustain weapons are such lackluster compared to bursth, why not just bump all mech's armor to 500-900_
Oh wait...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users