HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Bringing back the Map HUD Keybind (w/ Improvements)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 07:46 PM

This is a topic started almost 1 year and 2 months ago, during Closed Beta Event 1. Some newer players may not be familiar with it, but the map keybind was potentially a great tool for map strategy/tactics. It was basically a heads-up-display that showed where your allies were over the entire map overhead map image, denoted by arrows+lines connecting to player names. Hawken is mostly a mech-based FPS. It already has that FPS feel, but needs this more mech-like element brought back to compliment the others (large health bars, fuel/boosting, heat being built up on weapons, etc.) It would also possibly make scrimming a heck of a lot more fun.

This was removed around the time of Ascension (or before) and was told it would be eventually brought back. The distance in meters you are from your ally by looking at their tag should also come back (helpful when they are off the radar).

I really like the idea of the map, for all team-based game modes. It can be useful for checking which nodes your allies are at or where they are going. VOIP helps a lot, but if your ally is off the radar and kiting, one should be able to quickly and easily pull up the map and know exactly how far they are and what area requires your presence most. I rarely if ever use it in its current state, however. The biggest problems (at least back then) were:

Spoiler

TL,DR;
Allow mech movement while the map is displayed. Rework it so it doesn't have lines leading to names. Allow a bindable key for Set Focus Point or even have it set to right-mouse click. Allow the map to be viewable while depositing EU in the airlifter at base. Last but really important, have the map display your team's base at the south and enemy team's base at the north part of the map.

Other ideas:
  • Holding down a key to display the map (like the way repair bind works for repair) and let go for it to go back up.
  • Setting additional waypoints via drag-able line markers
  • Also, would like to see the enemy signatures that an ally sees on their radar from far away through your map (so you are rewarded by knowing what they know if you use your map). If this were too drastic, possible factors to offset could be a short cooldown for this 'enhanced map radar'.
  • This would also make portable scanners much better! If you had your map open, and an enemy walked through scanner range on one side of the map, you would be able to see their signature (and keep a proper enemy headcount).
Source links (also had earlier player feedback): PS: If anyone has an old screenshot of the map heads-up-display, please post it or pm it to me so we can better illustrate it here. Until then, I will leave a placeholder image of just the old radar.

Posted Image
[Not the Map HUD]

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#2 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted December 13 2013 - 10:14 PM

they said they will improve and bring it back right_ (~6 months ago)

- lok'tar ogar -

#3 Hink

Hink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA ,FL

Posted December 18 2013 - 04:08 PM

This sound awesome, & simple enough to do. There's nothing to complicated about making any of this possible, but I will have to say it will have to either be done by the community or the dev team themselves. Either way the idea of making the map key-binded isn't bad at all, it's down right need in team based combat(ma, tdm & sg) while this idea of the key bind thing is possible as soon as the next update, the other ideas will have to wait till later time, has I'm guessing it'll start to mess with frame rates & connection issues. Hmmn now that I think about it this does sound like a big project, the current hud design will probably have to be modified to fit all the map changes. The old hud design had it's up & downs, but so does this current one too.

#4 Greenvalv

Greenvalv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 06:45 AM

I don't remember the old map, but I do know how useful the map is in PlanetSide 2 with setting waypoints/objectives and whatnot.
Posted Image

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted December 19 2013 - 01:47 PM

It would be nice to have this, because it sucks when you head out to a teammate calling for help and then you realize he/she's really far away.  It can also improve teamwork as well, as people can get more organized to fight together.

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 19 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostCulex, on December 13 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

PS: If anyone has an old screenshot of the map heads-up-display, please post it or pm it to me so we can better illustrate it here. Until then, I will leave a placeholder image of just the old radar.

Posted Image

This is one of the aspects of the game which still I consider to be an step back. Besides the new location of the map -which in my personal case has been an stab in the.. well.. maybe only certain individuals have a serious issue with the new radar's location, maybe there's people who can not pay attention to such an important display placed on the bottom left of the screen... anyway, I'm unfortunately one of these.. and my performance went down aprox. a 30% or so due to that..- Sooo.. I'm rambling; my apologies.. :)

The current directional and limited sight you see and is displayed as background for your radar should positively rather be like the old approach, I do completely agree on that.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#7 Sam123456

Sam123456

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 11:21 AM

I think it would be nice if you could put arrows or markers on the map that would show up for your own team.

I suppose it might be subject to abuse, but it could potentially help with coordination a good bit.

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 21 2013 - 11:43 AM

IMHO, the main problem with the V map was that you were not able to drive your mech -AFAIK at least via keyboard control keys- when you had it opened. Some degree of transparency for the V_map would be much appreciated as well.

The potential of this game feature should no be subestimated. :)

Edited by The_Silencer, December 21 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users