HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reaper_WTH vs SS

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Damnagic

Damnagic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 15 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

View PostPhysicsCrime, on December 14 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

He probably means AC as in "Armor Class" aka HP in this game.

I agree that the reaper is underpowered but I think this is mostly due to its crappy (useless) ability.  It also hurts it a bit that it's relatively slow for a class A.
Here's the thing.
The Reaper isn't underpowered.

It was purposefully designed with newbies in mind, so it's not too fast, and it's easy to use, which means it has to be weaker.
That means it has a fairly low average skill ceiling. Some people can get a lot of use out of it, to the point where it can be better than most other mechs out there, but that requires a lot of experience and skill to leverage it past it's general skill ceiling.

If you don't want the Reaper to be underpowered, it's less about needing to buff it, and more about needing to know how to get inventive with how you use it.

I'll agree that the ability needs to change however.

If it was purposefully designed with newbies in mind then why is it's price among the pricier A-Class mechs, delimiting it from newbie access_
If referring to getting access via rank then still makes no sense as max ranking SS is nowhere as fast as max ranking most other mechs.

Slower speed would be nothing but a hindrance to someone with limited knowledge about the game as instead of being able to rely on speed he/she has to think 100 steps ahead in an environment he presumably knows nothing about.
Ease of use is rather relative as it's only pros are "higher" mobility and hit scan weapons which instantly backfire due to the presumed lack of experience and thus missing vast majority of shots putting the poor newbie at an immense disadvantage once again.

Also this, "it's less about needing to buff it, and more about needing to know how to get inventive with how you use it." sure is newbie friendly having them invent a cart without telling them about "wheels" first.

Imo reaper and ss are failed products since currently their intended roles become impossible due their short comings and the need for balance. Solution would be removal of both and adding a single high damage low low armor mech, sniper/sharpshooter.
Alternatively they just could not exist as devs of games like this never seem to be able to implement sniper class properly.

#22 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted January 06 2014 - 09:04 PM

the reaper should have air dynamics on par to the bezerker (or better).  

then precision overdrive would make sence and be useful.

it'd also allow the reaper a more dynamic playstyle and raise the skill ceilling and defence options w/o buffing it's ttk.

Edited by phed, January 08 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#23 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 06:24 AM

I want to try adding a charge mechanic to the Sharpshooter's Sabot. While uncharged, the weapon does reduced damage. To charge the weapon, you must zoom in. There are multiple charge levels. The higher the charge, the more damage it does and the longer you need to zoom in. The charge timer resets with every shot. Weapon cool down is proportional to the charge level when the weapon fires. This should help differentiate the Reaper and Sharpshooter between mobile sniper vs. support sniper.

Edited by HugeGuts, January 24 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#24 Pixues

Pixues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 01:08 PM

So im new to the game and i came to the same conclusion.

Some things make zero sense.

The Reaper, described as 'a front line sniper' has 350 health. While the actual distant sniper has 470 health. < wut...
The Reaper, the 'front line sniper' has an accuracy boost ability, the sharpshooter...SHARPshooter doesn't have that ability but instead a power boost.

Is the sharpshooter a direct upgrade from the reaper_ just play it in the same style and still be perfectly ok_ or even better_

#25 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 17 2014 - 01:47 PM

View Postphed, on January 06 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

the reaper should have air dynamics on par to the bezerker (or better).  

then precision overdrive would make sence and be useful.

it'd also allow the reaper a more dynamic playstyle and raise the skill ceilling and defence options w/o buffing it's ttk.

The Zerker is insane enough with how it can fly, I don't think the Reaper would get anything out of it other than getting around hilly maps faster. Flying at Zerker speeds it's near impossible to hit anything past close range.

Reaper is better described as a main-line sniper, abillity has very limited use compared to everything else.
Tweaking the stats on it's primary weapons can help.

Edited by Stingz, February 20 2014 - 08:26 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#26 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostPixues, on February 17 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

So im new to the game and i came to the same conclusion.

Some things make zero sense.

The Reaper, described as 'a front line sniper' has 350 health. While the actual distant sniper has 470 health. < wut...
The Reaper, the 'front line sniper' has an accuracy boost ability, the sharpshooter...SHARPshooter doesn't have that ability but instead a power boost.

Is the sharpshooter a direct upgrade from the reaper_ just play it in the same style and still be perfectly ok_ or even better_

The sharpshooters secondary weapon is pretty terrible when not zoomed in which makes it not very goood a cqc.  I do agree however that the sharpshooter is generally better than the reaper in most ways.

#27 Viconaut

Viconaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 24 2014 - 01:01 AM

View PostThe_Valeyard, on December 14 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

I see no value to the Reaper as it sets up when you get it or down the line...it relies TOO MUCH on aim and using the scope to be of value....Maybe if it had it's own Tech with it it might creep up a little ont the totem pole.
Maybe with real dollar purchases it creates a better Mech, but then that is not fair to have to pay to win for this Mech vs others.

Everyone that is in their right mind is taking the SS over the Reaper because the Reaper just makes zero sense.

Oh I forgot to mention that the Reaper also has probably the slowest repair rate of all the Mechs.

Yes this is a Flame but I feel the Reaper "could" be a much better Mech. It has the speed but nothing else works with the speed it has at it's disposal.
there is no "real dollar purchase" you can make to any mech that is going to make it "better" this isn't a pay to win game, you cannot purchase power

Edited by Viconaut, February 24 2014 - 01:02 AM.

#28 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 24 2014 - 09:05 AM

After buying one and using it for a while Reaper is much more of a harasser than assassin. High speed means you can hit from just about anywhere if there's room.

Edited by Stingz, February 24 2014 - 09:05 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users