HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reaper_WTH vs SS

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 The_Valeyard

The_Valeyard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 01:47 PM

Ok so I decided to purchase the Reaper for the HC, just before the adjustment to HC. Go figure.

Anyhow I digress.

Who thought the Reaper was supposed to be designed this way vs the SS_
Has lower AC value, The sniper gun is lesser quality for the off hand, and the Am Sar as good as it is, the SS can also get it as their upgrade from their "lesser" Hawkins.

Shouldn't the AC values be swapped_
The SS is "supposed" to be a "ranged" sniper and the Reaper a mobile darter, akin to the Scout but with a mid range strength to it.
So How is it the Reaper has a crappy AC value when they are mostly in the face of other mechs, because that is the intent vs the SS who has a better AC value and is distance range_

I am going to guess the Slug the Reaper gets after unlocking is a better option for them then the AM Sar...but then why bother giving the SS the AM Sar when it unlocks____

I love the AmSar. Well it is a love hate relationship in that it loses accuracy the more you fire it and as if keeping it on target is not hard enough anyway, as well as shooting the KE Sabot while on the run...Accuracy for a mobile "assassin" type mech is out the window.

I see no value to the Reaper as it sets up when you get it or down the line...it relies TOO MUCH on aim and using the scope to be of value....Maybe if it had it's own Tech with it it might creep up a little ont the totem pole.
Maybe with real dollar purchases it creates a better Mech, but then that is not fair to have to pay to win for this Mech vs others.

Everyone that is in their right mind is taking the SS over the Reaper because the Reaper just makes zero sense.

Oh I forgot to mention that the Reaper also has probably the slowest repair rate of all the Mechs.

Yes this is a Flame but I feel the Reaper "could" be a much better Mech. It has the speed but nothing else works with the speed it has at it's disposal.

Edited by The_Valeyard, December 14 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 14 2013 - 01:53 PM

"AC value"_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted December 14 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 14 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

"AC value"_

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/AC

Posted Image

_

#4 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted December 14 2013 - 04:49 PM

So, I like that you don't get it, I like  that you don't play it, or for the most part many others.

I like playing Reaper, and I love doing well in it. You don't like it_ Go climb in a scout, its probably more your speed anyway.
Iligetimi carborundum est

#5 RUIN3D

RUIN3D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDevils Hole

Posted December 14 2013 - 06:41 PM

If you can't use it, you can't use it - no sense in complaining about your inability to use a certain mech. Try something else. I bought the Reaper and have bought a lot of additions for it. There is nothing you can purchase exclusively with cash that will improve how you play. Not sure why people don't get that - its all visual upgrades or things you can purchase with your HC.

Does the scout have better  cockpit Air Conditioning_ I didn't know that had an effect of gameplay.

#6 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 08:04 PM

He probably means AC as in "Armor Class" aka HP in this game.

I agree that the reaper is underpowered but I think this is mostly due to its crappy (useless) ability.  It also hurts it a bit that it's relatively slow for a class A.

#7 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 14 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostPhysicsCrime, on December 14 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

I agree that the reaper is underpowered but I think this is mostly due to its crappy (useless) ability.  It also hurts it a bit that it's relatively slow for a class A.

^ Pretty much this. The SS gets an awesome ability, one that I personally think it relies on too much to be relevant, and the one for the reaper is largely useless.

I think it should be WAY faster, like WAY faster.

Also, replace CU or Radar (doubt they will remove that novelty) with suspensions; this is actually for both the reaper and the SS. Don't need to tuning options that I avoid like the plague...

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#8 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, the Reaper really needs a buff. Even the SS starts to fall off the ladder once you reach the higher tiers even with its "Power Shot". The Reaper is just not fast enough and too fragile to play as a competitive frontline sniper. I still think they should just change the ability to an increased attack speed buff and change "Radar" to "Boost Thrusters" for added mobility. At least this would set it apart from the SS with power and the Reaper with speed.

#9 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:33 PM

The Reaper sure is an odd duck. It's ability is really useful with one weapon, somewhat helpful with another and marginal with it's prestige the Slug. But, it's also helpful in getting accurate shots in with it's secondary without being zoomed in, so theres that.

Personnally, I would like the Reaper to get a slight mobility buff along with the accuracy you get with it's ability. Either Hydraulics to keep up with its targets or a Suspension buff to be able to dodge like a mad man at close range.

Outside of it's ability though, I think the Reapers stats are where they should be.

#10 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:35 PM

I wouldn't exactly call 100% accuracy useless...
Posted Image

#11 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted December 14 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on December 14 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

It's not 100% accuracy if you can still miss :)

Edited by Rei, December 14 2013 - 10:12 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#12 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 11:18 PM

Compared to the 100% it has with slug and its secondary normally.  The only situation it helps with (if you use the slug) is using them in the air and I'm not sure why you would really need to do that.

#13 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 14 2013 - 11:50 PM

It is, because for a player who is hitting with his weapons, it adds nothing! At the VERY LEAST, the unscoped hits with precision overdrive should give the full damage of a scoped hit, but even then its hardly helpful at all -_-

BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#14 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 15 2013 - 01:13 AM

Here's the thing.
The Reaper isn't underpowered.

It was purposefully designed with newbies in mind, so it's not too fast, and it's easy to use, which means it has to be weaker.
That means it has a fairly low average skill ceiling. Some people can get a lot of use out of it, to the point where it can be better than most other mechs out there, but that requires a lot of experience and skill to leverage it past it's general skill ceiling.

If you don't want the Reaper to be underpowered, it's less about needing to buff it, and more about needing to know how to get inventive with how you use it.

I'll agree that the ability needs to change however.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#15 MechCraft

MechCraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostHighchu, on December 14 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Yeah, the Reaper really needs a buff. Even the SS starts to fall off the ladder once you reach the higher tiers even with its "Power Shot". The Reaper is just not fast enough and too fragile to play as a competitive frontline sniper. I still think they should just change the ability to an increased attack speed buff and change "Radar" to "Boost Thrusters" for added mobility. At least this would set it apart from the SS with power and the Reaper with speed.

Pretty much this.

Precision Overdrive's usefulness falls off significantly when running Slug. Other mechs have game-changer abilities which are extremely useful regardless of loadout - why should Reaper be an exception_

I get that we already have an official video which labels the Reaper's ability as reduced spread, but here's the thing: this is Beta. If you're going to hide behind that tag you might as well use it. Now is the time for making significant changes.

I like the idea of swapping out Radar for Boost Thrusters or Suspensions since it would give the mech some much needed mobility. I've tried running full Radar tuning on my Reaper but never found it to be worth the points, since between friendly healthbars, map pings, and untuned personal radar, you generally have a good enough idea of enemy positions. Ascension neutered Reaper by slashing its movement capabilities - getting some more of that mobility back would be a big help.

Edited by MechCraft, December 15 2013 - 10:08 AM.

Beware of ninjas.

#16 T3H_D0KT0R

T3H_D0KT0R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted December 15 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hey guys, I am a hardcore Reaper pilot who needs help with something in terms of getting away from other mechs...

My load out is a Reaper who is trying to tune up weapons loader, fuel tank, and armor. (5pts in Weapons loader, 1pt. in armor, and 3 in fuel tank.) I'm halfway through mech rank 3, and I use the Slug Rifle. I prefer to deal massive amounts of damage and try not to get into that much CQB. However, I do get into some weird fights when I am outnumbered and outgunned at close quarters. To counter, my items include the lvl. 2 H.E. charge and the lvl. 2 EMP charge, with an item that reduces cool down 10%. I just need help with a way where I can get get away from several situations and wheedle my way into my own lines without getting blown to bits. (Like a good stun item or anything along those lines.[I have already tried the ISM disruptor, isn't that effective.]) Any item adjustments or tactics I can use to edit this load out_

Edited by T3H_D0KT0R, December 15 2013 - 12:19 PM.

My old Ferrari of a build;

||Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 | Asus P5k LGA775 motherboard. | EVGA GTX 660 | 6GB Misc. DDR2 RAM | Win 7 pro ||

#17 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 15 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostT3H_D0KT0R, on December 15 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Hey guys, I am a hardcore Reaper pilot who needs help with something in terms of getting away from other mechs...

My load out is a Reaper who is trying to tune up weapons loader, fuel tank, and armor. (5pts in Weapons loader, 1pt. in armor, and 3 in fuel tank.) I'm halfway through mech rank 3, and I use the Slug Rifle. I prefer to deal massive amounts of damage and try not to get into that much CQB. However, I do get into some weird fights when I am outnumbered and outgunned at close quarters. To counter, my items include the lvl. 2 H.E. charge and the lvl. 2 EMP charge, with an item that reduces cool down 10%. I just need help with a way where I can get get away from several situations and wheedle my way into my own lines without getting blown to bits. (Like a good stun item or anything along those lines.[I have already tried the ISM disruptor, isn't that effective.]) Any item adjustments or tactics I can use to edit this load out_

You should focus more heavily on mobility in the beginning. A general rule is to max out Hydraulics on any mech that has it and the Reaper doesn't really have anything going for it in mobility besides that. Until you earn enough tuning points to really max out weapons loader you won't be noticing a significant boost in attack speed using the Slug, so I'd invest it into "Fuel Tank"/"Hydraulics" first. Once you get more familiar using the Slug+KE Sabot unzoomed you should be able to hold your own in CQC, but I don't recommended it since Reapers can't take very many hits. If you do end up in close fights you can try face-hugging, but you have to be careful of failsafe users.

Being a sniper class you shouldn't be up in the frontlines so offensive items aren't as beneficial for you. I'd bring a "Shield mk1/2" and another utility item like "Portable Scanner" or "Radar Scrambler" for team support. You can also the "Hologram" and "MG Turret" for camping. If you do want to keep using the "EMP" + "HE Charge" you should switch to the "Hawkin-RPR" for better midrange versatility and fight closer.

#18 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 06:02 PM

I want the old Reaper back. It was better at close range combat. Due to the old Reaper's all range combat viability with average damage, it had a unique jack of all trades, master of none play style. The only issue is its ability. Considering the old Reaper is basically a rifleman type class, I suggest it be even more like a rifleman and have its ability be an HE Grenade that fires on the next secondary shot. An HE Grenade that acts like regular FPS grenades. Instead of Hawken's slow and floaty grenades.

Edited by HugeGuts, December 15 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#19 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted December 17 2013 - 04:21 PM

AS AJK said, you have to leverage your strengths, Reaper (played in the right way) is a counter to other light mechs. At the reapers best engagement range, heat scouts tend to be hopping into the air for the downward shot, this is the time to hit them with slug and sabot, flack scouts can be seen far enough away you don't have to worry so much about flack, do not follow them into close range, do not let them close. Inf can be seen with radar when they try to flank, call them out and meet them with your whole team for group high fives (over their smoking chassis). Berserkers have to close to closer range. Reaper is all about controlling the engagement range, control the range and you have the advantage.

of course you could say that with most mechs :P
Iligetimi carborundum est

#20 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 17 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostGrizzled, on December 17 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

AS AJK said, you have to leverage your strengths, Reaper (played in the right way) is a counter to other light mechs. At the reapers best engagement range, heat scouts tend to be hopping into the air for the downward shot, this is the time to hit them with slug and sabot, flack scouts can be seen far enough away you don't have to worry so much about flack, do not follow them into close range, do not let them close. Inf can be seen with radar when they try to flank, call them out and meet them with your whole team for group high fives (over their smoking chassis). Berserkers have to close to closer range. Reaper is all about controlling the engagement range, control the range and you have the advantage.

of course you could say that with most mechs :P

I like group high fives.

BlackSteelBrotherhood

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users